Napping dilemma

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by waitingfortwins, Nov 17, 2013.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

My 10 month old twins have recently changed their night sleeping patterns . DS is now STTN and DD is waking up only once.
    They are still taking three naps a day and am wondering if they should move on to two? But I'm finding DD is sleeping a bigger morning nap ( 1.5 to 2 hrs) while DS is only doing one hour. So I can do a two nap for DD but not for DS.
    Or should I still keep both on the same schedule? Still do three or opt for two ?

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's really up to you whether you want them off schedule or not.  I let mine get off schedule when DS first started sleeping longer stretches at night.  For me, it was a nightmare.  I had no downtime.  Their eating was off schedule, their naps were off schedule, and I was a wreck by the end of the 24 hrs.  I quickly got them back on schedule, even if it meant waking 1 baby up.

I think mine were closer to 12 months when they shifted to 2 naps during the day.  I waited until they both seemed ready for 2 naps before transitioning them both.  Even to this day, DS needs more sleep than DD does.  She'll fall asleep faster at night, but wake earlier in the morning.  Most mornings she wakes him up.  He could use the extra 15-30 minutes if she'd let him sleep ;)

3. waitingfortwins

Thanks Danni
    Maybe DD is going thru some spurt bc I figured since she woke at 1046 this am I would've put her down around 130 but she was yawning by 1245 so I put both of them down. I'm not sure if DS is a bit overtired bc he whines and shrieks when he sees his sleep sack which means nap. He is teething though and even though he's not symptomatic this shrieks business is new

4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I did my best to keep them on the same schedule.  like Danni said the lack of down time was really rough on me.  I tried to wait until DS (always the last to transition) was ready before decreasing their naps.  I did have few days during each transition where I would put DS down on a different schedule to get him an extra nap.  I would do that for one day to 'reboot' him, then back to the same schedule.

And yes, sometimes, when they are teething, even though it seems like they are getting the same amount of sleep time they are tired.  I think it is just not the same quality of sleep. I don't hesitate to give them ibuprofen or Tylenol if i think it is teeth. My LOs were so sensitive to sleep disruption we could quickly hit a downward spiral that would last days after the teeth were no longer a problem.

5. waitingfortwins

Thanks daisies. Surprisingly DS hadn't had any disrupted night sleep bc of teething. He dropped his midnight bottle and started STTN about a week ago.
    Anyways I did put them down for their third nap and whadda ya know DS had a crying fit for20 min before sleeping. Am I to assume overtired? Not tired? Teething but fine at night?
    Their last nap is late 430 till about 5 and then they wake up shrieking and crying. Bedtime bottle is 645 and crib at 7 and this last nap isn't interfering with bedtime.... Yet.
    This whole nap transitions is soo confusing simply bc I don't always read their sleep cues I go more on awake times.