Mo/Di twins: Irregular doppler from umbilical cord?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sjkar, Apr 12, 2011.

1. sjkar

sjkar Member

I am 16 weeks pregnant with Mo/Di twins and am currently being monitored every two weeks. Yesterday at the ultrasound, the tech was looking at the umbilical cords and used the doppler on both twins. She said that twin A looked good, but twin B's blood pumping didn't have a long enough "pause after the peak." She then talked to the doctor, who requested she take specific measurements. Twin A weighs 5oz and Twin B is 4oz. They decided to move me to weekly monitoring to keep a closer eye on TTTS.
    Both twins are growing and are extremely active, but I'm still worried, and not quite sure what all of this means. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I hope with the extra monitoring everything turns out fine. There is a TTTS subform you can check out. I know there are quite a few ladies on here that have TTTS experience. Thinking of you and your sweet babies.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy didn't have sufficient flow but hers was iugr not ttts. She was smaller than jazz at 24 weeks. We had biweekly monitoring to make sure there was no negative flow

4. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

My boys had ttts. I hope your babies don't. It is good that u are having frequent monitoring and just know that if it does progress there is treatment. In the meantime u should drink boost 2-3 times a day. After I started doing that my condition drastically improved.

5. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

My girls had TTTS but no major cord flow issues like reverse flow. Always make sure you lay on your left side. That gives the best blood flow to the babies. Good luck and keep us posted!

6. morgan57

morgan57 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I had mono/di boys and my baby B had a 2 vessel cord and a bad cord insertion which resulted in sub-optimal blood flow. Your situation sounds less like TTTS and more like sIUGR (like what I had) but clearly more monitoring is better in all cases and I'm no doctor!

We started to notice the poor growth in baby B around 21-22 weeks. I went on modified bedrest, drank ensures as much as I could stand, and had lots and lots of monitoring. Every week, baby B would just skate by with his growth and I ended up making it to 34.5 weeks which I was thrilled with. my baby b was born very small (3lb5oz) but he did great in the NICU and only had to stay for 3 weeks.

If you want to talk, please feel free to email or PM me. I was in your shoes not very long ago and i know how tough it is. Mono/di pregnancies are just so difficult!

BTW there are great resources at fetalhope.com and tttsfoundation.com for women with id twin pregnancies.

7. sjkar

sjkar Member

Thanks for all the support!!! I'm just a worrier by nature so a high risk pregnancy just amplifies that. Baby B has always measured 2-3 days smaller than Baby A, but continues to grow and progress. I have an ultrasound this monday so fingers crossed!
    I've also just started the Boost thing, I hear that's the best thing!!
    I'm worried they might put me on bed rest, but if it will help the babies, I'm all about it. I put myself on "Rest As Much As Possible" even though my mom thinks I'm being lazy. I'm just busy all the time (full time grad student, part time job, planning a wedding, studying to take the bar exam) so whenever I'm home, I try to lay down.
    Being preggo is hard!