More c/s vs. vag. discussion

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by symercat, Dec 18, 2006.

1. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have an OB and a peri, but my OB will be delivering the babies. I think that is a little scary, but I think it will be fine. I just can't seem to decide which is a better option if I get to choose. My OB said that if baby A is vertex, then a vag delivery would be fine. At 25 wks mine were still moving around quite a bit. For those of you who have already gone through the twin pregnancy thing, at what point in your pregnancy did the drs think the twins wouldn't move?

I'm totally paranoid about delivering vag w/ first baby and having to do a c/s w/ the second. I just read a long discussion about this on a previous forum discussion. My OB said this was rare and that she would get me some stats on this. I put her on the spot and asked her which option is the absolute safest for the babies and she said c/s, but I can tell she doesn't think this is necessary at least for now. I have this MAJOR fear of one of the babies getting a cord wrapped around their neck. I also had major abdominal surgery in O5' which left me w/ a c-section like scar and I recovered from that quickly so a c/s doesn't scare me too much.

Many of you seem to know what you prefer and are determined to do right away. How did you make that decision?

Getting paranoid mother to be

2. symercat

I have an OB and a peri, but my OB will be delivering the babies. I think that is a little scary, but I think it will be fine. I just can't seem to decide which is a better option if I get to choose. My OB said that if baby A is vertex, then a vag delivery would be fine. At 25 wks mine were still moving around quite a bit. For those of you who have already gone through the twin pregnancy thing, at what point in your pregnancy did the drs think the twins wouldn't move?

I'm totally paranoid about delivering vag w/ first baby and having to do a c/s w/ the second. I just read a long discussion about this on a previous forum discussion. My OB said this was rare and that she would get me some stats on this. I put her on the spot and asked her which option is the absolute safest for the babies and she said c/s, but I can tell she doesn't think this is necessary at least for now. I have this MAJOR fear of one of the babies getting a cord wrapped around their neck. I also had major abdominal surgery in O5' which left me w/ a c-section like scar and I recovered from that quickly so a c/s doesn't scare me too much.

Many of you seem to know what you prefer and are determined to do right away. How did you make that decision?

Getting paranoid mother to be

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

At last weeks appt. my peri told me that my baby A may move but he would say that head down would be the last place she would go! I was 35 weeks. (her rear end is down at my cervix)
    On the other hand - my aunt's twins turned the night before a scheduled c-section and she delivered vaginally! So I guess anything is possible!! I am going to have a c-section unless BOTH babies are head down.

4. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

i personally am thinking about just doing a c/s mainly because this will be my last pregnancy and because the hospitals down here have really weird hours for tubal operations. if i have a c/s right away they will do the tubal immediately. if i have them vag and i have them on monday thru thursday they will do the tubal within 12 hours after birth. if i have them vag on friday, saturday, or sunday i'd have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to have the tubal. i just don't want to wait that long and they can't just put my babies on a schedule like that and say that they won't do it for 4 to 6 weeks i just won't let that happen. so i am seriously thinking about doing c/s anyways. my husband said that he was ok with that if that is what i want and my OB said that some women preferred the same option down here in my area.
    lots of love!
    meshell

5. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

I decided on a c/s b-4 I knew I was having twins because my last baby ended up being an unexpected c/s. I went all the way through labor, was dialated to a 10, 100% efaced, and ready to deliver when DD got stuck in a face presentation position. so there was just no way she was comming out naturally. I had to have a c/s. so I was kinda afraid of that happening again, and the recovery was harder than just one or the other since I'd prety much done both.

so I have no idea when babies quit flipping or whatnot, but my baby B keeps going back and forth between head up and head down. I'd say ask your OB about that.

as far as deciding what kind of delivery to go for my only sugguestion is talk to your DR, and see what she thinks. there are just so many variables that can't really be predicted. I think you should go with what you're most comfortable with. I think if my last delivery hadn't been a c/s I'd at least be hoping for a vaginal delivery this time too.

good luck deciding. If I hadn't already made up my mind because of my last delivery I think I'd still be wondering what I should do too.

I don't think I was much help. sorry
    Michelle

6. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

My decision was literally a game time one. All along because of the babies positions my dh and I and our ob were prepared for a c/s, but the morning that one of the girls water broke, my ob did an ultrasound and they were in position to go vaginal. So she gave me the choice, I didn't even talk to my dh about it, I just blurted out vaginal. For me I think it was that I wanted to have the experience of vaginal (I didn't know if these would be my only kids) and I have a friend who had just been through a c/s and I was a little scared of it.

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I went with my docs suggestion and as long as Baby A was head down we would attempt vaginal, he was always head down so we always had vaginal planned.

I am one of those people that all your fears happened to. Baby B's heart rate began to fall after her brother was born. I had an emergency c-section and come to find out his cord was around her neck. That being said, given the same situation I would not have changed a thing and would have still attempted a vaginal delivery.

8. ali k

ali k Well-Known Member

My girls were both vertex at 34 weeks, then baby B flipped breech at 36 weeks & I was very upset since I really wanted to try for a vag delivery. Well she flipped back vertex by my peri appt at 37weeks & I went into labor 5 days later. I ended up having them naturally since my labor progressed so quickly & there wasn't time for an epidural. That part was scary for me since I knew if something happened I would have to be under general anesthesia if I ended up needing a c-section. It ended up being an awesome birth experience!

I had a great delivery w/my oldest dd, that's why I was so sad about the thought of a section. My ob doesn't normally deliver twins vag unless both are vertex, but they may have worked w/us. I didn't want to be in recovery by myself while my babies & dh were off to the nursery & I didn't want the pain/recovery from major surgery. BUT I did know that the ultimate goal was for healthy mom & healthy babies- so if I needed to have a c-section I would've.

9. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

The last thread about this there were lots of different stats given, one of them being 80% of women attempting a vaginal delivery with twins ends up with an emergency c/sec. That seemed totally crazy to me, so I asked my ob and she said in her experience only 10% of the time that happens. That really put me at ease. Also, I have 2 friends who recently had twins (seriously, it must be in the water here) and both had great vaginal deliveries with no complications. That's really given me hope that I might be able to do the same. It's definitely my first choice, but obviously things don't always go as planned, and I'm ready to go with the flow depending on how these babies end up positioned.

Reyna

10. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

I had a c/s almost two weeks ago because baby A was a pound bigger and breech plus I had pre-e. It was so fast and I did not worry about the cord, emergency section or anything. I am very glad that I did not push my OB for a vag delivery. I had my son 3 years ago and had a long 24 hour labor and can not imagine doing that with the twins and my pre-e. I think it is a personal decsion and you should follow what your instinct/heart says.

11. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

My OB also said that if Baby A was head down I could have a vag- del. He told me if the other baby was turned he would minipulate him so he was facing the right way. Well both babies were head down. When Baby A came out, my OB went to the leftside of me and pushed to align Baby B. I had them both vaginally.

Well Good Luck to you!

12. symercat

Thanks for the info everyone! It helps to hear other people's experiences!!