Mother of the Year award right here!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by megkc03, Jan 25, 2013.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Two weeks before Christmas, Nicholas was sick. Cold, cough. No fever of anything. Then Anthony got it. Then Annabella on 12/23. Nicholas recovered. Annabella and Anthony have been coughing since. I brought her last week, and doc said it was uncomplicated sinus infection and my choice for antibiotic. I declined and we are at week 5 of coughing.

Anthony. He's been coughing the whole time. But-no fevers, eating fine, drinking fine, playing, sleeping with no problems. Yesterday he started up all of a sudden with a runny nose and watery eyes. The cough sounded more "wet." I'm done with the illness crap so I was able to bring him in this morning.

Doc said five weeks was a long time for a cough, did orders for lung/sinus xray. Fast forward and they found a spot on his lung and on his sinus. I missed the darn call so I will call in the morning. He's now on antibiotic for next two weeks. My guess is pneumonia.

Of course I feel awful. Why didn't I bring him in sooner??? Ugh. But then again, I get the same thing, "does he have a fever? Eating sleeping playing fine?" Yada yada.

So that's my sob story. He certainly doesn't-and hasn't-acted sick at all. I mean really. Not even lethargic. I hope to get more answers tomorrow and hopefully the meds will have him on his way to good health!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Aw, poor Ant! You know I sympathize, Meaghan, I am ALWAYS late to taking my kids in. I use the same criteria you mentioned- fever, eating, sleeping, energy. I guess we just have some kids who fight through more than they should?

Keep us posted. I hope he's on the mend quickly!!

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just hate calling to be told, "there's nothing we/you can do-wait it out." Ugh. Now? I'll hound them! ;)

My kids I guess are just troopers! Tomorrow is a pajama/movie day for them!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow-he had walking, eating, behaving normally pneumonia. Meag, you didn't know and made the best decision given the info you had. :hug:

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree; not much you could have done differently. Doctors see so many viral things they're quick to dismiss symptoms. I hope the little dude is feeling better soon!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meaghan you did the same thing most parents would do, I use the same criteria. Last time I rushed a kid to my dr was Kaelyn, she was abut 3.5-4 yrs old, had been puking every 20-45 mins for 24 hrs straight and was unable to keep fluids down. By morning she was sleeping limply on the couch and hardly waking to puke. Full on FREAK OUT mode for this mama. But everything was fine, it was just a virus, and we got some anti nausea meds and she started to feel better really quick.

I will say though this spring I just could not shake my cough, 3 times I was diagnosed with bronchitis, but the third time they did chest xray's and the dr "saw a spot". Immediately he said pneumonia. Once the actual radiologist looked at the xray he said it was not pneumonia after all, just a "spot" on the xray.

So if it's just the dr....I would wait and find out what the actual radiologist says. The dr's don't have as much training in reading an xray. It could just be a horrible sinus infection, and the abx should knock that out fast :hug:

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I have done the same thing. After so many times of being told there was nothing that could be done, I am a lot more hesitant to bring my kids to the pedi.

One weekend Amelia was having very high fevers (like 103), but I figured "virus"...after 5 days when it hadn't gone away I brought her in and it was strep. I felt terrible! But oh well, how was I supposed to know? Same thing for Cooper's 1 year check up they found an ear infection. It's a guessing game!

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone - hindsight is 20/20. I too have gotten told basically that I took my kid in for no reason and here are our guidelines to when you should bring them in (would be nice if the nurse had just told me to wait it out but whatever). Based on the guidelines they gave me, I doubt I would have taken Vivi in any sooner than you took Anthony in. I hope he feels better soon!

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I always wait at least 10-14 days when it is a cough and runny nose, they alway tell me not to bring them in before that. You did nothing wrong! Hope he feels better soon!

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Don't beat yourself up Meaghan. I would have done the same as you...if the kids had no fevers, were playing fine and eating normal...I would have not brought them to the doctor either.
    I hope Anthony is feeling better :hug:

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Ya know, I have one twin that gets every germ out there, is always sick and I never take him in as long as he's acting fine.

The other one, healthy as a horse. He got a cold once and I rushed him to the pediatrician who looked at me like I was nuts. "But he NEVER gets sick!" I said.

I don't take mine in if they are acting fine so don't beat yourself up. None of us are up for Mother of the Year either! :laughing:

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up. The same thing happened to us last year when Meara had pneumonia :(. Who knew? And two weeks ago I waited to bring Ana to the doctor when she had a high fever.. Then she broke out in a rash... Strep with scarlet fever. How was I supposed to know that when she never complained of a sore throat!? It's tough. Hope he feels better soon.