my 16 month old decides she doesn't want a bottle anymore?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

for the past two weeks my LO who turns 16 months this weekend has decided she no longer wants a bottle.
    is this normal?

we usually give it to her in the morning when she wakes up. not to hold her and make her drink it but she roams the house with it.
    then at naptime when i hold her and do some 'quiet' time before nap she usually drinks it.
    then at bedtime.

not sure what the deal is lately? she wants nothing to do with it! she will take 4-5 sips and be done.

is this a sign she no longer wants a bottle? could it be something else?
    if she doesnt want the bottle anymore than how do i get her to go to sleep, lol? we use the bottle as a snuggle time!

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

We switched our LOs to sippy cups (actually the straw cups) about 3 months ago. I think they drink more milk with the cups. It is less work to get the milk out.

does she drink other things out of a cup? does she know how to use a sippy cup? maybe the bottle is just too much effort.
    Try different cups and see what she likes better.
    If she is still drinking from the bottle at nap and bed time then drop the morning bottle first.
    If she is refusing all bottles could try doing cuddle time with a sippy cup, or with nothing to drink and give her milk at other times during the day.

3. ilovemykids

shes been using straw, hard-spout and soft spout cups since 8 months...

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine pitched the bottle at 13 mos - perfectly normal! Anytime after a year I would expect it...

5. ilovemykids

my twins never did this
    lol

do i just give her a sippy at nap/bedtime and try and snuggle? i feel bad just putting in her crib without a bottle and some snuggles.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would listen to what she is telling you. To me it sounds like she's done with it. I'd probably take her to wherever you give her the bottle hold her and sing her a song then plop her in her crib. It's a new transition but that's babyhood. :)

2 people like this.
  7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Totally normal. Developmentally, they don't need a bottle after a year. I'd switch to sippies or cups. And you could use it as an opportunity to cut out bottles/milk to soothe to sleep. It's not good for their teeth. Maybe buy her a cool water bottle (my kids have like kid Camelbacks or something) and give her water when she goes to sleep. That's a habit you don't have to worry about breaking and that doesn't hurt them at all.

1 person likes this.
  8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this. It sounds like she is done with the bottle. One of the things I did when we dropped bottles is made a period of quiet time before nap and sleep-no TV, not a lot of noise or light and let them quietly drink a sippy of milk before nap and bedtime.