Moved up to Preschool room at daycare

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Tamaralynn, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys are 25 months and were moved into the Preschool room this morning. I thought the transition was done around 30 months. I find it way too soon to move them.

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I'd talk to the teachers and directors. Is there a 2 year old preschool? I agree they are a little young but maybe the teachers think they are ready?

3. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know where Connie works (and I used to) the aim is to move about 27-32 months. Connie teaches toddlers and she has 3-4 30/31 month olds ready to move up, just waiting for space.

They should have mentioned they were next to move up to you. Were there older kids in the tod room?

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

It totally depends on the school. What's the usual age of preschoolers at your daycare? Does a whole class move up at once, or do they move just a few kids at a time as space permits?

It also might depend on where you kids fall with regard to the kindergarten cutoff. Are they going to be on the young end or the older end of the range?

I don't know if this applies, but here's how our daycare (which was very big -- about 100 kids) did it:

Infants and toddlers are grouped by age, regardless of what time of year they were born -- but once they start preschool, they try to keep all the kids together who will be going to kindergarten at the same time. My kids had always been among the youngest in the infant/toddler rooms, but wound up the oldest in the preschool room because a bunch of younger kids came up from a different toddler room to join them, since they were all going to kinder at the same time.

Our daycare has 3 years of preschool. So kids (like mine) who will be nearly 6 when they start kinder are usually around 3 when they start preschool -- but kids who will turn 5 just before kinder starts might be 2 when they start preschool.

But, I would talk to the teachers and (if necessary) the daycare director.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here, preschool is considered 2 yrs 9 mths, so 33 mths. I'd agree it's too soon as well. But what do they consider preschool? Are they sitting for storytime? Teacher directed activities, etc...

Or is it an older toddler room?

6. Tamaralynn

I am an ECE and it took me by surprise that they were moved. I know Nathaniel is going to have a hard time, his "favourite" teacher is in the toddler room. They are the only 2 that were moved, however 3 were moved into the toddler room from the baby room, so it may have been a space/ratio issue. They will start Junior Kindergarten young, they start in 2013 and well be almost 4 and most of the kids they go to daycare with will be going to the same school as them. We haven't ever really attempted potty training yet and I know this move up will push it to happen, I was going to wait until Easter break as we have 4 days home and I didn't plan on going anywhere.

Kendra they were the oldest in the room, all the others are 6mnth-1yr younger, maybe that is why they were moved.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Does your daycare care if they are PT'd? Ours was very no-pressure -- there were some kids who weren't trained until they were 4 (though most were around 2.5-3) and they were fine with it as long as the teachers weren't changing wet clothes every day (they were willing to change them once in a while). I wouldn't stress about that until you know for sure.

8. Tamaralynn

They don't care. I am sticking to my plan of potty training over the Easter break.

9. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I was thinking it may be that they had more smaller ones and your guys were the biggest. I know how rough my 2 year olds play and even at just 2 in play groups they played better with the 3 year olds than the 1 year olds. I would think that as long as the teacher doesn't have unrealistic expectations for them it might be good for them.