Motrin or Tylenol

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by swilhite25, Sep 22, 2009.

1. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

I've heard conflicting reports - no motrin until one year of age and that motrin is fine after six months of age. Even my doctor said motrin was fine after six months, but she's one of many peds they see at their office. I'm more conservative when it comes to trying any kind of medicine on babies and I've always felt like tylenol was safer. Here's what's going on: my DS is teething (cutting his 4th tooth, his second front tooth) and I think it's waking him up at night. I've also heard that at nine months babies go through a "night waking" stage for no good reason. I do think it's his teeth though that are bothering him because, well, he's actually cutting teeth and always chomping on something.

Did anyone use motrin before one year of age? I know the guidelines for these things change all the time, but I would like to give the little guy some relief and rest. He's normally such an awesome sleeper. Thanks for the advice in advance!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can start using Motrin after 6 months, I found it really gave our kiddos great teething relief. The good thing about Motrin is that it lasts 8 hours, so it is good to get him through the night.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, we used Motrin before the age of one year for teething or high fevers after 6 months.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Motrin after 6 months here too. For a high fever, it can't be beat!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Motrin after 6 months here too, works WAY better on fevers and teething than tylenol ever did and lasts longer too!

6. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

Motrin can be used at 6 months but here at 8months we have still only used Tylenol and honestly it only been given a handful of times.

7. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

News to me! I didn't know we could be giving Motrin yet. We've only given Tylenol.

Another reason I love this site! :thanks:

8. EmilyorMLE

EmilyorMLE Well-Known Member

Motrin is the BEST for teething! ...or it is for my boys, lol. They woke up each night when given Tylenol instead.

9. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this, We give motrin to newborns here. I work in the hospital and everything is weight dosed. I have given all of my boys motrin and tylenol since they were born if they needed it. Can anyone tell me why they recommend waiting till 6 months? I am just curious.

10. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

We have found that Motrin is WAY better for reducing fevers faster but we actually don't use either Motrin or Tylenol for teething. All of our girls have been fine with the baby Orajel (sp?). For example, both of my girls are about to cut their first teeth and tonight they were fussy from it and I put the Orajel on both the top and bottom gums and they were both asleep within a 1/2 hour (gave around bedtime). I just don't like the idea of giving so much "medicine" and the Orajel has worked awesome for all three of my girls but that is totally my opinion. They warned me in the hospital about taking too much Ibuprofen and how it can be harmful to the liver so I always have wondered how it affects a baby 1/10 my size... However, that is just my opinion as my sister swore by Motrin for teething.

11. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I was doing some research and came across this.
    Although the package might not give a dosage for under two years, it can be safely used down to two months of age (it used to only be approved down to 6 months, but in 2001, it was proven to be safe and effective down to two months of age).

From Dr. Sears Website.

12. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We started Motrin at 6 months and have been big fans. The main ingredient in Tylenol has been shown to cause liver problems if used for extended periods of time or in too high of doses (for adults). I was taking Tylenol PM and my doctor told me about the liver damage chances. I switched to Advil PM. Kind of off topic sorry! :give_rose:

13. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Just wanted a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. opinion. :) I really try to limit the amount of medicine they get so it doesn't put too much stress on their liver and so that the medicine actually works when they do really need it. (My mom is a nurse and has beat this stuff into my brain) I'm the same way when medicating myself - I don't take anything unless it is an absolute must. We've tried the orajel and the hylands teething tablets but without much luck; a temporary fix at best. Looks like we'll be giving this a try and see if it helps my little buddy. Thanks again!!

14. becky5

becky5 Guest

I started it at 6 months. It works so much better than Tylenol for teething pain.