Montessori Schools

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babymOmmax2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I am highly considering enrolling the twins into a Montessori School in the fall (they'll be 18 months which is enrollment requirement). I was wondering if any of you plan on or have already enrolled your child into their program? They seem highly accredited and very educational which I'm all about. I'm nervous because I am a SAHM, so I'm not too sure how the transition would go, but think it may be worth giving a try..

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My boys go to the Montessori Toddler Program (ages 2-3) this year and it was a very good program. They learned to listen to other adults, play with other kids, clean up after themselves, bring dishes to the sink, follow routine. I am not a fan of the Montessori preschool but I think their toddler program was wonderful.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I love everything about Montessori schools and will send my girls to a Montessori elementary if possible (there's only one here with a very long waiting list). As long as the school you're looking at is a true Montessori -- actually accredited -- then I think it's worth it. Many schools say they're a "montessori school" but aren't affiliated with the national accreditation organization so there's no real standards review.

If you want to PM me the name of the actual school you're looking at, I'll ask my mom for her opinion. I noticed you're in Rochester; so is she, and she's been an early childhood educator her entire adult life.

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I haven't thought about school at all yet!

5. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

i have heard and read only good things about montessori. however, i believe they are kind of a 'franchise' now so they are not all run exactly the same.... i'd just check it out first and make sure it's all you've heard. also, you might want to find out if they have an special policies or rules about twins. my parenting class teacher (it's for twins) said sometimes twins are treated differently or treated like a unit, or whatever. it's good to just have an idea of what to expect.....

gl!

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

My DP went to a Montessori as a child and can't say enough good things about their methods. We are eager to get our children enrolled in a Montessori program but have to figure out where we will be living before we do it. We're thinking about moving to another state, but here in AZ, most Montessori's are charter schools and free just like public schools after the Kindergarten level. If we stay here, they will go to Montessori for as long as possible.

I agree with the pp's suggestions to tour the school, and I would also suggest touring a couple of other programs for their age group, just to get a feel for how these programs work.

Jeri Lynn's suggestion to ask a lot of questions about how twins are handled is a great one!