My identicals are now fraternals, lol

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by shrimpsey, Apr 1, 2010.

1. shrimpsey

shrimpsey Member

Well, The babies are fraternal, they each have their own sac and placenta!!! YAY! That lowers so much risk, AND they could be a boy and a girl now. I am excited, and although identicals would have been cool, I am relieved at the lower risk of fraternals. I was surprised though because they sure looked identical from that last ultrasound.

NT measurements were 1.2mm on A, and 1.6mm on B. YAY! Both measured 13W 2D, and the doc changed my DD to October 7th so I need to change my ticker. Officially in trimester 2!! Man this is going fast, lol. Next scan, April 16th. Hoping to get a peek at the genders!

2. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Yay for two Placentas!! They could still be identical though ;)

3. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

My girls are in their own sac's and have their own placenta's too but we still have the chance of them being about 20-30% odds that they are identical. I am going to see what they look like when they come out and if they look the same, we are going to run a DNA test on them. I am so excited that there is a chance that they could be identical! Good luck to you!

4. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

My girls had 2 sacs and 2 placentas and they are identical

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yay for lower risk twins! I'm another in the di/di camp who had a low chance of identicals. But identical the are!

6. shrimpsey

shrimpsey Member

Interestig. How do you know if your di/di's have a chance at being identical? I thought there was a chance too, but when I aksed the tech said they are fraternal, and based it on that there were 2 placentas?? I guess we won't know until they are born then. Unless they are boy/girl twins, lol.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

you were right & the tech was wrong. It all depends on what day they split- I cannot remember which days are important, sorry (mommy brain!). The techs told me they'd be fraternal, too; and most likely they are. However, if they are the same sex you can elect to have them tested for about $100. We did because I HAD to know. :)

8. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

You can only be sure they are frats before they're born if they are b/g. Mine are frats, they look completely different. I know a woman who has been told her clearly ID sons are frats because they were di/di. She just assumes no one can tell them apart because they "don't know them yet." No one even suspects mine are twins now that they are school age. IDs normally look obviously different to their families, but if--especially when they are no longer infants--you have to dress them in different colors for others to tell them apart, that's a clue that they are likely ID. (I mean others like your friends and extended family. Regular people who barely know you will generally assume ID because that's what "twins" means to them, and will insist they look just alike even when they don't.)

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Even if they are b/g. :laughing:

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

That is very weird that they would go from being mono di to di di.

what does your earliest ultrasound pic look like? Can we see it?

Are there 2 babies in ONE black hole or do they each have their own black hole? I'm not sure this tech knows what he/she is talking about here..

11. shrimpsey

shrimpsey Member

Sure, here is the first picture from 9 weeks 5 days

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/shrimpsey/009-9.jpg

Looking very identical, however when I went back at 13 weeks, they seen both placenta's and the separate sacs.
    Baby A's placenta is posterior and baby B's placenta is anterior. Here are their pics from the 13 week scan

Baby A
    http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/shrimpsey/020-5.jpg

Baby B
    http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/shrimpsey/016-5.jpg

12. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

My boys are di/di identical! And yes, we decided to have them DNA tested. I just had to know. My Dr. was under the old school thought of two placentas = frats for sure. I had to update him, lol. He is literally in his 70's and I couldn't have asked for a better Dr. even though he was wrong on this one point. :)

13. lianyla

AHA!

Just as I susptected!

FIRE thy tech!

They ARE mono di and they always have been!

IF you have older ultrasounds, it is best to use those! As they get bigger, it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder to tell what is what and what lies where..

You ARE having identical mono di twins!

So, you ARE still high risk.

Do you see how there is NO VISIBLE separating membrane in your first ultrasound pic? That indicates ONE placenta!

Good luck and find someone who treats you for high risk for the rest of your pg! Congrats!!

14. shrimpsey

shrimpsey Member

But I seen both placenta's on the last ultrasound. She let me watch the whole thing, and showed me both. She was even able to et both placentas in one shot? guess we will know more on my next scan on the 16th at the bigger center. I will KUP on what they say, its in a different city, so totally differant team.

15. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Actually not always true. It's a coincidence that I have actually been emailing a girl who has "mono di" twins and the doc thought they were at risk for ttts because of a size difference at 13 weeks. Well lo and behold 2 weeks later another scan reveals that one baby is a boy and the other a girl. Their placentas were fused, appearing to be one.

16. lianyla

It is not placentas that I am referrring to because this late you cannot see where they end and begin- where is the dividing membrane in her first photo? Have you ever seen di di twins w/o a dividing membrane?

If you have ,then, I am wrong. I, myself, have not EVER seen it??

I could still be wrong but I'd bet TONS of money on the fact that the first techs were right when they dx you w/ mono di twins.. I think you're having them!

GL and keep us posted, for sure :) I'd rather be safe than sorry in your case :)

17. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I am another that was told my boys had to be frats due to being di/di. They shared nothing at all. This was the head of neonatology at Northwestern that told me! Once they were born, the nurses said there was no way they were frats. They looked exactly the same. We did the DNA test and the Dr. was wrong. They are identical.

18. medicinemansgirl

medicinemansgirl Well-Known Member

My boys are older now but I still find this so interesting. I was told from the very beginning once they were discovered that they were ID. They were "obviously" mono/di and shared one huge large placenta. I was even given the 98% and 99% positive that they were Id's and was watched for TTTS since they developed a weight discordance at around 24 wks...that eventually grew to "2 lbs" in the pregnancy per u/s weights. When they were born they were less than a lb apart. One had red hair and one had blond....completely different and a far cry from the Id's we were expecting. They examined the placenta and in my hospital records it says that the placenta fused so early on that place of fusing was difficult to locate...thus the "one" placenta. The dividing membrane between them was hairline thin from the beginning so they used this plus the one placenta to make the ID diagnosis. And now they couldn't look more different. One's got bright red hair and the other is blond. LOL! I think alot of the time techs don't even know what all they're talking about. My 99% sure Id's are as fraternal as they come!! LOL!