Music-what do your kids listen to?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mnellson, Oct 30, 2010.

1. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

My girls are almost seven years old and in first grade. For a while now they have lost interest in most "kid music" and LOVE songs that are not really appropriate for thier age (Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift are examples). Not that they are BAD but they talk a lot about boyfriends, breaking up, kissing...things that they are just too young for still. I don't think that that much attention to the lyrics (but they love the image...teenage girl, pretty clotehs, make up). Anyway, I'm finding it hard to find music that is decent for themto listen to without cramping their style! lol
    Amd don't even get me statred at music they paly on the raido that they have to bleep out the swears! haha

On a side not, I'm laughing at myself as I type this post! I'm really not a prude and I have never once in my life been offended by any kind of music, and I like most music except country. I think it's fuuny that this is coming up for me!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Sound of Music, Annie get your gun... anything that grandma plays for them.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Both girls really like shinedown. I try not to play anything trashy when they are in the car or change the station when it comes on. I rock pretty hard myself. Jazz loves owl city and everything I've heard from him is clean. Please no kidsbop that's just disgusting! They are just kids singing off key to things they don't need to sing about. Jessy prefers a girl singer like kt tunstall. It's easier when you can pick and choose from cd which ones you actually want them to hear.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine are almost 5 and they love Simon and Garfunkel (their 2 favorite songs are Cecelia and Mrs. Robinson - talk about inappropriate LOL) they like Dave Matthews Band and Sirius Hits 1...

5. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine like to listen to the top 40's .. especially dance music. They both think they're "breakdancers" and like the beat. Once in awhile in the car I put on the 70's -80's station and there have been a few songs they liked a lot that I had to download them so they could hear them again.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My girls are also in first grade. They love folk-fushion music. Especially the singer Lila Downs.

edited to fix link

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Top 40 usually. That's what I listen to. The radio usually has the clean versions of the songs.

8. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

We don't listen to kid music here. They pretty much have always listened to whatever we listen too which is oldies, country, soft rock, and some music we got from tv shows and movies (theme songs and other songs). If a song comes on the radio that I think is inappropriate then I just change the station.

9. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

My kids love hip hop! The radio plays clean versions and they just love Lady gaga.

10. Mia D

Mia D Well-Known Member

My girls love Jackson Five and Abba.

Best,
    Mia

11. Username

Username Well-Known Member

When do your kids listen to music?

Curious because my kids will ask to hear a specific song they've heard somewhere else. They usually listen a few times while reading the lyrics and then move on.

The only music that has been consistent is music together music (even for my 10 year old still, sound tracks from musicals (annie, rent, sound of music, etc) and old Sesame treet, muppets, fraggle rock stuff.

12. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We listen to Christian music here. My kids (and I) really like Toby Mac. I play his "Tonight" cd in the car with them all the time. :) Then we all go around the house singing the same songs. :silly:

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We listen in the car and at bedtime. We listened to train and the script tonight.

14. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Same for us.

They mainly hear music in the car, but sometimes I turn on the radio or play the iPod in the house.

15. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

My kids listen to EVERYTHING. We ALWAYS have the radio on. Most of the time it is on the station that UMass Boston has (wumb, folk radio/DH's fav).

I listen to a station whose slogan is We Play Everything and they do. Unfortunately, they can play the same songs over and over if you listen to them long enough.

They love the Beatles, James Taylor, Faith Hill, etc.

Recently they discovered Justin Bieber. :faint:

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine hate the radio because of the commercials (they take after their mom). They tolerate Pandora when DH sets it to a station that isn't too "loud" (their word, and mine, for anything remotely non-melodic or guitar-heavy) -- we can usually all agree on James Taylor and the like. But they only music they really know and like is kid music and musical soundtracks (mostly Peter Pan and Annie). That's what we listen to in the car. I'm not sure how they'll ever find out about current popular music until they're old enough to have a radio in their room and operate it themselves. :ibiggrin:

17. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

Anything from Lego Rockband+ Queen, Beatles, Kenny Loggins