my LO loves to eat puffs

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ilovemykids, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

lol
    my 'almost' 9 month old really loves puffs. she drinks on average 28-32 oz of formula a day and 3 pouches of food (plum organics, etc).
    when we sit down to eat, she becomes very fussy and literally will only sit there if eating puffs. she has no teeth yet and most of the time, i can't get her to eat her '3rd pouch' of the day for dinner. is this ok? any 'healthier alternatives' to puffs?

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I got some of the puffs too. Seemed like a good idea that they dissolve but switched them to cheerios (much healthier). Cheerios don't dissolve as quick but the size is perfect and they did great with them.

My LOs are 10 months and have been eating basically what we eat. I just cut it really small (pea size) and let them go at it. It as really messy at first but they are getting neater (relatively speaking.. lol). At first they don't get a lot in their mouths but that gets better pretty quick.. nothing like instant reward!

Peas, broccoli, asparagus tops, Beans of all kinds, plums, mango, cheerios, chicken, hamburger, pork, banana, avacado, oranges, grapes, squash, sweet potatoes, kiwi, cantaloupe, corn

I bolded the things that might be good to start with because they are or can be cooked to very soft.

You can also try big pieces of things and let them gum them. My LOs have 2 teeth but i started this when they had 0. Good things to gum.. Bread well toasted and buttered (no salt butter), large slice of pear or apple. You just have to keep an eye on them that they don't get bite off a really big chunk.

My Los got bored with the purees and became less interested in food and really messy. We started finger foods and wallla they love it and are totally interested again. Every once in a while i still give something with the spoon.(yogart, baby prunes)
    The only thing i try to avoid is salt and sugar and nuts.

3. ilovemykids

ok - ty for this info. :)
    she doesn't have ANY teeth yet, either.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with daisies. Just give her some food that isn't in puree form. Annabelle especially likes a breadstick to gnaw on.

5. ilovemykids

TY....
    I'm going to start this!!
    she LOVES sucking the food out of the pouches - she doesn't even like eating it off the spoon, lol!!

6. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

try peeling and apple(like a potato) and hand it to her. It is great for their gums. They basically juice the apple until they get teeth. It is a great teether too?