mono/di twins at 35 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by smith0529, May 13, 2009.

1. smith0529

smith0529 Member

Just got back from doctors appt, currently I am 29+2 days prego with mono/di twin boys. The whole time, my ob has said we will plan a c-section for 37 weeks (baby b has been breech the entire time). I told him today that I have been having slight cramping and my stomach has been getting extremely hard, he told me to take it easy and we will be lucky if we make it to 35 weeks. I start NST's on Monday to check for contractions/hb's. He didnt go into much detail as to the sudden change in the length of this pregnancy and I was a bit shocked to think our babies could be here so soon to ask why he felt this way. Question is how soon did your mono/di babies enter the world? I have read the sticky on birth week and nicu time, just curious how many of them decided to come early!

Thanks ..sarah

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My twins were mono-di and yes I went into labour at 35 weeks. But the good news is that they were ready to be born. They were capable of breathing on their own, both over 5 pounds, and able to maintain their temperature. The only thing is Gabby (baby B) did have some sucking issues, but that wasn't so hard to over come and they were able to room with me.

3. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks 4 days and while one of them did require a short stay in the NICU for some breathing issues, they are perfectly healthy active 18 month olds today! Good luck! You'll probably surprise your ob and go to your scheduled c section date!

4. smith0529

smith0529 Member

QUOTE(Jenn G @ May 13 2009, 12:39 PM) [snapback]1312111[/snapback]
    Mine were born at 35 weeks 4 days and while one of them did require a short stay in the NICU for some breathing issues, they are perfectly healthy active 18 month olds today! Good luck! You'll probably surprise your ob and go to your scheduled c section date!

Did you have any signs/problems, and did you know they would come a earlier than expected? Trying not to worry to much, just want them to stay inside and grow as long as possible! :eek:

5. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34 weeks and 3 days. 1 week in the nicu to work on feeding. My ob delivered because the placenta was getting old, which can happen in mono di pregnancies if they stay in too long.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think the average for mono-di twins is 35.5 weeks, and over 32 weeks the long term outcome for preemie babies is very very good, so if you can make it to then, you're doing well! Hang in there!

7. BostonBoys08

BostonBoys08 Member

Yeah...I think I read somewhere that 50% of twins are born before 36 weeks (I was in the 50% that went before). It's a battle for every day in the end but just do your best and trust that your babies are in good hands if they need to come earlier rather than later! I remember one of my triage nurses asking me: " You do realize that you have no control in this, right?" Ummm...what do you mean? :)

8. 2Xthefun20

2Xthefun20 Member

Well I started having contractions at 26 weeks, then at 29 1/2 weeks I went into PTL and was told I probably wouldn't make it more than a few days, but I did... then I was told I wouldn't make it to 34 weeks, and I did.. then I went into labor again at 34 weeks and was told I wouldn't make it more than a few days (again), but here I am at 36 1/2 weeks and they are still in here! Now I am wanting them to get out of there, which I never thought I would!

Guess my point is, don't worry too much, just do your best and they will come when they decide to! If you are worried, it will help nerves to stay down and drink a lot of water! I always had a lot less contractions when I stayed hydrated.

Also, from what my nurses and doctors have said, the twins they have seen early usually have NICU time, but they generally pull out of it and become healthy little babies! They have a lot of experience with twins and preterm, they will be in good hands. Good luck!

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls are mono/di & were born at 34w1d. i started having PTL signs at around 27 weeks & was put on modified bedrest with twice weekly NSTs (we have a program here where nurses come & do the NSTs in your home - it's awesome!). i also had a round of steroid shots for the girls' lungs. anyway, they both spent 13 days in the NICU - Danika spent about 18 hours on CPAP but otherwise they were just feeding & growing. now they're super healthy, happy 10 month olds who are teaching their mommy how to see out of the back of her head. ;)

while it can be difficult, i agree with PPs - try not to worry! you & your babies are in good hands. maybe write down some of the concerns/questions you have so that you remember what you want to ask your doc at your next appointment. :hug: