mustard-yellow spit up?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Nov 19, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

for the past two days, my LO has had some yellowy spit up; only at night. it's not a lot but when we wipe it and look at the cloth, it's yellow in color.
    think its anything to be worried about? ive given him milk-based formula the past two days so thats why i ask. for solids he had sweet potatoes but has never spit up from them before and when he has, it's been orange.

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

It is suspicious that it coincides with a change in formula. I might call the Ped or the nurse tomorrow and see if they have any ideas for you.

3. newtothis

the LO has reflux and this has never happened before. we are trying to change from soy to milk-based formula and kind of just did it on our own!
    (well with the help of the twinstuff mommies, lol)

4. DATJMom

Well, reflux and a milk protein allergy can go hand in hand. I might do a switch to a hypoallergenic formula and see if that helps your cause.

5. newtothis

he only spit up once last night and once tonight.
    could this indicate a milk protein allergy? are there any other signs? how do they tell if it's an allergy or not. he's been on soy and BM since day 1. now i feel horrible!! we have been trying nestle good start formula.

6. DATJMom

Well, are you doing a gradual switch over or did you go cold turkey to the new formula. It can take up to 2 weeks for a formula change to be effective. So switching and switching will just make you and them crazy. I would probably stick with it if its just once a night and they have reflux and watch it. If it continues maybe through the weekend, then I might call the Ped.

As for the milk allergy, it can be diagnosed by blood in the stool. We had no idea, I have never seen any, but it can be microscopic. So when we went to the Ped GI for the reflux, they tested his stool and sure enough it was positive. So we switched from the Neosure to Alimentum for over a year and avoided soy as well since most babies who have a milk allergy are also allergic to soy.

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How long after eating the sweet potatoes did he spit up? If he had the sweet potatoes, then a little while later had a bottle, then spit up, it would not likely be orange but yellowish since it would be mixed with formula. Overall, I don't think yellowish spitup should indicate any kind of major problem, but if you are worried I would certainly talk to your doctor.

8. newtothis

they boys have been on soy and BM since they came home from the hospital. we feed them sweet potatoes every night. when he spit up, it was about 3 hours later and after his bath both times. they yellow spit up never happened before. we switched cold turkey from soy to milk-based formula.

9. DATJMom

Well, I think you answered your own question since it appears to only be happening since the switch. I would see if it happens today or it they are just getting used to the formula and go from there.

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would think it could be the sweet potatoes. In my experience they can cause yellowish, orange, spit-up.

11. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Also, the different formulas often have different color spits...especially if having sweet potatos earlier in the day.

If the spitting up is new since the formula switch, then it probably is the formula. But, if it was only once, it could be just his body getting used to it, not neccessarily that it's an intolerance to it. My kids all had the dairy/soy allergy...and one of the symptoms (along with eczema, diarhea, bloody diarhea, tons of spitting up, actually throwing up the soy formula) was a runny nose. If it's dripping down the throat, the mucus could also make it more yellowish.