Nap in same room

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Dean, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Dean

Dean Member

Hi everyone,

My twins always sleep in the same room at night but for their naps, we always put them in separate rooms because they seem to want to play and not sleep during nap time. At night, they go right to sleep. They are almost 18 months old and I'm trying to put them down for their nap in the same room but all they want to do is play. i wonder if the novelty of napping together will wear off and they will begin to sleep or will they always think of it as play time. I wonder if we should have tried this earlier and now so much time has passed that they won't nap in the same room.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you don't *need* to put them in the same room I would stick with separate.

That being said, with some patience & consistency you should be able to get them to nap together. Depending on how they react to your presence in the room you could try sitting in there & simply putting them back to bed/laying them back down every time they stand up or start goofing around. You may need to do that for some time before they figure out the new routine. You could also try hanging a sheet between their cribs or beds so that they can't see each other. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

^^ I agree with Rachel :)

I never split mine up for any sleeping, and they still play at night when it's bedtime. Just be consistent with whatever you decide to do.

4. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My boys are 21 months...they have always shared the same room but had their own cribs since they were 3 months old. This past month...they have started screwing around and not napping well if at all.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Our boys will be 3 in a couple of months. When they were really little (about 6 months to 1 year) we would nap them in separate rooms but they would sleep in the same room at night (separate cribs). We napped them in separate rooms because they were such horrible nappers when little, like 30-45 minute naps 3 or 4 times a day. I just didn't want to risk one crying and waking the other given how short their naps were. However, around 12-15 months (can't remember exactly) we started putting them together in the nursery to nap too, and they did fine for the most part. To this day sometimes one will take a lot longer to fall asleep and he'll jabber, kick his legs, sometimes cry, etc, but they are so used to sleeping in the same room that they are pros at ignoring the other one when they want to sleep. And even at nearly 3 years old they still nap consistently for about 90 min, if not 2 hours. Good luck in whatever you decide. And like PPs said, consistency is key.