my LO is always hungry

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ilovemykids, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

my LO gets 4 bottles a day with 8 oz in them. (32 oz total)

she sucks down one of those plum organics pouches, right from the pouch in a matter of seconds. then screams she wants more. she has no teeth yet; still loves puffs, cheerios, banana chunks, chunks of veggies, etc.

i am just wondering how much you all feed your LO's a day at this age? both solids and bottles?
    TIA

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would try protein like chicken or beef. Maybe beans as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Honestly I would skip the pouches. Have her eat with the spoon. I know it seems convinent but she may not register that she is full sucking them down so fast. The pouches are basically a bottle and she might not get the satisfaction from fruit that she does from the mix of protein and fat she gets with a real bottle. Plus she will eventually need practice with a spoon. You may find that she doesn't want as much when you feed her with a spoon or let her play with the food on the high chair tray and try to feed herself. Make her work for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would ditch the pouches as well. By that age my kids were on the higher level of baby foods and eating table foods with us. We were starting the transition to solids and slowly cutting back on formula.

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I can't believe how much my LOs eat! I was just wondering if this was normal!

Yesterday i made a breakfast casserole. I cut three equal slices, one for me, one for Dh and split the other between the kids. They ate it all!

it was made with bread, eggs, hamburger meat (instead of ham.. too salty), milk, flour, cheese.

they drink about 24 to 26 oz of milk and eat three meals daily. Two of the three meals they eat really well. the third is more snack like.. cheerios, avacado pieces, slice of pear.
    I have done the fruit pouches when we are traveling. DD (usually my good eater) doesn't really like them and barely finishes one. DS needs two to be satisfied. They are both more hungry the next meal.

6. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

My kids eat at least 3 times a day, usually with a snack in there somewhere. I give them shredded cheese, string cheese (I take it apart), egg, chicken or ground beef for protein. Veggies they get cucumbers, avocadoes, tomatoes, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, baked zuchinni, stir fried pepper, raw green beans, before they had opposing teeth I used to peel cold raw carrots and let them chew on them- they loved it! Fruits they get pretty much anything, I will just slice apples really thin, everything else I cut up like normal. We steer clear of grains around here so they don't get any of that stuff. Plus they nurse probably around 6-8 times day.

1 person likes this.
  7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of getting away from the pouches, here are some other ideas.

My LOs are eating basically what we eat. I just cut it really small (pea size) and let them go at it. It as really messy at first but they are getting neater (relatively speaking.. lol). At first they don't get a lot in their mouths but that gets better pretty quick.. nothing like instant reward!

Peas, broccoli, asparagus tops, Beans of all kinds, plums, mango, oranges, grapes (pealed and quartered), squash, sweet potatoes, kiwi, cantaloupe, corn, and i try to do meat once a day.. chicken, hamburger, pork

You can also try big pieces of things and let them gum them. My LOs have teeth now but i started this when they had 0. Good things to gum.. Bread well toasted and buttered (no salt butter), large slice of pear or apple. You just have to keep an eye on them that they don't get bite off a really big chunk. You will be surprised how they can manage!

This way they decide when to stop, so i never have to worry if they got enough or too much. It is cheaper, easier, and i think they love eating what we eat!

8. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I'm so excited to try that....no baby food this time around! :)

9. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

My twins are 9 months. My son drinks 14-16 oz a day while I'm at work, nurses in the morning and then nurses at least 1-2 times before bed (he mostly sleeps through, but if he wakes up I'll nurse him if he wants it). He's probably getting about 25+ oz formula/breast milk day (my supply is pretty crummy these days).

My daughter drinks 12 oz while I'm at work, nurses in the morning, nurses 1-2 times before bed and then nurses 2-3 times overnight. I'm guessing she also gets about 25+ oz after all the nursing.

They both eat 3 meals a day in addition to their milk/formula. I do serve them puree because they like it but we've been adding lots more table food and working on cutting back the puree (so they get 1/2 container or about 2 oz per meal plus finger foods instead of an entire container). I also feed them yogurt every couple of days.

They love toast (I put a little bit of puree or apple sauce on it and then cut into small pieces), cheerios, graham crackers, banana pieces, diced peaches, avocado, chicken, ground beef, shredded cheese, spaghetti, black beans (any beans really), corn, sweet potatoes or regular potatoes (mashed or baked into fingers), green beans, peas, broccoli, and portions of whatever we're eating. Their favorite meal so far was a crock pot recipe of chicken, black beans, corn that was cooked in mild salsa, then I shredded the chicken and added cheese to it. They gobbled it up like there was no tomorrow. Spaghetti gets the same treatment. :)

I also give them apple slices to gnaw on (one has teeth and one doesn't) and they like to gnaw on things like asparagus too. If anything, the hardest part for me is having enough variety in foods on hand for them to try! I'm not a good cook (don't like cooking) and it's hard for me to think outside the box for feeding the babies (and some of our meals are just not baby friendly).