My baby may have eaten glass

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jenn G, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

So, last night I get home from work and upon walking in the front door I'm greeted by my 2 dear babies sitting on the kitchen surronded by a broken jar of grape jelly. I of course freaked out and called for dh who had run upstairs to help dd with the tub. He was only gone for a second and didn't hear the glass smashing due to the water running. When I came in Van was covered in the grape jelly, his hands especially. Finn hadn't really had a chance to get into it. He also had some jelly near his mouth so now I'm terrified that he may have ingested some chards of glass. What do I do?? He seems fine and only has a small cut on his leg but what do I look for? I'm going to call the pedi when their office opens in a minute, but I'm looking for some advice- anyone have experience with this??

2. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

A little over a year ago, something similar happened to us. Our son (who was almost one) pulled the candle holder centerpiece in the middle of our kitchen table down and it shattered. I was pretty sure he ate a piece of the glass, so I called the pedi. She said there really isn't much they can do and that their stomach coats it with saliva and it isn't normally a problem. If he is acting okay, he's probably fine, but I'd go ahead and put a call into your doctor's office anyway to see if they suggest anything.

I'm sorry! I know how scary that is! Hope he's okay. :hug:

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

oh my goodness! I would just look for signs of him acting different than usual. I hope he didn't eat any glass and is okay :hug:

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: I would call the Ped, but I bet he is just fine. Let us know what the Ped says.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

OMGosh how scary! Let us know what the pedi says.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: I can't imagine what I'd be thinking in your situation. I hope it all works out for the best!

7. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

He's probably okay :hug:. Let us know how it goes!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope he's okay! Let us know how you make out!

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My Sarah did the same thing--she took a bite out of a glass ornament on the Christmas Tree. MY SIL who is an RN told me to give her milk and watch her stools. If she ate glass, she will pass it through her BM's. She told me that if I saw blood, call the doc immediately, but no blood meant that there was no damage. It was pretty much a waiting game for us and to our relief, she was just fine.

10. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

How scary--Call the ped. Hope all goes well

11. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Utopia122 @ Sep 30 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]1005838[/snapback]
    My Sarah did the same thing--she took a bite out of a glass ornament on the Christmas Tree. MY SIL who is an RN told me to give her milk and watch her stools. If she ate glass, she will pass it through her BM's. She told me that if I saw blood, call the doc immediately, but no blood meant that there was no damage. It was pretty much a waiting game for us and to our relief, she was just fine.

That's pretty much what the ped's nurse told me to do. So far so good. Thanks for all the well wishes!