My kids bored at playdate at our house

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by blessedby2, Jul 7, 2010.

1. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

We had a playdate today with a girl that my kids really like from preschool. They couldn't wait for her to come over and within a 1/2 hour of her showing up my DD said she didn't know what to do and was bored. And, about 1 hour later, my DS is laying on the floor saying, "I'm bored." I got them involved in activities, but it got me thinking - "Should I have planned activities for a playdate?" I haven't done this in the past. Usually the friend(s) that come over are running all over the house from one room to the next playing with toys, but not today. Their friend wanted to paint or watch a movie. I got out the paint and quickly found out she was the only one who wanted to paint, so she painted while my kids did other stuff and this is when my DS got bored.

I don't want to be the "boring mom on the block" so I need some ideas here.

First, what do you do - planned activies or not?

Second, if you do planned activies, what are they?

Hope you can help.

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have "no tv, movie or computer" rule for when friends are over for both. If someone is there for one of them, I'll let the other have a tiny bit of computer time.

It honestly depends on the children and the day as to what we do. Some of the kids are great for running around playing. When I've needed activities, I'll pull out foam stickers and dot paint, or playdoh, or have a water squirter fight in the back yard. Sometimes we've ended up with boardgames, also. It just depends on the day.

Marissa

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I never ever plan things for a playdate...that is the joy of having a playdate! The friends are there to entertain each other, not mom or dad! I may have to orchestrate ideas, like I may bring out the dress up boxes, or I may bring out the foamie stickers and paper. But I do that when I am home with just the kids.

We also have a no tv, computer, or video game rule when friends are over. (Well, sometimes we will play wii, but not usually.)

I have found that certain kids just jive better with my kids. It could just be that this friendship is not worth fostering. When B&H get along really well with another child, I rarely have to get involved in their playdate time.

4. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

WOW am I odd mom out! When my kids have friends over I usually pop in a movie after an hour of the friend being here if they are bored!

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

When we have friends over, they usually entertain themselves with no intervention from me. I also don't typically allow TV or video games during playdates.

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys are pretty good at entertaining guests on their own. They either play Lego's or video games. I'm just there to provide lunch and/or snacks. We may be having a friend over tomorrow, but I think I'm going to plan some outdoor time.
    Maybe next time you and your children could sit together the day before and plan out a few activities that they know they'll enjoy. That way you have a plan of action and they'll know what to expect.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are a little younger, but I do often have to facilitate playdates. Some groups of kids just entertain themselves better than others. I would probably try to have a couple of things in mind for them to do if they seem aimless -- stamp art, water play (if it's nice out), Legos, etc. Also, there's always food. :laughing:

It probably helps if you get out a toy or activity that your own kids haven't seen for awhile, so it's as exciting for them as it is for the visitor.

I wouldn't write this friend off (at least not yet) -- maybe she's just quiet and likes to do her own thing. Often when my two are invited on a playdate, Amy winds up playing with the host child while Sarah just does something on her own. As long as they're not excluding her on purpose (which they never are, as far as I can see), I think she just likes it that way.

8. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I have some stock ideas I rotate. I have a cabinet full of party plates & decorations from the Dollar Store or leftover from parties - we have a doll or teddy bear birthday party. I have yards of tulle that takes 5 minutes to hang in the dining room, I make a cake or cupcakes, we have "Pin the crown on the princess", party games, I make cheap gift bags for each child, etc - the kids & mothers always love that one.

We have dress up parties - I have tons of dress up clothes & we ask the kids to bring some of their own. We have princess, fairy, pirate, western, & grown up clothes - the kids playact in the costumes, dance & perform. I videotape & burn DVDs to send home with the kids.

Prebake cookies, divide frosting, sprinkles, etc into individual parts - cupcake paper works great for the sprinkles - and have a cookie decorating party.

My girls love wolves and Alaska - we will gather all the white blankets & pillows & place them in the living room. The kids use them to make ice caves, play with all the stuffed wolves we have & play "Balto" - my girls love teaching other kids the story.

There is also a lot of just running around & playing!

9. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, and please keep them coming. After reading your responses, I don't feel that I'm out of the norm on this one, but I will definitely have more activities planned out for our next playdate with this girl when she comes by. BellaRissa, sounds like your house is the fun place to be. Your ideas, as well as others posted, have inspired me. :)