Mutliples "reality" shows

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kumphort, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Just wondering how you all feel about all those multiples shows that are out there, Do you think it gives an unfair perspective at what really goes on in homes with mutliples? it sort of 'hollywoods' and makes light of what parents go through raising their mutliples on their own??

Any thoughts??

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The only one that bothers me is Jon & Kate plus 8....because she basically doesn't do anything around the house anymore she has "help" for everything. She makes it look so easy but realistically she's not doing it. And they are now living off of the kids, neither one is working the "show" is their job. I don't like that.

The rest....the ones I've seen don't bother me, most of them are one time deals, a glimpse into their lives! :)

3. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

Be forewarned Nikki, this question usually gets alot of very heated responses-it seems to open up quite a can of worms! :D

I've really had to defend myself when I've explained my position on this in the past, but...

IMO, I have no issue with what or how anyone wants to raise their kids, as the key phrase is that it's *their* kids. No one can say any better than Mom or Dad what is right or normal for their kids. Obviously children are protected through child labor laws and such, but there are alot of people that consider what familes like the Gosselins are doing to be abusive and living off their kids. Though I personally would never want to do a reality show, I don't think it's my right to say they shouldn't.
    (My identical girls aren't even born yet, and due to my husbands connections in British televison, I've already been asked if I'd consider letting the girls do commercials. And my answer is no, at this point. It may change someday, but right now, no. )

4. MeghanHen

MeghanHen Active Member

I enjoy the ones that are like the 1 episode about them. I enjoyed Jon and Kate's first one's, especially where she was offered to have plastic surgery. But after all the rumors that has surfaced about them alone now, I quit giving my support. I do watch the Duggar show and also Little People Big World. Thats it.

5. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]I am not one to really get into how anyone should raise their kids... just because we get enough junk from people ourselves because we home school our 5 and will home school the twins when time. I don't usually watch the Jon & Kate plus 8 show.. but with me not feeling as well lately I have hit the couch more often when sick.. when I flip sometimes I do stop. I saw an episode the other day when I guess their kids were sick, and she stated that she has someone come in and fold all the laundry she washes and then someone comes and puts it all away :eek: WOW I was shocked!! I mean we have 5 and will have twins soon.. and I know my family plans to come help while I am pregnant but surely I don't want someone to come fold my laundry and then put it away!!

I do find some shows interesting to see a look into their lives like the Duggars, but just a look.. not constant..anyhooo again not my family, and not my cup of tea ;)
    [/SIZE]

6. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I like em' all!! :blush:
    But then again I will pretty much watch any kind of reality TV!! :lol:

7. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I've never seen Jon and Kate plus 8 before, but every time I tell someone I'm expecting twins, they say, "Oh! Have you watched Jon and Kate +8?" Like it's the new standard on life with multiples.

8. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

QUOTE(azucena @ Dec 10 2008, 10:22 AM) [snapback]1105232[/snapback]
    I've never seen Jon and Kate plus 8 before, but every time I tell someone I'm expecting twins, they say, "Oh! Have you watched Jon and Kate +8?" Like it's the new standard on life with multiples.

Everyone says that to me too!!! I'm like I'm having twins, not sextuplets!!!!!!

9. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the "rumors" are about Jon and Kate, but if my DH and I could live off money from being on a show, still be ourselves with our children and afford them all of the opportunities that they have, I would be hard pressed to say I wouldn't do it. Their little ones are four years old and have been skiing in Utah, traveled to Hawaii, Disneyworld, been on Oprah, multiple beach trips and been exposed to opportunities that I know my little ones won't have by that time.

It is easy to get jealous of all the help that Kate gets, but I would love to have someone come fold my laundry! :rotflmbo:

10. tburke75

tburke75 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinsInFL @ Dec 10 2008, 11:33 AM) [snapback]1105365[/snapback]
    I'm not sure what the "rumors" are about Jon and Kate, but if my DH and I could live off money from being on a show, still be ourselves with our children and afford them all of the opportunities that they have, I would be hard pressed to say I wouldn't do it. Their little ones are four years old and have been skiing in Utah, traveled to Hawaii, Disneyworld, been on Oprah, multiple beach trips and been exposed to opportunities that I know my little ones won't have by that time.

It is easy to get jealous of all the help that Kate gets, but I would love to have someone come fold my laundry! :rotflmbo:

I started watching Jon & Kate when I was in the hospital on bedrest. Not many channels to chose from. I agree with TwinsInFl. Kate even said in one episode that her kids would have never had these opportunities if it weren't for the show. The kids seem to not even be aware of the cameras around them most of the time. I do think that Jon & Kate have their kids best interests in mind. It's true that neither one has to work anymore, but she did say it is great to have Jon around more. I would love to have my husband around all the time! I saw one episode that I thought was cute whe one of the little girls looked at the cameraman after one of the snorkling guys in Hawaii called him dude. She said, "that's not dude, that's Scott". The crew is part of the family, it will be sad for all when the show ends. I don't really watch the Duggars and I only saw the one episode of twins, twin, and sextuplets. I couldn't watch that show again because I felt so bad for the one sextuplet with cp. She has five "healthy" siblings and my heart breaks for her.