My 9 month old son doesn't sleep through the night yet.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinmama83, Jan 9, 2007.

1. twinmama83

twinmama83 Member

I am trying to figure out a way, my son can sleep through the night. My daughter can sleep 11 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which I am happy about, but my son on the other hand sleeps for maybe 4 hours at the most at night, and then he starts crying in his crib. I usually pick him up and feed him, and then put him in my bed to go to sleep through the rest of the night. I really want to break this habit, because I want him to sleep on his own. I find myself having to nurse him 2-3 times in the middle of the night for him to go back to sleep. Is he really hungry? I read in a article, that I should just pat his back for him to go back to sleep, and he should go back to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions to get him to go back to sleep on his own. I thought about using a pacifier. I also read that at this age they get seperation anxiety, so maybe that might be a factor. Im not sure, but would love to get your opinions!

2. twinmama83

twinmama83 Member

I am trying to figure out a way, my son can sleep through the night. My daughter can sleep 11 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which I am happy about, but my son on the other hand sleeps for maybe 4 hours at the most at night, and then he starts crying in his crib. I usually pick him up and feed him, and then put him in my bed to go to sleep through the rest of the night. I really want to break this habit, because I want him to sleep on his own. I find myself having to nurse him 2-3 times in the middle of the night for him to go back to sleep. Is he really hungry? I read in a article, that I should just pat his back for him to go back to sleep, and he should go back to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions to get him to go back to sleep on his own. I thought about using a pacifier. I also read that at this age they get seperation anxiety, so maybe that might be a factor. Im not sure, but would love to get your opinions!

3. Arislexis

Arislexis Member

omg, i'm so right there with you. [​IMG]

My babies are a few days shy of 9 months old, Kaylin can almost sleep through the night. A few nights ago she didn't eat at all, woke up once or twice and went back to sleep. Last night she woke at 5 am and had a small bottle. But she's definitely getting there.

Kyle on the other hand will wake up anywhere from 10 pm to 1 am and cry until he gets his bottle. Then he goes back to sleep. Then around 4 or 4:30 am he wakes up again, fusses for a while and if you don't pick him up will start getting loud. So we pick him up and put him in the bed with us. Where he promptly proceeds to fall asleep. He sprawls, I mean SPRAWLS!!! in our bed! Makes himself all comfy and sleeps till 7 or 8 am!!!

How do I get him to stop eatting at midnight and stay in his own bed through the night??? He's way big enough to sleep through the night, he's at least 22 lbs now and about 29".

4. duranjt

duranjt Well-Known Member

No words of advice here other than to say, ME TOO ME TOO!! David will go down around 8:30 and sleep until 6-7am. Owen, on the other hand, will go down around 8:30, then up again at 12, 3, 6...basically every 3-4 hours to eat! [​IMG] (not really, but I am starting to really feel like I'll never sleep well again...)
    ARGH!!!
    And to top it off, last night he slept for almost 7 hours, but his darling big sister was up all night vomiting with the stomach flu!! IT'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST SLEEP@!!!
    Just wanted to say I'm there with ya~!!
    [​IMG] Nicole

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

At 9 months, he probably doesn't need to eat. Since you are BF, I would try, maybe on the weekend, to get your DH to check on him, also, don't go in as soon as he wakes, give him 5-10 min to see if he will go back to sleep on his own.

If they take pacifiers, you can try giving a pacifier instead of a bottle, that may be enough to soothe them back to sleep.

Good luck!

6. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

Mine are the same. Sophie during the summer would sleep 7 untill 7 every night. Now they both wake up at least 4 times each during the night and its not even to get fed! So your not alone i have forgotten what sleep is x

7. LeslieLu

LeslieLu Well-Known Member

Yay I'm not alone! One of my girls sleeps through, while the other one does not. The night before last all I had to do was cover her and pat her back and she slept until 6:45. Last night, however, she woke up at 11 which I suspected she would as she didn't finish her bottle and then at 4:30 she woke up again. I tried the routine from the night before and she was not havin it! Their naps were off yesterday so I'm hoping that was her problem. Otherwise, I don't know what to do either..I can't do CIO. I know that is exactly what she needs, but I have issues with it that I wish I didn't! [​IMG] I just can't stand to hear her cry and I can't leave the room or go for a walk or whatever cuz I know she is crying. [​IMG] Ah well.

8. 2peasNApod

2peasNApod Well-Known Member

Count me in too!!!!! Mine take turns! One night one will sleep but the other will get up. They both go down at 7:30...Brooklyn sometimes wakes at midnight and Braden will usually cry at 4am but it's every other night.

We had a BIG round of teething (7 top teeth between the two of them) these last few weeks, so that messed up our feedings/nights...we were back to getting up every 3 hours ALL NIGHT when that happened.

Someone suggested I give them water bottles when they wake at night, because they don't "need" the feeding. Supposidly, this will deter them from waking night after night.

I can't do CIO...so hopefully this doesn't continue until they are 10 years old, LOL!!!

9. twoboys3

twoboys3 Well-Known Member

Wow, I feel lucky. My boys are the same age and they will once in a while get up and kinda talk and whine but will go back to sleep again. They go to bed at 7pm until 7-8ish.. Not much advice but I keep like 4 nuks in each crib so if they get up they can find one.
    I knwo when they were around 6 mts they would get up out of habit for a bottle and wouldnt even drink much so I ended up letting someone CIO. I keep toys in there crib too. I dont think they need to food anymore in the middle of the night, I think its more of habit!!
    Thanks Misty