Music during nap/night

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stephanie M, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Hello,

We are trying to transition from using the humidifier (white noise) to music during sleeping times. For those who play a CD. Do you have it repeat all night or during the entire nap or do you just let it play through once and then stop? Any advice is welcome!

2. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Stephanie M @ Jul 22 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]340664[/snapback]
    Hello,

We are trying to transition from using the humidifier (white noise) to music during sleeping times. For those who play a CD. Do you have it repeat all night or during the entire nap or do you just let it play through once and then stop? Any advice is welcome!

My girls LOVE Celine Dion's "Miracle" CD that came with her coffee table book collaboration with Anne Geddes - it is a beautiful collection of songs & lullabies. It is pretty long so they are full asleep when it finishes at night - sometimes I turn it back on if it is thundering or I am going to do a little late night vacuuming. At naptime, I put them in their beds & sit on the side of my bed, singing along to the CD. After they go to sleep, I restart the CD - they seem to sleep longe if the CD is still playing. Good luck!

3. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

We bought a 5 disk CD changer when the boys were born. It was on clearance at Target. It also has a repeat option when you turn it on so it plays till we shut it off. This player has been playing for 4.5 years at all naps & all nights. The music is Classical & Baby Einsteins.

4. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

We only play it once. The girls will fall asleep sometime during the cd. If they wake up crying in the middle of the night then we will often put it on again to try and help them fall asleep and so that they know it is still night time. We have played (from the time they were born) a compilation of songs from the 3 LOTR movies. We took out any songs that are creepy or scary sounding. We also started recently playing Enigma and I plan on buying one of Enya's cds. For naps, I will usually play Beethoven (sp?). I would like to get some other classical music cds for them as well.

5. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

We play a lullaby cd that a friend gave us - it is instrumental and it was from Hallmark. We play it once, and at night only. Like a PP said, I will play it again some nights if one or both are up and fussing in the night. We've been doing this since they were very small babies, and it seems to be a soothing part of their nighttime routine.

That said, I would also look into a white noise machine if they don't seem to respond well to switching to music. You can find them pretty cheap as part of an alarm clock now, too.

6. jennjenn770

jennjenn770 Well-Known Member

We play Baby Einsteins Lullaby CD for nap time. I usually just play it once. If they are having trouble falling asleep or wake up into their nap, I will play it again. I also bring the CD with us when we travel or are going to be in the car during a nap. That way they know it is time to nap when they hear the music. I don't play music for bedtime. I think my reasoning for that stems from the beginning when I wanted them to be able to distinguish day time sleep from night time sleep.

Jennifer

7. coconutdancing

coconutdancing Well-Known Member

We play mellow music, we have about 10 diffrent mix cd's. Have played them since they were born. I play them on repet till we go to bed, so we don't have to worry about any noise we make or what may come from outside. Then I turn it off of repete when I go in to check they are in their own beds and not too cold or hot, right before I turn in. Has/is works very well for us.

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I avoided playing CDs to get my kids to sleep just because I didn't want to have to drag CDs with me when we travel or when they stay overnight with the grandparents or something. Has that ever been a problem for any of you? Maybe my concerns were unfounded.

Anyway, all my boys had little wind-up music toys in their rooms and fell asleep to those. They were easily transported when we traveled, took no electricity, and shut off on their own after a brief period. They've outgrown them now, but it worked well at the time.

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We just start it up when we put them down, we don't play it all night or all nap time.

10. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

The radio in their room does not repeat the cd so what I have been doing for about a year now is put the classic rock radio station on low all night so they get to listen to a little pink floyd, rolling stones, led zeppelin that sort of thing and they sleep great.

11. Amanda+2

Amanda+2 Well-Known Member

I just hit play when I leave the room and let the CD play through once. If they wake up in the middle of the night and are having a hard time settling back down I play it again. They can fall asleep without it (dh always forgets to turn it on when he does the bedtime routine and they sleep in the car and at grandma's without it), I just like to create a little white noise so that if I have to vacuum or load the dishwasher or whatever it's not so noisy.

12. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

We have the ocean's wonder aquarium still. They've had it since they were born. However, Michael still uses it during nap and nightime if he wakes up. It plays music. However, now that it's older it eats batteries (6 D batteries). A wind up music maker sounds much better.

I think something they can control would be the best option.

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Wonders-Musica...t/dp/B0007WWZKY

13. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

We've almost always played cd's for nap and night time. I put it on repeat for the entire nap, but just play it once for night. They listen to lullaby, classical, ocean waves... anything soft and soothing. Somtimes we don't play anything and sometimes they don't go to sleep before the cd is over.

They are in their own rooms now and we have a little stereo that we keep out in the hall. We detached the two speakers and put one in each room so we only have to play one cd and one stereo at a time. :)

14. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jxnsmama @ Jul 23 2007, 07:01 AM) [snapback]341106[/snapback]
    I avoided playing CDs to get my kids to sleep just because I didn't want to have to drag CDs with me when we travel or when they stay overnight with the grandparents or something. Has that ever been a problem for any of you? Maybe my concerns were unfounded.

Actually, we never had that problem. They often fall asleep without music. I rarely even put it on for naps anymore. Just once in a while I will play it to change things up a bit. We did take the cd with us once on a trip but never ended up using it. They fall asleep with or without it. So one would probably say, what's the point then?? I just like the fact that they can fall asleep with music, tv, or just noise in general. We used to tiptoe around our babies during their sleep time when they were much younger and that was not good so I like the fact that they can adapt to music, no music, tv, no tv, talking or whatever, kwim?

15. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We don't play CD's, but they do have musical mobiles. My DS's mobile is too high for him to reach so we press the music button once for him and that's it. My DD's mobile is different and she is able to press the music button so she will push it again herself if she wants more music.