MMR Vaccine

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Apr 22, 2014.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi ladies, hope everything is well with everyone... My kids had the first MMR shots around 12 months (or 15). We haven't had the second shots yet. The doc said they could have it now or wait until before they start kindergarten. First, I said wait. But now after I read about measles exposure in vn and like 100 or more ppl got it in 2014 in us, I am thinking about the second shots now. Am I crazy?

Did u let your kids have the second shots around 4 or wait until kindergarten? Thanks!

2. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

I am waiting. Gareth has had measles even though we had the first MMR, but it was a very light infection.

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

The recommendation is to get the first one between 12-15 months and the second between 4-6 years. Following that guideline should give them the intended protection. I think we did the second dose at their 4 year well child appointment.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did our second dose at 4 as well.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When they go in at 5, there will be other shots, I waited until they were 5 so they just had a really terrible kindergarten physical and nothing at their 4 year.  But it's your call. 

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We did it at 4 as well.  With all the Measles and other diseases coming back, I would want to do it sooner than later.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think we were able to do everything at 4 and they had nothing at 5, but I could be misremembering.

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did nothing at 4 and now we are doing it before K:)

9. w101ttd

Thanks ladies! You made me feel confident with my decision. We will have second shots tomorrow. We travel a lot. And I run 50 state half marathons. Most of my races have runners from 50 states and many from different countries. I got measles before. So I won't get it again. But I am worried I will get the virus and transfer it to my kids.

Thank you so much! And you all have a wonderful day ☺️

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was just thinking about our boosters the other day; I thought we were supposed to get notices when they turned 4, but we didn't. We've had a lot of measles around so I would like to get them in before kindergarten in the fall, at least.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did everything at 4.  My two did not need shots at the 5 year well visit or the 6 year well visit.  My kids were thrilled about that!

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did everything at 4 as well, they didnt have to have anything at 5.

13. w101ttd

So we had MMR and tetanus boosters today. I was told they wouldn't have any more shot before they turn 11. We are so happy! Thank you so much ladies! You all have a good night