Montessori for higher elementary grades?

Discussion in 'General' started by Katheros, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Montessori education for older elementary grades, like 5th, 6th grades?   My twins have gotten a place in a charter Montessori school for next year, they'll be in 5th grade.  I'm just wondering basically what to expect as far as classroom experience for them, parent involvement.. anything really.  I know the basic premise of Montessori as it pertains to kindergarten and younger, but not sure how it works for older kids.  I haven't had much luck finding any info on the internet, I think my Googling skills are broken!   What little I did find out is that they have kids in groups by age and that they work with younger and older kids, teaching and being taught by their peers.  

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I wish I had something to add. But really my understanding is it's just more child-lead and that there's still instruction, it's just flows more naturally with each child's interest. And I think the ages are within 3 years in the class. But I'm not certain on that. 

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Yah, that's basically all I know about it as well.  Guess I'll be learning more about it soon!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know at our two Montessori Charter Schools here grades 4 and 5 are combined together and that's considered "upper elementary".  The kids have their assignments for the week and can finish them as they please and in the order they please.  The teacher walks around and facilitates learning or might meet with small groups or individual students to give instruction.  Kids can work together alone or with a group of students to complete task.....again anyway goes as to how they want to complete things.There are no whole class lessons, but as I mentioned before could be small group or individual student lessons.  You are right, they are grouped like they are so that the younger grade level can be taught and helped by the older grade level and the older grade level can model certain things.  Very child centered and not as structured as a standard school would be.  And then "middle school" is grades 6-8.

1 person likes this.
  5. JandCsMom

JandCsMom Well-Known Member

My boys, who are now 15, went to Montessori schools through the 8th grade.  When we were trying to decide whether to continue with Montessori beyond preschool, we found the book "Montessori Today: A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood" by Paula Polk Lillard (2011) to be very informative on what goes on in a Montessori classroom during the elementary years.  My kids were Montessori-educated from age 3--I'm not sure I would have sent them into an elementary Montessori environment without them having been in the program during their preschool years.  Even at the preschool level, it takes a while for a child to be "normalized" (Maria Montessori's word) into the Montessori classroom and methodology.  I suspect it would be a little more difficult for an older child who has been in a  traditional classroom situation to adapt to Montessori's way of doing things.... 

6. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

In high school, it becomes more difficult to learn and parents can not always help with homework. Therefore, it makes sense to find a reliable and professional paper writing service to solve any issues with school essays and other papers as quickly as possible. This will be the best solution.

7. Oliver56

Oliver56 Active Member

Kessedi, thank you for your recommendation but I have checked your website and it didn't work at all. Probably you can advise me something else? Thank you in advance for any help here! :)

8. Oliver56

Oliver56 Active Member

Nobody has answered me so I did my own research and I have found that there are lots of different paper writer services and all of them have very different prices and other terms as well. I really liked the conditions of paperduenow service as they are really good. I ordered one assignment there and they did it sooo fast. I'm really happy and glad that I have found them.... I like the quality of their works as everything is perfect there. If someone here has the same problem - you can check them too.

9. Kris Granilore

Kris Granilore New Member

I am very worried that soon the child will go back to school. During the pandemic and remote training, I was very nervous. I even had to see a therapist dr.mental I found them on the advice of a friend, she went through several consultations there and was satisfied with the result. I hope I don't have to endure such stress with my studies anymore.