Most off-target pronunciation?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If you had to pick the word that sounds LEAST like the actual word when your kids say it, what would it be?

For example, when Amy says "nyuh! nyuh!" she is saying "milk!" For the longest time I thought she was saying "no," but it finally dawned on me that she was (sort of) making the sign for milk at the same time. [​IMG]

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

These are probably not the most off-target, but they are the ones I can think of over the past year or so. Most are straightened out by now:

-- "fizer" for pacifier
    -- "hockiter" for helicopter (by the way, this is now a verb in our house, meaning, 'to pass gas') [​IMG]
    -- "wameenen" for watermelon
    -- "hockapuss" for octopus
    -- "potato" for tomato and "tomato" for potato [​IMG]
    -- "aminal" for animal (do they all do this? why?) and "cleam up" for clean up

I know these aren't exactly what you were looking for but...

3. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Mama for vitamin. [​IMG]

4. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Mellizos:
    Mama for vitamin. [​IMG]

[​IMG] My girls say "candy" for vitamin -- that's what they think the chewable vitamins are, they love them!

5. Minette

quote:
    "hockiter" for helicopter (by the way, this is now a verb in our house, meaning, 'to pass gas')

I love this -- although to me it sounds more like what the cat does after she eats too fast. [​IMG]

It also reminds me of a word my grandmother (2nd generation German-American) used: "klecker," meaning "to drop something on your shirt while eating."

6. lmBurlingame

lmBurlingame Well-Known Member

Ryan says something like "schlur" for flower. It took me *forever* to figure that one out.

7. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

This isn't really a pronunciation thing, but my girls were always asking if things were "proof for water". I finally figured it out last night when they were in the bathtub. Nicole said look mom, this is "proof for water", meaning her band-aid was waterproof. They were both this phrase all the time, and clearly they knew what the other was talking about. It just took a long time to clue in.

[​IMG]

8. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

My ds started calling milk "nambu" around 18 months...no idea where that came from...the funny thing is that the girls will now refer to it as "nambu" when they talk to him, but they still call it "milk" when they talk to me. [​IMG] for a little while he called water "nambo"... like he was changing the tense on his "nambu" and that turned milk into water.. [​IMG]

Can't be any worse than older dd's pronunciation for "music"...she called it "nu-noon-ga" for the longest time... I don't think she said the right word for music until she was 3.

9. jwozy

jwozy Well-Known Member

My ds says fo foo tree for christmas tree and my dd now says the same as she thinks it's so funny.

10. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

Ally's 4 and her latest things are 'embinence' for ambulance, and we just got a new puppy and she was trying to get Arthur to play 'tig-a-hoe'. I asked her what tig-a-hoe was and she said you know with his rope. She meant tug-of-war, LOL.

11. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

My girls both say "shoose" for juice (meaning they want their sippies...we even refer to milk as juice b/c it's easier for them..so even if there is just water in there, it's juice...heheh).

Anyway, they would get so frustrated with me b/c they wanted theirs "shoose" and I thought they wanted shoes on...lol!! They can actually say "shoes" pretty clearly, so it's weird that juice sounds like shoes!

12. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

Adam uses the word "non-yee" for water. Ben calls it "yow-a", but if he's talking to Adam about water, he uses Adam's word. It's made potty training so entertaining [​IMG].

13. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Sofia uses some kind of combination of banana and yellow, when she wants a banana. It usually begins with a 'b' and some random sounds in the middle and ends with 'ow'. DH thinks it's the cutest thing.

14. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

We have nothing too out of the ordinary but mine say:
    Lellow for yellow
    Ambance for Ambulance
    hospadull for hospital
    rain scrapers for windshield wipers
    aminal for animal
    Fire for pacifer (when they used them)

My all time favorite even though they don't say it anymore was baby soup. Which was Kaitlyn trying to say bathing suit.

And the TH sound is pronouced F most of the time by both of them so we have birFdays etc...

15. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Matthew says "ah-knee" for "thank you". Makes no sense. It's a good thing he uses the sign and the proper intonation when saying it or else I would have had no clue what he was talking about.

Matt says "aish" for "juice" and "dez" for please (good thing he signs that one, too).

Both boys say "bop, bop, bop, bop" for "grandma and grandpa". They baby sit once a week so when I tell them grandma and grandpa are coming, they start to ask for "bop, bop, bop, bop" all morning.

16. rens

rens Well-Known Member

For quite a while at this house it was UBAGUG for granola bar. No clue where it came from as it does not sound like it at all.

-Kristi

17. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

Rachel says "schlupk" for Truck
    Alexis says "Avalanche" for Ambulance, and as reported earlier, "gigolo" for jello gigglers.

18. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Mine have:

"it is not a dog" for cat
    "ba" for cup(not this is different from ball and baa as in the sheep noise)

19. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Minette:
    quote:
    "hockiter" for helicopter (by the way, this is now a verb in our house, meaning, 'to pass gas')

I love this -- although to me it sounds more like what the cat does after she eats too fast. [​IMG]

It also reminds me of a word my grandmother (2nd generation German-American) used: "klecker," meaning "to drop something on your shirt while eating." I am loving reading these! My boys used to say "hopicoptor" for helicopter. [​IMG]

Another favorite of mine was "melonade" for lemonade. So cute. Oh, and "kitchen noodle soup" for chicken noodle soup.

20. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

quote:
    Another favorite of mine was "melonade" for lemonade.

Mine say this too...

Kaitlyn also calls Granola bars 'Gorilla' bars.

21. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

"bikeysue" is tricycle! [​IMG]

22. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

So far the must "huh?" one is Saah = Flower (Bea). If it wasn't for signing, I wouldn't know what the heck they were saying.

23. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

All I can say is I need to watch thier signing times vidoes with them more often as sometimes I don't recognize the sign they are doing and have no clue what they are saying. The best ones were:

rentarot - restaurant (at 7am this was hard to figure out!)
    nownation - imagination

the ones that sound the most obscene are:
    pussy - percy the train
    sh*t - bed sheet

too cute!

24. debid

debid Well-Known Member

OK, mine have a big vocabulary for their age but their annunciation is rough. These are a few of my favorites:

nurse = mimi
    pocket = paw-um
    belly button = bah-uh-um
    airplane = buh-pee
    bird = buddy
    moon = newwwwwwm

25. UD Flyer

UD Flyer Well-Known Member

Abby:
    sharin = raisin
    nick-nick = music

Kate:
    tic to go = thank you

Both girls call any type of medicine (flouride, benadryl, tylenol, etc.) that they get from a dropper Yum-Yum!

I can usually figure out what they are talking about, but sometimes I really have to think about it.

26. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

My favorites:

Elephant = El-pee-dee
    Snowman = nu-me-nu-me-num
    Spaghettios = pee-ya-pee-ya-pee-yah

And the all time fave:
    Fish = sh*t. I ask them, do you want some goldfish crackers:
    gol-sh*t, gol-sh*t! We went to the zoo recently, went in the aquarium, and there were delighted cries of Sh*t, Sh*t! from my adorable children. We're not encouraging it, but it does make us laugh.

27. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by twinzmom2b:
    My girls both say "shoose" for juice (meaning they want their sippies...we even refer to milk as juice b/c it's easier for them..so even if there is just water in there, it's juice...heheh).

Anyway, they would get so frustrated with me b/c they wanted theirs "shoose" and I thought they wanted shoes on...lol!! They can actually say "shoes" pretty clearly, so it's weird that juice sounds like shoes!

Becky, I could have written the same exact posting. My kids love their "shoose" and that means anything liquid. We also thought they were asking for their shoes until Aidan handed me his cup and said "shoosh peese" (juice please)

28. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

For a long time Elliot called elephants "elliot". Of course it made everyone laugh.

Not a mispronounciation, but they got to know and love Elmo first, then when Clarissa was introduced to Cookie Monster, she started to call him "Elmo Cookie" (and still does).

Clarissa also calls her blankies "bee bee". It seems to be both a generic term for any blanket, and also a name for her favorite blankie. (If she asks for "bee bee", she means the striped one, otherwise she'll ask for "pink bee bee" or "blue bee bee")

-Rachel

29. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

My favorite is that Liam knows his whole alphabet but instaed of "W" he says "ba-dyah" Joss says "double" and he will only sign the letter 'P'....

30. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

"peapot" = pizza

31. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Josh says BUTHOLE for apple [​IMG]

32. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

Mine have a funny blended word "mork", it's "more milk" & they always sign please with it!!

33. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

flamingo = fofingo
    shirt = sh*t
    blue shirt = (you guessed it) bull sh*t
    stick= dick
    big stick = (you guessed it again) big dick

My DH thinks it is super funny

34. Minette

We have a new one -- Amy now says "abba" for avocado -- pronounced like the Swedish musical sensations from the 70s. :D It's not that off-target actually, but I think it's funny.

I'm also noticing that sometimes their pronunciation actually deteriorates after they learn a word -- it's like they get lazy. Sarah used to say "please" as "peess" -- now she says "bee! bee!"

35. Guest

Guest Guest

Katy says "gluk" for "blanket" .... and "koo koo" for "carry me".