Morning Wake Time

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Jan 15, 2009.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

My boys are good night sleepers and generally sleep from 6-7 or 7:30. I generally get to bed late and really love to stay in bed till 7:30 if I can... the boys only started sleeping all night at 11 months old, so it's not like I've been sleeping in till 7:30 every day of their lives!!! :)

Lately, the boys have been getting up around 7-ish and sometimes they will talk in their cribs, but usually Jacob will cry/fuss. I think Jack just kind of hangs out quietly. Jacob takes about an hour to "wake up" and stop whining, regardless of when you go get him. Jack is ALWAYS in a good mood in the morning, regardless of when you go get him. Is is terrible to let Jacob fuss/yell/cry for about 30 minutes in the morning so that I can bond with my comfy bed until 7:30?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I do it! I usually let them play or whine or talk to each other while I shower and get ready for work, but on the weekends I let them stay in their room for awhile while I either lay in bed or having a cup of coffee and some TS time.

3. mjcady

mjcady Member

Whatever it takes to keep you sane! If you're consistent, they'll get used to it. My girls didn't sleep through the night until 10 months... I always go in and get them by 7:10 / 7:15, BEFORE they whine or fuss. I've done it for a long time now, and it seems like they know I'll come, so they're pretty content. I'm not a morning person, but 7 seems do-able to me, as long as I get to hit the snooze once.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think it's terrible, but I probably would not do it, just because I wouldn't be able to relax with him fussing anyway. If he were waking up at 4:30, that would be different, but IMO 7:00 is a reasonable time for a young child to want to get up. (One of mine always wakes up around 6:30, though we finally got her not to start hollering for us till 7:00.) Then again, I'm a morning person, so getting up at 7 is fine with me too.

5. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We leave them in their rooms for a bit in the morning too. We let them wake us up (usually 6:30) and then we get up and get ready for work, feed the dog, get sippies ready then we get them at 7. On the weekends we push it until someone gets mad :) I like my sleep and SOOOO miss sleeping in. 7:30 is about the latest we can go though and that's a great day. We are trying to back up the weekday time but don't really want to mess up the later weekends. I need to get to work earlier though.

6. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(elara @ Jan 15 2009, 11:42 AM) [snapback]1148555[/snapback]
    We leave them in their rooms for a bit in the morning too. We let them wake us up (usually 6:30) and then we get up and get ready for work, feed the dog, get sippies ready then we get them at 7. On the weekends we push it until someone gets mad :)

This is pretty much what we do too, and they do get used to it. Mine now "play" in thier cribs until we get them.

7. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

7:30? That's obscene! Okay, maybe I'm the obscene one here. I refuse to get out of bed until at least 8:30. The girls usually wake up around 8:00ish and sing or play with their potato heads. So far we're none the worse for wear.

8. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I do it. They've learned to play and talk to each other. Mostly they jump in their beds and laugh like loons now. And I get to be Awake Coffee Fed Mommy rather than Grouchy Coffee-less Mommy. Works for everyone!

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

First off, I'm jealous. Mine go to bed around 7pm and wake between 5:30 and 6 (though I haven't seen a 6 wake up in a long time). I make them stay in the crib until 6. I don't think there is anything wrong with a few extra mins of wake up time for everyone! Luckily I'm a morning person, but man, some days I could stay in bed forever!

10. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

I really don't even know when mine wake up. When I hear the talking and laughing, I assume they've only been awake for a few minutes and this is usually around 7. I STILL don't go get them right away. I have to admit there have been days that I let them chatter up there for upwards of 30 minutes. I usually "bond with my bed" as you say, go get started on their breakfast, check TS, etc. before entering. OR...at the first sign of frustration, meaning the first "uh" or call for mama (it's never a crying call...more like hey where the he#$ are you, woman!). I like that they use that time to talk to each other in their cribs. Sometimes they play an echoing mimicking game which I think is just adorable. They NEVER do it while I'm there. So weird. So to answer your question, no I don't think it's bad at al as long as he's not all out crying.

11. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

7 am is a great time to get up for children and if you want okays from people so you can lie in bed longer guilt free then you've got loads but you wont get an okay from me! Don't understand it myself - if your baby is yelling or crying why wouldn't you go to them?

12. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I think a baby needs to know a mommy will respond when they need them. The baby may be hungry, has a wet diaper, misses his mommy - I think a baby can learn to wait....but I think you pay a price in bonding, trust & faith. I would have never left my babies in their crib once they were awake - not to mention I can hardly wait to see their sweet faces in the morning. Sorry...I can't agree that this is OK for me.

13. excitedk

QUOTE(AndiG @ Jan 15 2009, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1148811[/snapback]
    7 am is a great time to get up for children and if you want okays from people so you can lie in bed longer guilt free then you've got loads but you wont get an okay from me! Don't understand it myself - if your baby is yelling or crying why wouldn't you go to them?

I don't think anyone is saying laying in bed peacefully sleeping while your child is screaming bloody murder, please, you obviously don't know those who are posting :rolleyes:

14. excitedk

QUOTE(BellaRissa @ Jan 15 2009, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1148924[/snapback]
    I think a baby needs to know a mommy will respond when they need them. The baby may be hungry, has a wet diaper, misses his mommy - I think a baby can learn to wait....but I think you pay a price in bonding, trust & faith. I would have never left my babies in their crib once they were awake - not to mention I can hardly wait to see their sweet faces in the morning. Sorry...I can't agree that this is OK for me.

Oh, I can hardly wait to see mine either, no one said that. And these are not babies, they are toddlers, who know full well that mommy is there for them. My two are about as well adjusted as kids can be, they are adored, loved and treated wonderfully.....just not until 7:30 am :ibiggrin:

15. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(BellaRissa @ Jan 15 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1148924[/snapback]

The bolded statement is ridiculous. What if you were taking a crap? What if you were in the bathroom throwing up because you were sick? Unless your child is screaming bloody murder, chances are they just want your attention. I don't run into my kids the minute they wake up ... I get out of bed, pee, brush my teeth, etc. They are no worse for the ware, and they CERTAINLY aren't less bonded with me. What a ridiculous thing to say to a parent.

16. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BellaRissa @ Jan 15 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1148924[/snapback]

If the OP was talking about infants, it would be one thing. But they're toddlers, she said they're not screaming ... not sure why you're choosing to make this an issue.

And OP, I do the very same thing!

QUOTE(caba @ Jan 15 2009, 06:49 PM) [snapback]1149074[/snapback]
    The bolded statement is ridiculous. What if you were taking a crap? What if you were in the bathroom throwing up because you were sick? Unless your child is screaming bloody murder, chances are they just want your attention. I don't run into my kids the minute they wake up ... I get out of bed, pee, brush my teeth, etc. They are no worse for the ware, and they CERTAINLY aren't less bonded with me. What a ridiculous thing to say to a parent.

I couldn't agree more.

17. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Jan 15 2009, 06:49 PM) [snapback]1149074[/snapback]

Most people, unless they are chronically ill, are not in the bathroom throwing up for 30-60 minutes every morning. Nor are we talking about taking a moment to brush one's teeth or urinate - the question was allowing a child who is clearly distressed (not necessarily screaming bloody murder) to wait while a parent sleeps longer. When a toddler awakes he is usually wet, hungry & wanting his/her mother. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would allow my kids to be unhappy in a crib while I continued sleeping. If, as one poster stated, my toddlers were chattering & happy I might allow them to wait 10-15 minutes since they are socializing with one another. I did not, out of the blue, approach the OP & give her my opinion - she asked if others think her behavior is appropriate. I answered her honestly and gave her my reasons for feeling the way I do. I am not making the decision for anyone else - just giving my response to the question.

18. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

My kids are 4 now, and their wake up time is still theirs. They have always chattered together in the morning, and even though I was always up before them and still am (very early riser here), I loved listening to them talk or babble to each other while I got my coffee and did my morning puttering about the house. These days I listen to them playing together in the am (on weekends because the other days they go to school so have less morning time) and it's not a time I would interrupt. :wub: They have never NOT greeted me without a hug and a kiss each morning, so I think they're turning out pretty OK ;)

I wouldn't worry if I were you. There is no rule that a mother must rush to pacify a toddler the moment she hears him or her wake up. You're doing nothing wrong. :)

19. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Well, Ainsley was (still is a bit) a terrible waker-upper. She would just wake up cranky and it would take her a good hour to snap out of it. It took me forever to realize that rushing to her made it worse. Since being in beds and they can get up and out on their own, things are much better. The girls actually choose to stay in their room for about half an hour before coming out for breakfast.

20. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I never go in to get them right when they wake! I guess on average it would be 20 minutes. If they woke up screaming/crying really hard, I would go right in.

21. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Our "normal" wake time is around 7. If they're only talking or fussing earlier than that, I wait until 7 to get them up. I don't want to reward too-early waking, because they're cranky and unhappy all day if they don't get enough sleep, and given DH's work schedule, there's only so early we can push bedtime to compensate.

If they're really upset, I go in earlier. What mom wouldn't? Bonding, trust, and faith - we all know our own kids better than anyone else does, maybe even better than ourselves, and we know the difference between whining and true distress.

22. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Shoot, I have to go in and wake up my lazy layabed boys, but on the rare occasion that they start babbling before I'm up, I let them go for a bit--I'm an early riser, so if they wake before me, it's usually still kind of "night".

23. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

In terms of wake up--moving to beds was the worst thing for Marcus. When he was in a crib, he would wake and talk, play, and just wake up for 45 min-1 hour. We never got them before 8. Once he moved to a bed, and could get up, he would come whining into my room upon waking. It took me a while to realize the difference was he didn't have the time to hang upon waking to get himself into his good mood.

When I would go into their room at 8, I always had happy, smiley boys. When they were able to get up on their own, we didn't always get the same happy boys, until Marcus has his wake up time--even today! Jon always wakes up well.

My point is, if he isn't distressed, no I don't see a problem with it. I can say, DH would always throw a board book or two into the cribs, so they had those to look at upon waking.

24. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I have done this from the beginning. My girls have phases where they wake up whiiiiiining and totally cranky and I have learned if I go to them, I pay for it dearly. But if I wait until they've had time to really wake up, we have a very happy morning.

You do what's best for you. :hug:

25. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I have always let my kids "hang" in bed for a bit before I go get them. They have learned to play in their cribs (and bed) until it is time to get up. If they are crying hard then I go get them. He will be fine I am sure. :hug:

26. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. I lay in bed and let myself wake up for a little bit, and then when they start to fuss I go get them. Do what you need to do to start your day off right.

27. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I've never rushed right in to get my children in the morning .. UNLESS they were crying .. because this is unusual behaviour for them. But if it were the "norm" then I might have let them work it out for awhile before going in to get them. Now, at 4 yrs old, they wake up and chit chat with each other and I usually end up having to get up because they get a little too loud or they end up in my room wondering what I'm up to. This is when I turn on cartoons and snuggle in bed with my little guys.
    I think your doing just fine and your doing whats right for your family. Thats all we CAN do. :)

28. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Oh, I do the exact same thing! They usually start making noise about 7am and by the time I get my butt outta bed and get their milk with sippies it's 7:30 am and by then they are a little ticked at me. Oh, well....teaches them to be patient!

29. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually let the kids kind of wake themselves up, I don't run it at the first sign of them being awake. The twins now will come in and wake me, but Liam will sit and play with his "guys" in his crib. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

30. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 15 2009, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1149244[/snapback]
    I usually let the kids kind of wake themselves up, I don't run it at the first sign of them being awake. The twins now will come in and wake me, but Liam will sit and play with his "guys" in his crib. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

:rofl: HIS "GUYS"????????? :eek: :rofl: I reading into that in a "he wears underwear" sorta way - but I know that's not the case, but it CRACKED ME UP!

31. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

And really, toddlerhood is the best time to start the lessons of "Mommy doesn't jump when you go Waaa for something small" ;)

Not saying, leave your kids to cry and howl, but I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean.

32. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 15 2009, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1149268[/snapback]
    :rofl: HIS "GUYS"????????? :eek: :rofl: I reading into that in a "he wears underwear" sorta way - but I know that's not the case, but it CRACKED ME UP!

Diane, it didn't even occur to me to read it any other way at first! :rotflmbo:

33. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Anne-J @ Jan 15 2009, 09:01 PM) [snapback]1149274[/snapback]
    And really, toddlerhood is the best time to start the lessons of "Mommy doesn't jump when you go Waaa for something small" ;)

Not saying, leave your kids to cry and howl, but I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean.

ITA!!
    You know, I have built trust with my kids and they know I'm here. But I'm not going to reinforce whining. Nope, no way. I think if you jump up and run at every single whine, you're just setting yourself up for more whining. (And that's one thing that grates on my nerves in older toddlers/young kids. :bad: )

And I agree with others who've said that their kids enjoy and need that wake-up time. Neither me or DH are morning people. Not surprisingly, neither are our kids. They need that time as much as I do.

34. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

QUOTE(excitedk @ Jan 15 2009, 07:18 PM) [snapback]1148968[/snapback]
    I don't think anyone is saying laying in bed peacefully sleeping while your child is screaming bloody murder, please, you obviously don't know those who are posting :rolleyes:

Didn't realise it was so 'clicky' in here - don't need to know someone to post a reply surely - purlease - and where did 'screaming bloody murder' come from - the original post used the words yell/cry - and that is what I responded to.

35. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jan 15 2009, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1149268[/snapback]

Hey!! This is not The Den!!!! :rofl: Liam hasn't named them...yet! ;)

(FWIW, The "guys" are Monkey, Sparky, Teddy Bear and Red Sox Bear...all stuffed animals)