My Tot Clock vs. GoodNite Light?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Apr 26, 2010.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I'm desperately in need of purchasing one of these 2 clocks. If you have one, tell me which you like better and why! I'd love to hear first-hand stories. :)

My Tot Clock

Good Nite Light

2. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Someone else posted this a while back & I wrote my spiel on the Tot Clock. We LOVE it. I've recommended it to EVERYONE that we know. We got it when the boys were 2y5m & they had it totally down within a month. We initially did a sticker chart to reward them for following it, which they caught on to quite easily.

Ever since they've understood the concept, they have NOT gotten out of bed before the clock turned yellow. It's been GREAT! I've heard them over the monitor discussing the clock still being blue & having to wait til it's yellow. At bedtime, they're adamant that the clock is blue before they fall asleep :). We also use the naptime one & I know, for sure, that it's kept them in bed on many occasions. I'm one of the lucky few, I guess, who have never had their kids climb out of bed when they shouldn't because we had the Tot Clock before we transitioned them to toddler beds.

My only cons are that it sometimes goes wonky, but I've figured out all the quirks now. I emailed Customer Service a lot & they always write back quickly. I also don't like that it has to play 30 mins of music before going to white noise, so we've never used the white noise function (which was one of my selling features initially).

Pros, however, are endless. It can travel with us (and it has...if you turn it off during the day, just leaving it on during nap/bedtime, the batteries have easily worked a full week...and you don't have to reset it!), plus it also can plug in at home. It can play lullabies, tell stories, & wake the boys with a song (which we also have not used...why WAKE them :)???). It has a NAPtime feature (which the Goodnite Lite does not), as well as time out & encouragement. We have not used the red/green (time out/encouragement) features, but we probably will in the future. It has interchangable face plates & cartridges, although we've never needed any of those.

So, even though it has features we've never used, it has features that the other clock does not have that we use almost daily (ie naptime, travel ability, music, etc). While I've never even seen a Goodnite Lite outside of the internet link, we LOVE our Tot Clock and DEFINITELY say it's worth the price!!!!!

Good luck with your decision!

3. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We have a different one: Teach Me Time. They enjoy the clock learning game and being able to have the current time recited by hitting a button. However, the color change feature did NOTHING to encourage them to sleep until it was time to get up. Honestly, I wouldn't buy it again. I'd get them a regular, child-friendly clock that hangs on the wall since it took them all of one day to learn how to tell time by the hour. And no, that doesn't keep them in bed either.

4. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I was the one who posted about this most recently, I think. I ended up getting the Good Nite Lite because it was immediately available (others said the other one was backordered 6 weeks or more). I like it except that I thought it would have a nap feature. It doesn't. You can only set it for one time for the moon to come on and one time for the sun to come on. I think the Tot Clock has a nap feature as well.

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We have the Teach Me Time clock as well. It's worked fine for us. They may still wake up sort of early, but they know to stay quietly in their beds until the light turns green. I like that it showed the time as well as changed color.

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

We love the GoodNiteLite, SIMPLE and EASY to use. No extra stuff to think about etc. Just a moon and a sun. That's it. All you need! YAY!

7. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

We also have the Teach Me Time clock. It's worked great for us for wake ups, but I do find it annoying that I have to re-set it if we want to use it for naps and then re-set it again at bed time. If I was buying again, I think I would go for the Tot Clock with the nap and other timer options.

8. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We have this same clock, and I wouldn't recommend it either. The color change isn't obvious enough to keep my girls in bed. They do love pushing the button to hear the time, but this was pretty much a waste of money.

9. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

I have the My Tot Clock, and I LOVE it. My boys "got it" within a week at 22 months old. Like a pp, I sometimes have had little quirks with it, but they were easily fixable. I love the white noise that plays all night and the naptime feature. Worth every penny and the wait for the shipping. My boys were sleeping 7:30-4:30ish, now 8:00-6:00. I occasionally hear them wake 5 minutes early and hear this: "Clock blue, night-night time" then when it turns yellow: "clock no blue, get up".

10. nurseandrea02

Tot Clock, Tot Clock :)!

Mine have definitely been heard commenting how the clock wasn't yellow yet, thus staying in bed.

While it didn't MAKE my kids sleep later, it does keep them in bed. I shouldn't say that. Our 4-5am wake ups were better controlled after we first got it. But they came back a few weeks ago. They'd still wake, but they'd wait in bed til the clock was yellow. We had to adjust their bedtime to get them back to their original wake times.

What's going on at your house that you're looking for the clock???

11. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone! Based on your responses, I am thinking My Tot Clock... but now I see what you are talking about: My Tot Clock is not available... what to do? What to do? *sigh*

12. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

These are so cute! FWIW, I got my DS a plain old digital clock for his third birthday and told him not to get up until the first number said 6. We did a sticker chart to support this, and he learned it very quickly. Just a budget alternative :)

13. nurseandrea02

Oh no! Out of stock? Have you emailed the company to ask what the wait is? Depending upon the time frame & the sleep issues you're having, it might be worth the wait!

14. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

PLEASE….Let me know if you find it, because of this post… I am all on board for a tot clock and I see it no wear… I guess in the mean time I will have to set small lamp that holds a night light light bulb and set it w/ a digital timer that can do bed time and nap time then hope… “Don’t call mommy until the light turns on” works ;) … BUT I want other features from the tot clock as well…

Elizabeth

15. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

this got me interested in the Tot Clock too!

I saw on Amazon there's a cute monkey oneBabyZoo Monkey

but it doesn't look like it has any feature except the monkey's eyes open (close - when you close them)...

I love all the features of the Tot Clock... guess I'll be scoping out for one too. Mine are starting to resist going to sleep ... and this might be of help.

16. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

I just looked on their website and signed up to be notified when they become available. It said July 2010! =)
    * and it said something about 20% off

17. nurseandrea02

I just got my One Step Ahead magazine & it has a similar clock in it that has nap/bedtime features. Here's the link. Maybe something like this would work??