Nap transitions. Ugh.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Jan 25, 2013.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I really strongly dislike nap transitions! Emmett's just starting to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap & while I look forward to the freedom 1 nap a day will provide us as a family, the process of getting there is not my favorite. I hate not knowing when or for how long he's going to sleep, I hate trying to guess if we should try for 2 or just do 1. I hate having to rush through dinner because Emmett's suddenly falling asleep in his food. ;) I hate having an overtired baby because I guessed wrong. Oh well. We'll get there. In the mean time, I'm just feeling ornery about it.

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I am right where you are. Our daughter is 16 months and I've tried taking out the morning nap, but then she seems to get overtired and gets really hyper and then she won't sleep as well at night. For now we are back to 2 a day. I agree that you seem to have so much more freedom when you only have to work around 1 nap a day. Hopefully in a couple months it changes.

3. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Yeah, i can see it coming. <_< We are holding our own for now but the first nap has really gotten rocky. I have decided to hang on to that first nap for as long as possible.

What are the chances that my LOs, who have been late on every sleep transition, are suddenly going to be early for the transition to one nap? So in spite of all the clues they are giving that they are ready for one nap.. i am sticking with two.. for now.
    I will be interested to hear how it goes for you all or any tips you find that make it easier.

4. KarenPinRo

KarenPinRo New Member

My babies are 17 months and they still take two naps a day most days. They usually nap around 10:30am and 3pm. I have been talking about trying to switch them to just one nap, but they really like that morning nap. When it gets to be around 10:30am and I say "Are you ready for a nap" my son will walk right over to the stairs to head up to his crib. I typically still get about an hour to an hour and a half in the morning and around the same in the afternoon. I think we are going to wait until Spring/Summer and try to have the morning be our outside time, and use that as our transition. I always dread the transitions because there is so much unknown and we get used to our routines.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My littlest one is mid-switch too. Some days he takes one nap, some days he takes two. I feel your pain!!