My twins are like Rhodesian Ridgebacks! is there a better way to say that?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by genagoodrow, Nov 28, 2012.

1. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

My girls are almost 5 and it's been a long haul. They're cute and sometimes sweet and often breathtakingly smart. But they're energetic. The positive side is that they are strong and will hike 5 miles with me and want to go for more, bike mile after mile. The flip side is that if they're not physically tired they are insane.

It's been a tough three days. Sunday, we had to carry our younger girl from the dining table to bed literally kicking and screaming. Monday our older twin fought about going to school. I'm a big, strong woman. But without my husband there (and he isn't every morning) I could not have gotten her dressed and in the car. One parent had to hold her while the other put clothes on and buckled the seat belt. Last night was the worst. Our younger DD cried, screamed, keened for 3!!! hours. She was out of her mind. In these episodes there is no reaching our girls. They are totally beyond reach of words or kindness. Time is all that works for us. let the tantrum run it's course. And they are hard to predict or avoid.

We're recovering from colds, so I didn't want to push them. And I'm trying to let it go, do my best, and see the positive. My girls are smart and physical. But they need LOTS of activity to put energy into or it becomes destructive. Is there a name for this kind of kid? I'd like to do some reading on it, and try to get some ideas and strategies.

Thanks!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Let me know what you find out. My son has in the past week torn down the bracket for his curtains- due to swinging on them and tearing them down repeatedly. He just now tore down his sister's closet door- we've already taken his down but usually her room has a door knob cover on it.

Sigh. I'm about to take them on a 2 mile walk to hopefully walk away some of their energy.

3. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My boy is the same way. He has endless source of energy. He can walk for 2 mile at 2.5 yrs old now, jumps up and down like a monkey, talks non stop. He sweet talks. But he can talk until I have mental breakdown
    Since they started their gymnastic class, he got better. They will be in soccer team in jan. so I know that will help quite a lot. You can check out local YMCA, u can put them in gymnastic, soccer, taekwondo, swimming,dancing,.. Personally, I would introduce all the sports to them see what they are interested and go from there. U also can find some fast food places with soft play areas, or magic caslte, children's museums with spider net play areas. I put my kids into a lot of activities so they burn out all their energy and pass out lol. Our schedule is very busy. But in return, I have 2 well behaving kids (80% of the time).

At home, you can assign some chores to them. They will love it. They won't do the best jobs, but they'll learn. That's a good way to burn energy as well. However, it takes time to create this habit. Gl

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

No advice, just laughing heartily at your title: My twins are like Rhodesian Ridgebacks! is there a better way to say that?

:rotflmbo:

6. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

I've checked out the "Spirited Child" book and didn't much like it. It's like too many other parenting books. Long on description and short on suggestion. And didn't quite seems right on to me. But maybe for others.

w101ttd, your plan sounds right on! I think that's our solution too. Lots of activities, and find out what sport / activity is right for them. I've got some ideas. But the correlation of physically tired = calm, happy child was an epiphany to me. Yes, I can find activities, and this can be good for all of us!

:banana: :banana: :clapping: (My little emoticon family)

7. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the high energy thing.. Though my ds Is heading that way with regard to high energy... Have you read love and logic?

8. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Sorry the book wasn't helpful for you :( Good luck! I'll probably come back to you in a year or two for advice, Chana'le is super high energy too.