Montessori preschool or regular preschool?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Feb 11, 2013.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am looking for my kids new preschool. And I found 1 best regular preschool and 1 Montessori preschool. Both have awesome previews. the way me and my husband were raised,and the way we raise our kids are similar to Montessori. But I am not so sure that its the best idea to send them there. I have done research on the internet. But still wanna ask your opinions on this. Thank you so much!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

If your kids are used to that kind of teaching methods, and do well with them, I think they'd do great in both. So I'd visit them and see which one you like the best (and I'd probably go with the cheaper one hah!).

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If Montessori wasn't so expensive, we would have gone that route in a heartbeat.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I think it totally depends on your children. I wanted to send the girls to a Montessori (I love the model) but it wasn't in the schedule/budget (later drop off than my work day starts and it was about 50% more than where they are now).

My boss has three kids in Montessori school and it's a wonderful fit for two of them, but they're struggling with the third child. Their youngest requires a more regimented schedule and is very easily distracted, so they plan to switch where he is next year. If you're already somewhat Montessori in your approach at home, though, I imagine that your kids would thrive!

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We love the Montessori preschool our boys attend!

6. w101ttd

Thank you so much!

I was ready to submit the application to the best preschool in our city. its a private catholic from preschool to 8 grades. But then I read about Montessori program ( and other programs as well). I changed my mind. First thing came to me was "this is what we have been doing all along." And I love the independence and real experiences, freedom to learn that the Montessori offers. it just well fits our life style. My husband and I are engineers. We have learned a lot from books. But the most importance is still real experiences. We travel a lot. And my kids explore to so many new real things, not just from reading or watching. And its amazing how much they grow mentally. We are very happy with their developments. We have decided to send them to Montessori children's center this year. However, it offers PK-7. I am not sure how they will adjust when they will have to switch to regular school. Thanks again :)!

1 person likes this.
  7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My husband has done Montessori Elementary, and I have done Montessori high school. There is no way I would send my kids to a Montessori school. Montessori suits children, it suited me, but I believe it doesn't suit the majority, I have seen so many children struggle in Montessori, it wasn't right for them. My husband didn't think he learned much until much later. It's way too free based on what we have both experienced, too vague. Our children follow the PYP curriculum (Interbaccalaureate) which is inquiry-based so lots of freedom but with a variety of boundaries.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I agree with this!!

I loved the idea of Montessori and we did implement a lot of it in our home.....that said. We tried the local (well reviewed) Montessori for my DDs when they were 3.

For one DD- it just was not a good fit. The school and staff were wonderful, but with 30 kids in the class, lots going on at one time, and a lot of 'open' time for works- it just didnt work for one DD and she started displaying stressed behaviors. She needed a schedule with shorter sessions of intensity, fewer kids, and lots of verbal encouragement.

We switched them to a play-based preschool that worked wonderfully! The much more structured routine with lots of play was a better fit for her at that time. Also, she was allowed more 'pretend play' there and it was a more literacy rich environment and at that time she had some social skills to learn and would often 'retreat' in to books or pretend play when feeling overwhelmed. That was not possible at the Montessori school-- which is not a negative since they had so many other wonderful aspects, but for her it simply did not work.

I still love the philosophy of Montessori though!

9. w101ttd

I do agree that Montessori is not for every kids. But it is the best for some. My kids are going to play-based preschool (we took them out of school last and this months since so many kids were sick at school). And they kept telling that they liked their friends but its bothering. And I could see they didnt learn much from school since last Oct. But they love to play and learn at home. And they have learned so much from home. we teach them with methods similar to Montessori. They tell me what they want to play/learn. I dont tell them. No pressure what they need to learn. So far they develop so well. They know alphabets, 1-10, simple math (+/-), shapes, colors, words. They can spell some simple words. They also get along well with older kids. So we think we will give Montessori program a try. I am just not so sure if i want them to continue the program after kindergarten or not though.

We are the member of discovery museum (its just childrens museum). The way the museum set up is just like Montessori as well. The museum offers Montessori preschool. Its teacher:student ratio is 1:7. And we plan on sending them there since they love love the museum. We'll see how it will go this year. Thanks

10. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

My kids went to a Montessori preschool. They loved it and so did we. There was a great quote up on the wall there that says a lot about Montessori philosophy: "There is nothing in the mind that was not first in the hands."

Also, both of them have had no trouble transitioning to non-Montessori kindergarten.

11. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My kids attend the nursery class at a Montessori school. They are now 2.5 and it suits their personalities. I think is depends on your kids,the school and teacher that they have. My kids have a wonderful teacher with 2 assistants for 11 kids. The school is situated on a farm, so a beautiful environment too. They are able to observe the farm activities as they happen throughout the year. I would give it a go you will soon know if it is the right school for them.