My poor little guy - he has another allergy

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for poor Max. Yesterday he started breaking out in hives after having a stomach virus last week. DH called me at work and said "Oh they aren't too bad...only about 4 hives." I get home and he has about 8 hives ranging from the size of a nickle to a half dollar. We call the ped and they get us in 1st thing this morning plus had us give him his RX antihystamine.

Well at the ped visit it turns out they are hives from an allergic reaction to mosquito bites. He went outside for the first time yesterday to play after being sick last week, so he must have gotten a few bites even though we had repellent patches on them. They put him on Allegra and said it should clear up by Friday.

So this poor little guy has had:

1. open heart surgery at 8-weeks old

2. allergic reaction to amoxicilian that resulted in an ER visit because he gained 1 lb. in 12 hours and was totally covered in hives (looked like a leopard)

3. allergic reaction to frosting on his 1st birthday cake - turns out he is allergic to cow's milk, whey, butter, and casein

4. now allergic to mosquito's

My whole pregnancy they focused on Lily because she was smaller by about a pound and told us he was the healthy one. They were born and the exact opposite happened.

I just feel so bad for our little guy. He keeps getting thrown these curve balls, but at least we have gotten through it all so far. Thanks for letting me have a little pity party for Max. Now I can pull myself together and get back to life.

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Aaaawwwww.... :hug: Momma and :hug: to Max, too! It's hard on us moms when they are sick or ailing. It makes you feel so darn helpless!

I hope the Allegra works wonders on the little guy.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Awww, poor thing. I hope he gets over the hives quickly.

As a side note, this is the first year we have had our lawn sprayed for mosquitos. The company that does out lawn fertilizing comes out and does it once a month and it lasts that whole month. We have not seen ONE mosquito in our yard and are constantly explaining to our neighbor why we're able to go out at dusk or with muggy weather and not get eaten alive while she is. I don't know if that would work with your kind of yard, but it may be worth looking into if it's a possibility. Ours was $45 a treatment and if we bought 3 months, we got the 4th month free. It's been worth it so far.

4. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Not fun, allergies of any kind are so hard on kids. Hope he gets better soon.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: to you and Max!

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Put dryer sheets under his bed sheets. If any mosquitos get in the house, it keeps them away.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My mother told me this yesterday! Actually we were all outside and she had a dryer sheet in her pocket. Seemed to work.

8. becasquared

When we were in Florida, those buggers would get in the house in droves. Even with screened doors, and I scoffed when I first saw this, but decided to try it and it worked. We would have 20 mosquitos in the house and they would bite me and my husband, but the kids would be totally fine.

9. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

:hug: to you and little Max! I hope the meds do the trick.

10. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Poor little guy. I have a friend whose son is terribly allergic to mosquitoes too. I've never heard the dryer sheet thing or the fact that you can have your yard sprayed for them! They are a pain down here. I hope the med works well for him and he feels better!

11. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions and support. We put dryer sheets under their sheets and the meds seem to be working he just has discolored spots on his skin now. The hive part has flattened out. Our ped said it could take until Monday to totally clear up. We also found kid friendly mosquito repellent for when he plays outside because I can't picture keeping him in long sleeve shirts and jeans when it is 90 degrees out.

12. becasquared

What mosquito repellent are you using? Royce got bit by something last night and his face turned splotchy purple with white centers. I'm thinking mosquito because he didn't cry and I didn't notice it happening in the trip up the stairs (inside the building). I had to take them to get Benedryl at 7:00 last night.

13. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

DH found it at Target and it's called All Terrain. It's all natural and geared for kids. It has been working great. I think www.drugstore.com had it as well when I was researching mosquito repellent for kids.

14. becasquared

Cool, I ended up having to take him to the urgent care the following day because they had swollen up to the size of golfballs (still swollen) and his poor forehead looked like Quasimodo's. So Claritin and Hydrocortisone cream forever and ever. Boooooooo.

15. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Sounds like we are in the same boat. We don't step outside to play without slathering on the mosquito spray. Almost all the spots from his hives are gone six days later. Hope your little one's clear up soon too.

P.S. The Off family spray works too and it doesn't have to be rubbed in. Much easier when you have two anxious toddlers wanting to go outside to play.

16. becasquared

I got two of the bracelets and put them on their ankles last night before we went to fireworks and it worked amazingly. Not one bite on either of them. :)

Hope there's no scarring for either boy!

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

dryer sheets also work wonders for wasps...my IL's have a wooden swingset with wood mulch underneath and it attracts wasps in swarms - my MIL will take about 10 dryer sheets and put them around the swingset held down by rocks and will then put one in our pockets and the kids pockets and it keeps the wasps away...