Momo Twins, if not, then what?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by bworthey, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bworthey

bworthey Member

This is my first post here, and like many I come looking for information, as google is not my friend right now. Long story short, after a long battle with infertility, and 2 miscarriages, my wife and I had an ultrasound this passed Wednesday, saw and heard one heartbeat! Was AWESOME! We also saw another circle in there, looked like a sac, but saw no baby or anything. The nurse or whoever she was said she'd never seen anything like that, then either my wife or I mentioned the possibility of twins and she said if it is, it would be the "worst" kind. This lead me to google in the first place, looking for what it could be and I stumbled upon momo twins...something I'd never heard of! Now, granted we didn't see anything in the other sac/circle, but it was still really early (6w1d). If this isn't possibly momo twins, what else could it be? I've read some things about blood vessels busting possibly, causing a hema-something...(sorry, don't know ALL the technical language yet)....but would that be as perfectly round looking as the other sac with the baby???

As you can see I'm freaking out a bit here....the doctor's office (our RE) called back that afternoon, as they said they would, to let us know the next step, which they said would probably be another ultrasound (routine) before releasing us to our regular OB/GYN. They want my wife to come back in Monday, which I know is close to another week since Wednesday, but it sort of has me concerned! On the other hand, it could just be because the doc didn't get to see us Wednesday....any one else keeping up with all of this??? HAHA!

Sorry to have come in and blasted this in my first post, but just wondering what else that little circle could be!

Thanks,

B-Worthey

2. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats! I'm sorry but I have no idea what that spot could be, I'm hoping you get some answers at your next appointment. If it does turn out to be twins, there is lots of great support here!! Keep us updated.

~Katie

3. debid

debid Well-Known Member

The nurse should not have said anything. It isn't her job to interpret the ultrasound and she's gotten you all worked up over something that very well could be nothing. At 6 weeks, it's possible there is a second baby a little behind the first and so you can't see a heartbeat yet. It could also be that there was a second, empty sac because a second egg implanted but failed to develop (in which case the sac will remain empty and eventually will re-absorb).

Momo twins are VERY rare, empty sacs in early pregnancy are common. Take a deep breath.

4. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

question the second circle was inside te first one? or you mean inside the uterus?
    In my case I had u/s at 5w2d and they saw one sac ( nothing else) and I was happy but because we transfer 3 RE was looking for others and didn't find anything .
    I had spotting at 5w6d and had another u/s where they saw only one sac ( again no hb or fetal pole. )
    at my next u/s at 6w2d when I already was pretty sure that we only have one baby in and my RE is vrazy about looking for others my RE saw the HB in this sac but she also saw another sac it was partially hidden behinf the first one and she didnt see anything else I mean no fetal pole no hb
    She told me that it is look like twin but it might be vanishing twins and will not survive so let wait 1 week and see and she sent me to MFM ( maternal fetal medicine) for better u/s in a week I was 7w2d I had u/s and the tech said CONGRATULATION you are having twins and both normal with good heart beating. the second sac was hiding behinf the first ( and it was couple of days behind).
    I am really hope that everything will end up with happy end for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy!! :) That u/s tech or nurse or whoever told you it could be the "worst kind" of twins was very irresponsible in her comments. Momo twins are VERY rare and very difficult to diagnosis. I'm not sure how far along your wife is but if momo's are suspected the diagnosis can be questionable for several weeks. There have been many pg moms on here who had a questionable momo diagnosis and sometimes not until 16 weeks or later did they find the dividing membrane (momo's share an amniotic sac so there's never a dividing membrane.) This membrane can be VERY difficult to see on u/s. Anyway, I wouldn't worry- enjoy your wife's pregnancy and keep us posted!! :)

6. Debbie F

Debbie F Well-Known Member

She should never have said the worst kind - I had the worst kind! It is a Monoamniotic Monochroion pregnancy. My girls were born at 32 weeks and that was almost 3 years ago and are thriving and doing great!!!!

It is a stressful highrisk pregnancy, but with proper knowledge and medical care, a positive outcome can happen.

Best of luck

7. red_rose_pedal@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

QUOTE(Debbie F @ Mar 20 2009, 12:33 PM) [snapback]1236931[/snapback]
    She should never have said the worst kind - I had the worst kind! It is a Monoamniotic Monochroion pregnancy. My girls were born at 32 weeks and that was almost 3 years ago and are thriving and doing great!!!!

It is a stressful highrisk pregnancy, but with proper knowledge and medical care, a positive outcome can happen.

Best of luck

I agree. Momo twins are rare but would not say the worst kind. I have momo identical twin girls who will be 5 in a weeks time. They are healthy beautiful babies, that I wouldn't trade for any other type of twins! If it is momo twins then yes, it is a high risk pregnancy but like the previous post, their can be and is positive outcomes. Wishing you the best.

8. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

I don't have any knowledge in this area but I wanted you to know that I wish you the very best. Good luck, whatever the outcome, congratulations on the pregnancy!

9. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Membranes as mentioned above can be almost impossible to see. At 24 weeks they could barely she my girls' membrane between them. it was just a hairs breath thin