My appts today - it was a long day! - LONG

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Overachiever, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Whew, I just woke up from a nap! I had to crawl back into bed after all the dang visits today! But generally good news.

Saw the peri for a doppler; still "stable to improving" which was great news. He said we can go another wk. Since we're at 34 today, this is fantastic. For all those dealing with IUGR/Cord blood flow issues, I did ask him a question: Can we safely assume that since the blood flow and fluid levels are stable, that Baby B is continuing to grow? (I'm still nervous about that last growth study - 2p10oz.) He said yes, although slow, she should be at least 3lbs by now. I'll get an actual study next week.

At the OB's, I had the NST (went great) and a consult with the doc. Weird thing happened: My BP was 114/? at the peri's, then at the ob's was 138/? so they were worried about my high BP. I said, it must be cause I just fibbed to my MIL (I told her the doc wanted to see me privately - God love her, and so do I, but she's been really nosy at my appts lately!). Anyway, they checked it again and my reflexes and they were fine.

However, I have some protein in my urine, so I was sent downstairs for bloodwork and to pick up my giant jug to collect urine for 24 hours - yuck! BTW, does anyone know am I supposed to refrigerate it? Cause if so, yuck!

Finally, I asked the OB once more about whether I can reconsider vag delivery, since we're so far along now. He pretty much told me no, to put it out of my mind. The problem is with the placental issue, that every time I have a contraction it will cut off her oxygen supply, and since she isn't getting enough anyway, they just don't want to risk it. So I give up. The good new is, they are going to do it next week, so it's nice and scheduled and safe. So I might have babies next week! Yikes! I told him that sounded better than in 3 wks - I don't want to go into labor on xmas and it be him, me, my DH, and the janitor working anesthesia! LOL

Sorry so long!

2. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Whew, I just woke up from a nap! I had to crawl back into bed after all the dang visits today! But generally good news.

Saw the peri for a doppler; still "stable to improving" which was great news. He said we can go another wk. Since we're at 34 today, this is fantastic. For all those dealing with IUGR/Cord blood flow issues, I did ask him a question: Can we safely assume that since the blood flow and fluid levels are stable, that Baby B is continuing to grow? (I'm still nervous about that last growth study - 2p10oz.) He said yes, although slow, she should be at least 3lbs by now. I'll get an actual study next week.

At the OB's, I had the NST (went great) and a consult with the doc. Weird thing happened: My BP was 114/? at the peri's, then at the ob's was 138/? so they were worried about my high BP. I said, it must be cause I just fibbed to my MIL (I told her the doc wanted to see me privately - God love her, and so do I, but she's been really nosy at my appts lately!). Anyway, they checked it again and my reflexes and they were fine.

However, I have some protein in my urine, so I was sent downstairs for bloodwork and to pick up my giant jug to collect urine for 24 hours - yuck! BTW, does anyone know am I supposed to refrigerate it? Cause if so, yuck!

Finally, I asked the OB once more about whether I can reconsider vag delivery, since we're so far along now. He pretty much told me no, to put it out of my mind. The problem is with the placental issue, that every time I have a contraction it will cut off her oxygen supply, and since she isn't getting enough anyway, they just don't want to risk it. So I give up. The good new is, they are going to do it next week, so it's nice and scheduled and safe. So I might have babies next week! Yikes! I told him that sounded better than in 3 wks - I don't want to go into labor on xmas and it be him, me, my DH, and the janitor working anesthesia! LOL

Sorry so long!

3. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Great going getting to 34 weeks. It's such a relief to be there I know. As for the section I empathize, I wanted my second to be Vbac but Dr said no and Now having my 3 c/s. Oh well, better to be safe than sorry!
    Good Luck [​IMG]

4. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I'm so excited that things continue to look up for you and your girls. You've made it soooo much farther than they originally thought you would! Way to go! [​IMG]

5. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear the good news. Grow baby girl. My peri told me the same thing about the blood flow and fluid level. I hang on to all the hope I can get. Congrats on reaching 34 weeks. I hope to be saying that to myself in 2 weeks.

Hugs,
    Beth

6. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

So glad to hear the cord blood flow is stable/improving! What a relief! As far as Baby B growing, my little one with the exact same issues grew 10 oz. in one month (had the u/s Monday). So, not as accelerated as Baby A's growth, but growth nonetheless. I bet B might surprise you next week! And one gal posted a message that her IUGR baby B was actually the HEALTHIER of the two when they entered the world! Didn't even have to stay in the NICU!

I, too, was told it will probably be a c section for me. I figured I wasn't going to fight it at this point. I had my first vaginally, so I guess I'll be 'lucky' enough to experience both varieties!

OK - the blood pressure thing - my DH took my blood pressure this weekend becasue I was feeling a little ill - and mine was elevated to 140/90. And I am consistently around 100/60. Had the headaches, one 30 second episode of tunnel vision/seeing spots...but had no protein in my urine at the doc yesterday. What will they do after they have you collect all that urine? If it's preeclampsia, do they just give you some medication? You're so close to having the babies...

As far as refrigeration on the urine - I have no idea! Just the thought of collecting that much urine based on all the water they are telling us to drink, you might need a 10 gallon aquarium to store it!! LOL!

CANNOT WAIT to hear from you next week!

7. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

I am also expecting girls. They are due 1-24-07. As to your question about the urine collection...with my son (17-months old) I ended up with preeclampsia and had to do a 24 hour urine collection, I was told to put it in a ice cream bucket full of ice. It's gross but it's better than putting it in your fridge.

8. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Sara, you are soo living up to your display name! I am soo proud of you!

Sorry, don't know anything about the urine.

Enjoy this final stretch of your pregnancy and not exactly sure when it is but Happy Birthday to Trinady!

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

YAY!!! I am so glad that everything is going well - you are doing a great job!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Yes you do need to keep the 24 hour urine cold, whether it be in the fridge (which I do suggest you do) or keep it in a cooler full of ice, make sure to replace the ice.
    As for the random bp issues, its called labile, meaning it goes up and down. Preeclampsia is diagnosed with 2 high bp readings 140/90 in a 6 hour time period, doenst have to stay high, alogn with spilling 300 mg of protein in the 24 hour. The office dips are NOT accurate especially in a twin pregnancy, drinking alot can cause the urine to be diluted and not show how much you are really spilling. Please be careful, watch for headaches, swelling, pain under your right breast to your back, basically anything different or severe.

quote:
    Originally posted by ReallyTiredMom:

OK - the blood pressure thing - my DH took my blood pressure this weekend becasue I was feeling a little ill - and mine was elevated to 140/90. And I am consistently around 100/60. Had the headaches, one 30 second episode of tunnel vision/seeing spots...but had no protein in my urine at the doc yesterday. What will they do after they have you collect all that urine? If it's preeclampsia, do they just give you some medication? You're so close to having the babies...

Reallytired mom, your post has me worried, seriously...read my siggy Ive had pree twice, its not something to mess with
    Please read my above post, you cannot know how much you are spilling unless you do a 24 hour urine. WHen it is turned in the lab will analyze it to measure the amount of protein you are spilling. Preeclampsia affects your kidneys and liver, can cause both to shut down. Pree is nothing to take lightly and really not trying to scare you but it is one of the most common misdiagnosed issues in pregnancy, it is also the most common killer of pregnant woman, it affects your baby just as badly. You can begin to have siezures, which is not a good thing, this is called eclampsia. Some doctors can prescribe bp meds but if it is bad enough your bp will continue to rise and delivery will HAVE to happen to save the life of you and your babies. Please if you are not feeling well, get to the doctors, dont wait. When I had my son I was told that had I not been at the hospital, both of us would have died within 48 hours...Im not saying you have it this bad, but I am worried, it takes a good bit to worry me too. You need labs and a 24 hour urine done ASAP!

SO seriously I know my posts about preeclampsia scare people but this is something to NOT take lightly. THe majority of woman who develop pree never even know they are sick, they never feel it, it just happens. The majority also never progress to severe preeclampia or HELLP syndrome but there is NOO way to know unless you have the proper testing done and even with that you can go from good to really bad in minutes, not days, hours, it can seriously happen in minutes. I went from fine to OMG you have to deliver now VERY quickly!

Please check out www.preeclampsia.org Check out the signs and symptoms page and check out the forums there. PLEASE

11. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

what a great appointment and 35 weeks is a great milestone.

i'll post on my day separately, however i did want to share this, we had 2 growth u/s today and the results were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. My point is this, u/s measurement is not an exact science, so your girls could be even bigger than you think!

Either way, I'm glad they let you cook them this long, I'm not a big proponent of delivering early because of IUGR issues alone.

Miriam

12. Babygus0

Babygus0 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great appointment and good job keeping those babies cooking!

13. brooke78

brooke78 Well-Known Member

Just a not to say congratulaitons. To have a date for next week -wow--you must be excited. You are so funny the janitor hahaha "PAGING the janitor to assist in the OR" I hope you have a wonderful delivery of your 2 new family members!

14. lkfmommy

lkfmommy Well-Known Member

Sara I'm so happy for you! YAY on 34 weeks! I was JUST thinking of you today and I just had time to sit down and see what was new.

When are you scheduled for anyway? I don't think I've seen that post.

15. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

quote:
    I don't want to go into labor on xmas and it be him, me, my DH, and the janitor working anesthesia! LOL

Hey, thanks, that's my 38-week date!!!! I don't want Christmas babies!!!! [​IMG]

Wow, you could have these babies next week ... how crazy is that!!! It's like, BAM, finally, here it is. Hang in there Sara, you're doing great!!!!!!!

16. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sara, you have done so great! I can't wait to meet your babies [​IMG]!

17. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Well done Sara. It must be thrilling to know you can have your babies next week. I am so jealous because i cant wait to meet mine, still long to go. keep us posted and I cant wait to meet the little ones.

18. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Glad to hear your appt went well! What a treat, knowing you will meet your babies next week! Best of Luck and keep us posted!

19. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

congratulations on a great appointment and a date [​IMG] as far as the urine collection, call and ask the dr. Usually when they do 24 hour collections in the hospital they are not always kept cold, protein should not be affected by temperature so it may not make a difference. I would ask to be safe.

20. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news! Seeing you hit all these milestones when at one point it seemed like your girls would have to arrive weeks earlier! yay

21. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

What a great job and great news! It is amazing that you will see your babies so soon, and knowing that you cooked them this long is inspiring to me! Stay sane and healthy (and remember to bring the phone to the potty!) LOL

22. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

Congrats on making it so far!