Montessori schools?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Poohbear05, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

My kids currently go to a Montessori based daycare/preschool - however the center does not do school aged, plus we are starting to have some issues where we are thinking of moving everyone..

Did/do your kids go to Montessori? How much is tuition? Do you and your kids like the approach to learning that they have?? Does your child have any type of learning disability, and does the Montessori approach help them to thrive?

I have 1 child that I think needs a different approach to education - but I really would like to put all 3 of my children into a Montessori program. The ones I've found are terribly expensive though. I can't imagine why they'd charge like it's a private school - that seems ridiculous to me especially if you have a child with a learning disability that would thrive from the different approach to teaching...

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are but we have the Boyd school and I have heard great things about it from people who send their kids there. Tuition is a fortune. Does your area have any charter schools that offer any sort of alternative teaching that might benefit your kids? That might be a less costly option.

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My personal view is that Montessori is overrated. I am no fan, and I've been through a 6 year Montessori high school. It's fine for some kids (it was fine for me) but the majority need more (or a different) structure. My children follow the Primary Years Programme (IB-diploma), and we've been very happy with that. May not be that easy to find in the US. I gives them a lot of independance but structure at the same time. They are responsible for their own learning but do get clear boundaries, etc. Montessori is too free for me, plus I don't like the large age ranges at (most) schools. There is plenty of range in a year group (our school caters well for individual and special needs), so no need to "overdo" it. Again, just my personal experience.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of Montessori--- we tried it and it did not work well for my DDs. There was not enough allowance for creativity (ability to play with works other than the prescribed way) and the class had too many kids (30+).

My DD that had social/gross motor needs did the worst (vs her more typical twin) and really needed more structure/social interaction. She was allowed and encouraged to play by herself (which she did) a majority of the time.

I still think it is a good program for some kids and like the idea/philosophy of it....but it did not work for us and was very expensive. Ours was a private school (preschool- 5th) and charged accordingly.

5. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Irene:
    We're in Hampton VA. I'v looked into Charter schools, but there's only 1 on our side of the water and it's a High School in Yorktown. :( Which is why I turned to Montessori to begin with.

Franca: I almost didn't agree with the age range, but I see my son (2.5) learning SO much from my DD's (4) that I can definetly see the benefits, so long as it's used to the advantage of the kids (older kids teaching younger kids) and not just all the kids left to play in the room together

KC:
    I know there are two methods to the Montessori belief. Some schools are accredited by I think the AMI or AMS. One of them (AMI I believe) follows the more strict, original Montessori method, which allows for little to no creativity at all. The other one has adapted a freer(sp?) way of teaching and allows for a lot more creativity. At least from my understanding of the little bit of research I've done so far.. :) LOL

I'm just concerned that my daughter will have the same problems I had. I never had a problem being interested in learning and school, I just could never pay attention longer than a nanosecond. I was much more of a hands on child (even now I have trouble with lecture style teaching) when it came to learning...

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Here are my comments from a thread in 2009...

I always said I would not send my kids to a Montessori school. When I was getting my degree, I had to do hours in a public Montessori (public ones are rare I guess). I did not like the amount of unstructured time. Most public school teachers dont care for the Montessori philosophy. It is just so different from a traditional philosophy. So many times, kids will enter the public school system after going to Montessori and the teachers can easily point out the kids who came from Montessori. They often have a difficult time transitioning to a traditional setting. That is definitely a generalization though. Many kids adjust just fine. My cousin sent all 5 of her boys there and it was a perfect fit for them and then they went to a public school with no issues. I had a student once come into my 1st grade room and she was so sweet and was fine too. I know a kind. teacher though who has taught forever and has major issues with Montessori. She has talked to the Montessori where the kids come from that feed into her district and told her of all the problems and I guess the Montessori director has done all she could to make it more traditional without changing the theory. With that said though, I observed there and did not care for it at all.

When I was in college, I think the reason I thought I would not like Montessori is because I had the traditional view of kids sitting in desks and that is why I maybe would not like Montessori. When I had my own classroom, I second guessed myself because I thought my classroom may be similar to a Montessori classroom with the centers and small group settings. The kids were not always sitting in their seats. (It ends up my thoughts now are like my original thoughts...I dont care for the philosophy.)

After saying I would not send my kids there, I ended up sending them to the toddler program (for ages 2-3) this year. It was the only place that would take two year olds in diapers!!! They had an awesome experience. Learned how to socialize, clean up after themselves, wash their hands, move about a classroom, and listen to other adults. I was sure I was going to send them next year but needed to observe the preschool setting.

There is a preschool here by my house connected to a childrens farm that I wanted to observe first. I did that on a Thur and really liked it. There was nothing I did not like so I thought I would be so confused when I observed the Montessori the following day.

I was there at the Montessori as the kids walked in. They washed their hands and then sat in a BIG oval around the teacher. The teacher was introducing new work in front of her on the floor. I did not like that some of the 3 year olds were all the way on the other side of the carpet and could not even see what she was doing. Some were resting on the aides lap. They could care less. The 5 year olds were interested. Montessori believes that one of the positives to having 3-5 year olds being in the same room is so that when the 5 year olds master a skill, they can teach it to the younger ones and that just proves that they really mastered the skill. I never saw that taking place. I also dont think it is the job of a five year old to feel the need/expectation to show the three year olds how to do certain work. It made me realize that I beleive that is too big of an age range to be in one room.

After the carpet lesson, the kids were able to walk around and find their work. I watched as one of the 3 year olds (probably almost 4 years old now) went right to snack (munchkins that day). They can have snack when they want through out the day (it is supposed to be just once). After this kid had snack, he roamed around the room and within minutes was eating a munchkin again at the snack table. That bothered me.

Another little boy was working nicely in the corner but it gave me a sad feeling because he was all alone. Nobody was able to even see the work he was doing to tell him he was doing a nice job. Not that kids always need praise but he could have been sitting there doing the work wrong.

Another boy was doing math work. He was writing the answers and one answer was 8 plus 2 and the boy wrote '01'. As a teacher, I know reversals are very developmental but I was bothered when the teacher looked over his shoulder and never pointed out his reversal. It could have gently been pointed out to him. How will he learn if he is not shown? Again, could have been just the teacher.

The one positive I have is that the amount of materials in the room is amazing!

7. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we are in a reggio emelia preschool - it shares some of the Montessori philosophy, but much less academic.

We love it as it is child directed - they do group activities and then have some free time. It's mixed ages, 3 to 5, which works perfectly for us because we can have them in the same classroom, but they are in different groups. Snack time is like Nicole described, but I actually like that. Kids are not necessarily hungry on a schedule - mine in particular - and I like that snack is available throughout the morning. We have some serious issues with the director, but love what they are doing in the classroom.

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

As far as snack, I dont mind having it when they are ready for it but I did not like that he had snack, walked around, and had snack again and no teacher guided him to a work area. That was after circle time with the teacher to begin their day. So a huge chunk of time went by and this little boy had done no work (or even play).

9. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Raichel, I understand what you're saying but I think the older ones need to learn as well. Of course they learn from younger ones, but I personally feel there is plenty of range in age (1 year) and ability in a normal class room already. Don't see the need to make the gap even bigger. I believe the younger ones will benefit significantly more than the older ones ... and that's just wrong in my opinion.

10. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

My twins did preschool at a Montessori based school. They loved it there and really thrived! My 5 year old went to a regular preschool and did great there too (I didn't have enough time to get her to the Montessori school and get my kids to public school). Now, my almost 3 year old will be starting a Montessori preschool in September that just opened a mile down the road. I can't wait. i really liked their philosophy and the kids did great. I am sure my son will too!

11. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I don't understand this part. It is a private school so why wouldn't they charge for it? Just because it works under a different educational philosophy doesn't mean that they don't have the right to make a profit above their costs.

12. 2XBlessed+1Angel

2XBlessed+1Angel Well-Known Member

Mine go to a Montessori. They went to 2 years of preschool and are now full day Kinder. They are in the same class and stay in each group for 3 years so that the younger ones learn from the older and the older help teach the younger ones for leadership. For us, it is absolutely perfect. I really enjoy the global concepts they learn, real life situations and being allowed to be an individual. One of my sons is more easily frustrated ( a bit of a perfectionist) and they really help him to get calm and refocus. Our teachers are caring, intuitive and extremely well educated but very patient and really help the kids figure things out on their own. It is definitely not a do-this or do-that whether you like it or not philosophy. They do have work they have to complete and are guided and encouraged to do so. Our school decided to do state tests last year (not required for us) to see where we "rank" with public schools. We ranked higher in every category/subject tested. Our classes are small: 2 teachers/15 kids so we really get one-on-one attention which I love. It is a private non-profit school so we do lots of fundraising to help keep tuition down but it is not free. It goes up through 6th grade so I have awhile to figure out the next step. I hope you find the perfect school for your little ones.