Napping an overtired baby

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by miss_bossy18, Jun 2, 2012.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How do you get your overtired baby(ies) to nap? Any tried & true tricks?

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Singing and bouncing. Not a big bounce, just fairly quick, tiny movement that's easier done when you're standing.

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Swing and/or waiting. :( We have this problem every day. It seems Josh has about a two minute window between good to go and SUPER EXTRA TIRED. Sometimes I break down and put him in the swing, but I am trying really hard not to. Honestly, we just let him CIO now. If we are out and about, he seems happy to be held if I can't get him to fall asleep.

4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

On tummy (usually our bed at that age) firm patting on back (or bottom) while shushing, all rhythmic and Do Not Stop....

If tummy is not for you, then try a firm hold cuddling into you, one hand on the back of head while the other pats and again Do Not Stop.. Then you can transfer to crib once he's calmed down/is asleep...

Even though I am an advocate for CIO, sometimes there is a point where you know that this overtired is different - I know that serious overtired crying which is not going to ease unless I help them to go to sleep and it is usually from an an out of ordinary day (like today! [​IMG])

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Baby-wearing. If one was overtired I would put that baby into the wrap and walk it to sleep AND let it take a proper nap in the wrap, not trying to move the baby into the crib once asleep (and risk waking it) so it can catch up on sleep. Then the next nap can be in the regular routine and place again.
    Like PP I also let mine nap on their tummy if I knew I could stay with them and watch them, never at night. We got much better naps on the tummy than on the back.

6. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

my DS always needs help to nap and when we cant get him down easily he can get super fussy and start crying really bad. We end up using as many of the 5 S's as needed. I can put him stomach down on my legs and rock him. He always needs white noise, usually a pacifer. Our last resort when nothing else works is to turn on a vacuum cleaner will make him stop crying and usually help him fall asleep.