Name questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Ali M, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is but picking a name for this boy is much harder than choosing names for our two girls. With the girls, we were done in an afternoon. Here we are at 27 weeks with this boy and we haven't even narrowed down the list. [​IMG] I'm fine with arriving at the hospital empty-handed and choosing after he is born but Paul (and MIL) both would like to have him named a little sooner than that. [​IMG]

Below are some of the names that are on our list. Please share your opinions on what you think when you hear the name or if you met someone with that name. I'm not attached to any of them so feel free to pick your favorites or tell us why you don't like others. Thanks ahead of time for your help. As the parents, it's sometimes hard to see the names as a stranger would so some unbiased opinions would be nice.

Garrick
    Ryker
    Fox
    Liam
    Marcus
    Sladen
    Crae/Cray
    Ranger
    Oakes
    Hawk

2. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is but picking a name for this boy is much harder than choosing names for our two girls. With the girls, we were done in an afternoon. Here we are at 27 weeks with this boy and we haven't even narrowed down the list. [​IMG] I'm fine with arriving at the hospital empty-handed and choosing after he is born but Paul (and MIL) both would like to have him named a little sooner than that. [​IMG]

Below are some of the names that are on our list. Please share your opinions on what you think when you hear the name or if you met someone with that name. I'm not attached to any of them so feel free to pick your favorites or tell us why you don't like others. Thanks ahead of time for your help. As the parents, it's sometimes hard to see the names as a stranger would so some unbiased opinions would be nice.

Garrick
    Ryker
    Fox
    Liam
    Marcus
    Sladen
    Crae/Cray
    Ranger
    Oakes
    Hawk

3. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you ... to be fair, we are being surprised on the sexes of these babies, but we have nothing narrowed down ... I have a list of about 6 girl and 7 boy names in the hospital bag ready to go!

Anyways ...

I really like Sladen, Garrick, and Liam the best ... they sound like strong names for handsome boys. [​IMG] They are unusual but aren't too out there.

I'm not too fond of Fox, Hawk, Oakes, or Ranger ... they sound more like nicknames than actual first names. I think they would make awesome middle names, but I'm not too sure about a first name for those. One of our middle names is definitely Maverick ... not something we would use for a first name, but it has meaning for us and I think it's a neat middle name.

Sladen Fox is a great name!!! That's my vote.

4. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

I like Garrick the best...or Liam.

5. TwinMama6

TwinMama6 Well-Known Member

I like LIAM best from your list but my favorite boys name right now is ASHTON BRENTLY or RHYLAN FINNLEY !!!
    I also like Aiden with Becker,Frasier or Porter as MN.......

6. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

I am with you on this one. I am married to a Greek and the family names are just awfull. I am still fighting to prevent any of my girls being called Maria. But we eventually settled on each of us choosing a name. I like LAIM. But i think it is what will suit the baby when s/he is born and of course a name that will not get a lot of teasing at school. It is really difficult.

7. Soon-2-BMomof3

Soon-2-BMomof3 Well-Known Member

Maybe I am the only one, but I really like Fox! I like Liam too, but it is pretty common now. Good luck! Boy names are always harder for me to come up with. When i found out these were both boys the only name we had decided on was a girl name so we had to go back to the drawing boards. [​IMG]

8. cnasmom

cnasmom Well-Known Member

I like Ryker, Cray and Hawk, but this is coming from someone who wanted to name her boys River and Forrest. I was more than out voted on those so we ended up with a Evan and Noah.

9. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like Marcus or Liam.

We don't have names yet decided. With the twins, we decided after they were born. We were surprised by the sex last time and will be again this time.

10. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Garrick- Real harsh sounding
    Ryker- Much prefer Ryder
    Fox- word names are not my favorite
    Liam- I really like it
    Marcus- [​IMG]
    Sladen- see Garrick
    Crae/Cray- seems unfinished like it should be a nn
    Ranger- see fox
    Oakes- prefer Oakley
    Hawk- see fox

11. Tina Ross

Tina Ross Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Marcus or Sladen..I like both, but for some reason I really like Sladen..We just picked our names.But I have the oppisite problem, I coulnt think of any girl names but came up with the boys name with in hours..But anyway they are Dylan Connor & Klyie Paige...

12. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

I love the names Liam and Marcus!
    Good luck making up your mind.

13. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

I am COMPLETELY biased because my 3 year old is named Liam! But, I can tell you some good (unbiased!) things about the name, too...

First of all, his real name is William (after Grandpa) and we call him Liam for short. Many people do not realize that Liam is short for William in Ireland, for instance. So, if you have a William in your family, you can name him that and shorten it to Liam. You've killed two birds with one stone - honoured your family's heritage and picked a cool nick-name.

Secondly, you don't hear of that many Liam's on the playground. I know that could be changing, but I like that Liam is still pretty exclusive, at least in the US (not across the pond, though!)

Third - people always comment on how much they love the name. Not that that should be a deciding factor, but it is nice to hear! ;-)

The only thing you may run into at times is that some people can't pronouce it. We've had Illiam, Laim, whatever! I actually think it's kinda funny, though!

As far as picking out a name - I am a FIRM believer that you have to MEET the baby first, before you can make that life decision. We settled on about three names before we had Liam - and when we looked at him, we decided he was a Liam. We had also picked out Finn and Sam - and he just didn't look like either of those. So - tell the MIL to calm down. It's your decision, not her's.

Second choices - Marcus or Garrick.

Good luck!

14. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't care for any of them [​IMG]. As someone else mentioned, several seem more like nicknames.

If I had to pick I'd go with Liam or Marc.

15. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

I like Liam

16. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

I like Marcus - probably because that is DH's name!!! [​IMG]

17. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member

Garrick- prefer Garrett
    Ryker- prefer Ryder
    Fox- I like it, but I dont think i'd be brave enough to use it LOL
    Liam- Kinda like it
    Marcus- No sorry remainds me of a really weird kid from school
    Sladen- LOVE!!
    Crae/Cray- Really like it!
    Ranger- LOVE!!
    Oakes- I like Oakley/Oakleigh (Oaks as a NN?)
    Hawk- Not really

18. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I love them all (except Marcus - that one is not my favorite!)

We are in the opposite boat! I feel like I could name 25 boys
    but I am having a hard time with these girls!!

19. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

It is funny because when my hubby and I were picking names we had the boys name picked out in a second. The girls name was more difficult. Plus everyone in the family always has an opinion.

As for your names, I really like Liam & Marcus.
    It is your choice...once you pick the names everyone will love them. Sometimes people wait till they see the baby. Just in case the baby looks more like one name than the other.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose.

My baby girl is Gabrielle & my baby boy is Chase.

20. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

Garrick- it is okay but I prefer Garrett
    Ryker- don't like it
    Fox- I think he would get teased
    Liam- not my favorite but I like it
    Marcus- known too many mean boys with this name
    Sladen- I kind of like this one
    Crae/Cray- don't like it
    Ranger- sounds like a dogs name
    Oakes- don't like it
    Hawk- don't like this one either

I hope you are able to find a name you both love. Before we knew the sex of our twins we had a really hard time coming up with boys names, the girls were easy. If I were to have a son I would name him Blake Allen.

21. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Love Liam, It was one of my names but dh didn't like it. You would think that with 4 boys I would have gotten it in once!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

22. kaim

kaim Well-Known Member

I really like the name Fox. I also like Liam alot too. I'm not sure if I would go with Sladen or not....I like it but the first initials of your children would spell A$$. Maybe no one else looks for that but that it came to my mind right away. Sorry.
    Kaimee
    proud mama to Ashley & Shelby ID girls 3 years old

23. 5andtwins

5andtwins Well-Known Member

I like Sladen, then Liam, then Garrick.

24. Dr. Menna

Dr. Menna Well-Known Member

Hello,

I can't recommend any of the above names as I dont know how they sound at your place, but I'll give you a short list of the best names in arabic and their meanings if you like foreign names : )

* Boys' names:

- Noor: light
    - Adam
    - Ayman: blessed
    - Hamzah: one of the lions' names (one of my babies' names)
    - Fahd: puma
    - Eissa: Jesus
    - Hossam: sword
    - Sherif: honest

* Girls' names:

- Menna: a gift Mennat-Allah (a gift from Allah-God, it's my name)
    - Hala: delicous
    - Hana: joy
    - Jameela: beautiful
    - Janna: paradis
    - Zahra: flower
    - Jood: a mountain called Jood
    - Juhayna: a mountain also
    - Habiba: beloved, lovely
    - Haneen: nostalgia
    - Rola
    - Sedra: a tree in paradis
    - Tasneem: a river in paradis
    - Mariam: Mary
    - Nadeen: a flower
    - Dalia: a flower
    - Maya

That's for now, there's more if anyone is interested [​IMG]

~Menna~

25. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Ali,
    I think names should have important meaning to the person choosing them, so what other's think doesn't matter. You should think about when your son is a little bit older and he asks you why you chose that name, what will you say?

But since you asked. [​IMG]

Garrick, I like this one best, but I do like Garret better.
    Ryker, isn't that a brand of trucks or something?
    Fox, Like the X president of Mexico?
    Liam, this name has gotten WAY too popular.
    Marcus, Classic, depends on what the middle name will be, Aurelius?
    Sladen, ewww, sounds like a heavy metal group
    Crae/Cray, okay, if it means something special
    Ranger, That's a job, and also a truck, not a person.
    Oakes, what is the e there for, Oaks, but sounds like a nickname or last name to me.
    Hawk, also sounds like a nickname, and very hippyish, but I like this much better than Ryker, Fox, Sladen, or Ranger

But like I said, it's what it means to you, I so wanted to have a boy to name Drex, because that was my beloved grandfather's name, and I would like nothing more than to have a special reminder of that wonderful man.

26. rtmommie

rtmommie Well-Known Member

Vann??