MOTY

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, May 18, 2014.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This morning we were all in the backyard, girls are climbing in the tree like they always do, sydney falls and comes running saying her wrist hurts.  I look at, and tell her it looks fine. I have her move her hand, around, no problem.  She is not crying just saying it hurts.  She goes to lie down of the couch, i give her ice for her wrist.  DH and I go to costco leaving FIL and his wife with the girls.  We came home, work in the yard.  We all went out for dinner.  Sydney was quiet but acting fine.  After dinner, FIL wanted a shake, Sydney did not want one.  That is not like her at all.
    We came home, girls took baths and showers.  I was on the phone, in fact Sydney got on the phone to tell my mom that she fell out of the tree and hurt her wrist.  Then she went downstairs and comes back upstairs saying that DH is going to take her to urgent care which one should they go to it?  

I really thought it was nothing, but told DH which urgent care to go to.  He asked if I wanted to come since FIL was still here and could stay with Dani.  I figured it was nothing, so said no, he should take her.

Guess what her arm is broken, and they think they saw a healed break on the x-ray.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Oh wow!! I'm sorry.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Lisa, I am sorry.  There is no way you could have known.  I hope she has a speedy recovery.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, it happens.  I did the same thing with Marcus,but when I took him to the ER, they even said it was just strained and to take it easy.  A few days later, it was still bothering him, and we went to the Orthopedist.  He pulled the ER xray up on his iPad, and showed me the 2 breaks that they didn't see!  Hopefully she is feeling better this weekend :)

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oh no! I'm sorry, Lisa!

6. ljcrochet

I made the mistake of mentioning to her that she might have to sit out certain things an field day next week, and she realized she might have an issue at Dorney on Sunday.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh wow. I'm sorry. You couldn't have known though! Look at the bright side, at least she wasn't in too much pain!

8. sharongl

Lisa, does she have a cast or a splint?

9. ljcrochet

Urgent care splinted it. Taking her to orthopedic tomorrow morning. We shall see what they do.
    I have no experience with broken bones.

10. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

Just to make you feel better...my son fell off of the monkey bars. He came home and said his arm was hurting. We had him move his arm and it seemed fine. He kept complaining so we took him to the ER. Since it was a school night and the wait was long, I had him do his homework (with his right arm).  Sent him back for an x-ray, guess what? His right arm was broken.... 

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My parents did that with me.  :)  It happens. 

12. ljcrochet

I totally forgot to say, I made her go to school today.  I get a call from the school nurse to either come pick her up or give her advil.  Sydney was complaining it hurt and I forgot to give her pain meds this morning.

She was acting fine when I left for work, and I totally forgot to tell MIL to give it her even if she felt better.   Sydney walks in to the nurses office saying, can I change the dr appoint tomorrow till 10:30 since they have the 3rd grade amazing race tomorrow.  The nurse tells her, she won't be able to participate it in.  
    I also found out that she has to sit inside during recess, and probably field day.

13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

That sucks about field day!  If it's an all day thing like here, maybe you (or someone else?) could spend the day with her?  Try and lift her spirits a little?

I'm the one that told my husband he was fine when his appendix was ready to burst so I feel your pain!  It could happen to any of us.

14. sharongl

Why does she have to sit inside?  Why can't she be a helper and help the teacher at a game or something.  It sounds like punishing her for a broken arm...

15. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My sister took her son 3 times to have his arm xrayed, each time they sent him home saying it was fine.  It wasn't until she took him to an orthopedist that they saw a small hairline fracture.  They said it's commonly missed because it's so fine.  She kept telling him it was fine and to grow  up.  She felt like a total heel.  He had his wrist splinted for the entire summer until it healed.

16. ljcrochet

Took her to the orthopedist today, she has a blue cast.  Will have it for 4-6 weeks depending on how it heals.  It is not a waterproof cast.  So hopefully it will be off in 4 weeks not 6.  
    Orthopedist that we went to is the guy we bought our house from, so when Sydney said she fell out of the tree in the backyard, he asked which one since when he owned the house there were only 2 trees in the back yard.  We added a 3rd tree and then lost a tree in hurricane sandy.