Monochorionic Monoamniotic Twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kbrown5199, Jan 19, 2010.

1. kbrown5199

kbrown5199 Member

My name is Krista, and I am VERY new to the twin world. We just discovered yesterday that we are expecting twins! This is our forth pregnancy, we have three beautiful healthy children ages 6, 5, and 3. This pregnancy was a huge surprise to us, but we are very excited. When we found out it was twins, we were totally shocked. However, the bad news is that they are monochorionic monoamniotic (MoMo) twins. I had no idea what that meant, so I read up on it last night, and now I am terrified. I read that the babies have a 50/50 chance of surviving. I'm looking for other twin families who have gone through the same thing.

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know you.

Krista
    Mom to CJ 6, Josh 5, Sarah 3
    Twins EDD 9/11/10

2. maeghanalyson

maeghanalyson Active Member

haha I just posted asking about MoMo twins too. I'm due Aug.18th with MoMo twins. :) We can be terrified together. lol

3. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

Hi Krista! :) You sound very similar to me in the family situation - we were shocked to discover we were expecting twins when we already had a 6,5 and 3yr old! LOL My twins were monochorionic, but diamniotic so I didn't have as many fears as you do. i have no advice on the mo-mo aspect but I do know I've heard of many that HAVE survived and there is a website out there specifically for mo-mo twins - I honestly can't remember the name offhand but I'm sure someone here will post the link!!

HUGS HUGS HUGS And congratulations on your twins! :) Its a roller coaster ride with 5 ages 7 and under but I'm surviving! :) I hope your babies fight this and are born happy and healthy!

4. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Hi Krista - I'd definitely check out monoamniotic.org - I spent a lot of time there when I thought my twins were mo-mo. Mine turned out to be mono-di boys. I had five ultrasounds before a membrane was found - don't give up hope, you many have that membrane, too. There are a number of us on this board who have had similar experiences.

Good luck!

5. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins!! I would want to second what amymc said- the dividing membrane can be VERY difficult to find so don't give up hope that it's there. Mo/mo's are pretty rare so the odds are in your favor. They thought my boys were mo/mo at first but were able to find the membrane with a high resolution u/s machine at a peri's office. My ob was never able to find it on her machine. Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

6. kbrown5199

kbrown5199 Member

Thank you to all who have replied. I have been looking at this picture for hours, I have a headache trying to find some kind of membrane. I have a Level II scheduled for February 3. I spoke with the perinatalogist this morning and she said she is hopeful that there will be a membrane because there are two yolk sacs. She said that is a very good sign. I used the ultrasound pic as my profile pic so you can see what they are calling MoMo twins. I have hope either way that I will be welcoming these two, healthy precious babies into the world sometime late this summer! I'm SO excited to be here!!!

7. morgan57

morgan57 Well-Known Member

kbrown- it is next to impossible to see the membrane without a high resolution ultrasound machine...most OBs won't even try (telling you they are momo without a high res ultrasound is really irresponsible in my opinion).

two yolk sacs is a GREAT sign..almost always, two yolk sacs means a dividing membrane.

good luck! i gave birth to identical twin (mono/di) boys and they are so much fun! feel free to pm with any questions you have along the way :)

8. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I just noticed that we have the same due date - mine was in 2009, though. Here's a link to my first ultrasound shot 1/28/09:

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/amymc72/amt1.jpg

I was 8 weeks. I had ultrasounds at 12, 15, 18 and 20 weeks before we saw a membrane at the peri at 21ish weeks. My OB said that it is not uncommon to not be able to see a membrane until later (ie 20 weeks-ish). I gather that they can confirm that they are mo-mo earlier than that, however, if there is cord entanglement.

Anyway, I thought my picture might give you some reassurance.

9. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

Imagine this being said with the fondest of hugs and smiles - I'd suggest you stop now - or you're gonna drive yourself nuts! We got one glimpse of the membrane between my duo at each u/s and each time it literally waved in and out of the picture. Enough that we SAW it, but not enough to keep it on the screen long enough to get a picture. It was there - and poof - it was gone. It was rated at being 1mm thick (or thin if you want to get technical! LOL)

I hope you get a glimpse of a membrane in the near future between your duo too. It takes away a major fear and reduces the panic mode to a slightly lower level. Mono/di twins have their own issues - but to go to that from mo/mo would be a blessing!

HUGS

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

You cannot officially diagnose mo mo twins until AT LEAST 11 weeks ESP if there are 2 yolk sacs. The 2 yolk sacs is a determinant of mono di twins a minimum of 90% of the time. It looks GOOD!

We saw my membrane a few times ONLY and that was after SEARCHING with different techs etc for up to an hour each time w/ a level 2 machine. They are like whisps of hair.

It doesn't surprise me AT ALL that you cannot see it.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Congrats!

Just make sure you're seeing a Perinatologist right off the bat as you need to be closely monitored since they are sharing a placenta.

11. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am 16 weeks along pregnant with momo twins, I didn't find out until I was 12 weeks that I was having twins at all, let alone momo and all that entails until then so I know how you feel. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get past the initial SHOCK of everything. I had a scan today and they still look momo so I'm just hoping for the best and praying alot. I also am just trying to keep my mind occupied, good luck to you. feel free to email me if you want a support buddy. :)

12. ryount35

ryount35 New Member

But were your twins ever touching in a sono picture? They can't find my membrane but I have two distinct yolk sacs. I am also 8 1/2 weeks along. The last picture, they were cuddling. Is that even possible with a membrane there?

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

mine were head to head holding hands. yes they can touch the entire time. the membrane is a whisp of hair. that is all it is.