Mucinex at age 2.5?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Feb 14, 2010.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone knows whether there's a form of Mucinex that's okay to give to 2.5 year olds. My boys have a nasty lingering cough, and I think Mucinex would be great to break it up. They can't have Benadryl because one of them gets psycho-hyper on it and won't sleep for about 24 hours. :gah: Thanks for any input anyone has... I know if anyone else knows, it would be my fellow parents of 2-4 year olds!! :)

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

The active ingredient is Guaifenesin which should be fine for them to take. If it's the 100mg/5mL, the dose for 2 to 6 yr olds is 1/2 to 1 tsp (or 2.5 to 5 mL) and the dose for 6mos to 2yrs is 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1.25 to 2.5 mL). So their size would determine how much they need. If they are small 2.5 yr olds, I'd do 2.5 mL, if they are big, do a little more. hth!

3. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Erin- when the boys had RSV in December the ped gave me Robitussin DM (expectorant included) for them to take at night while they slept, and it made SUCH a difference! And now that the boys have been in MDO for a month, they've had a constant cold for over 3 weeks now. I did go out and get just the plain mucinex syrup (no cough suppressant like the robitussin has) and I've given it to one of them so he can move all that thick phlegm easier. Of course I saw a different ped on Monday who said "no" to all cold meds, but I figure since the other ped ok'ed the combo syrup a month or so ago, I wasn't going to feel bad giving them the plain mucinex to help them rid their little heads and chests of thick gunk! And yes, I gave them 1/2 tsp, which is what the ped prescribed of the Robi, it has the exact same concentration of guaifenesin that the children's mucinex is. I don't know about you- but I'm just hoping that once our kids hit 4, they don't change their minds again about meds! It seems the year they were born they changed it to "no cold meds under two" then once ours hit two, they changed it to "under 4!" :gah:

4. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

Last time mine were sick with a bad cold I gave them mucinex for kids and I think it helped SO MUCH. I followed the dosing by weight.

I hope you all get to feeling better soon!

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Something I forgot to add: make sure they are drinking alot of fluids to loosen the secretions so the meds can help bring them up. Hope everybody is feeling better soon!

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We use Delsym and that seems to help out.

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Our ped. recommend Mucinex when they were 6 months old and had a bad cold at the time. I have used it on and off since then....the powder form...I think it is called Mucinex mini-melts. I don't give it every 4 hours, more like every 8 hours. We also use Dimetapp when needed. Our ped. said it was OK to give them a tsp of it.

Hope the boys feel better soon! We have had the crud, too. :(

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Our pedi has also recommended Mucinex. :good:

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone - I really appreciate it! I gave them some Mucinex this morning, and it does seem to help a bit. :)