My 6 year old refuses to give up his old clothing

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MarchI, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I am having a battle right now as I do every summer because he thinks that as long as the shorts fit, they fit fine. He is 49 inches tall, 51 lbs and squeezing his bottom into size 5 shorts. When you look at every size chart (ok, i looked at childrens place and old navy) he is a size 7. Any tips for getting him to understand how clothing should fit? He honestly doesn't care about clothes but he pitches a fit when I tell him he needs new clothes. God forbid I ask him to actually go to a store to try things on.

Anyone else in this boat??

2. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

I don't give my kids the choice. LOL! I pack their clothes up in a box (to save for the next kid) and buy them new clothes. They get over it. :)

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Yeah when he's gone take them out of the room or don't return them after laundry. I don't usually try clothes on the girls. I can usually pick their clothes pretty well or return them.

4. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't even try to reason anymore. Go get new stuff and put it in his drawers and pass the old stuff along.

Marissa

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

As PP said, old stuff disappears and new is suddenly in the drawers.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Same here, I have never had my kids try anything on in the store. I pull out the old stuff and the new stuff goes in the drawer or closet.

7. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. Buy new clothes and put them in the dresser. He will likely wear them without a problem. One of my DDs was attached to a nightgown. It was a gift when she was 1 year old and she wore it until she was 5! When she was 1, it went to the floor. By the time she was 5, it was like a shirt. I actually love all the pictures of her wearing the nightgown throughout the years. :) But, there is a difference between what I let her wear in the house and what can be worn outside. :))

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, box them up and put the new clothes in the drawer. Does he understand helping others? Maybe you could have him help you box up his old clothes to take to goodwill or give to a needy family and talk up what you two are going to do. Then maybe he might be more willing to part with the old clothes and wear the new ones.

1 person likes this.
  9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Agree with others, box'm up.

We dont try anything on, I jsut buy it and if it happens to not fit I will return it- but that is very very rare (sometimes it is too big and I simply put it away for next year).

I tell the girls the stuff was too small since they grew and I am saving it for their baby cousin for when she gets older.

Sometimes we get protests and wails-- but they get over it, especially if the wanted item is already packed away.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would also just have them disappear and replace them with new. Even if I had to replace the old with similar new.

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids are also very reluctant to give up their clothes, and they wear a lot of stuff that is sort of too small. (They also have some garments that go from being ankle-length pants to knee-length shorts over the course of a few years...) But they seem to be putting on inches much faster than pounds, so tightness isn't usually an issue.

Amy has gotten broader in the shoulders, so I'm able to get some dresses away from her when I point out that I can barely button them. But I still have to disappear some things.

It helps that we have close friends who have a toddler girl, so A&S know where their clothes are going and are usually happy to "give it to [P]." The only problem is that they know where I keep P's bag, and they look in it every once in awhile. If they find something in there that they didn't consent to giving up, they take it back. :rolleyes:

I also don't take them shopping to try stuff on (except very rarely). I just buy stuff and it usually fits -- or if it doesn't, it's because it's too big (I always think they're bigger than they are).