Moving and starting preschool

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jultaria, Aug 8, 2010.

1. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

The boys are starting PreK this year, they'll be attending 5 days for half a dayf. They will be 5 Nov 30th, I didn't send them until now because of late potty training problems. If we move to a new place right after school starts, does anyone think it's too much change at once? I voiced this concern to my husband and he's thinking maybe it is too much change at once. When we moved before it took them a few weeks to adjust to the new place.

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We are doing it.

We moved last week and the girls will start PreK in late Aug. (they have Oct Bdays)

They did PreK last year, but have to do it again due to cut-off K dates in our new state. But that said, I think PreK will help stabilize a new 'routine' for them and provide some much needed playmates!

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think they would be okay. It might take a bit of extra time to adjust but, in the end, I think it would be just fine.

4. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

We will be travelling -- visiting family for 4 months at various homes, my dh and I will be apart for 3 months, then we will look for a new home and during that time they will have daycare at one location with my family and then eventually a new daycare were we buy a house... like you I'm worried about all the changes but sometimes they adapt better than we do. My kids have always seemed to enjoy new toys and new activities so I'm hoping that will work in their favour. If they are in daycare it will help to make a routine in their lives since daycare is so routine. Plus it is only half a day. My youngest today will be there from 7:30 - 4:30 or 5 pm and she has adjusted really well. She comes home tired, dirty, hungry, but so happy. today she was the happiest little thing going into school and so were her twin sisters (2.5 yrs old).
    Having time to set up the house and their rooms will help to keep things normal for them.

good luck !

Heather

5. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Kids are pretty resilient. It may be a tough change, but if you go about your days like nothing big is going on, they will adjust. Keep any routines you have the same, bedtime routines, morning, playtime....all should remain the same with no difference. They'll figure it out that even though they are going to school and home environment is not the same, their routines are no different.

Some kids adjust quicker than others. Some have a harder time. But, if this is something you need to do, they'll be fine and will get through it....even if it takes a little longer. It's usually recommended that you don't do too much change when something large is happening to them. If this is the best time for you to move, then don't make them going to school stop you, but if you don't need to, then maybe wait a month for them to settle in their new school schedules.

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I would just talk about it ahead of time so they are prepped and know what to expect.

7. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

You got some great responses and I totally agree. I noticed a lot of times that the kids really feed off of your emotions. So the cooler and calmer you act (notice I didn't say feel :laughing: ) hopefully the cooler and calmer they will be.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!