Napping Problems after Switching to Toddler Beds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ladybutterflyrose, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Hi,

I believe it was Thursday that we started using toddler beds. Nighttime is going okay. They play for a while and then go to sleep. They do this during the day too, but only fall sleep 50% of the time. They play for 1-2 hours! So, like today, my DS is screaming non-stop b/c he's overtired and probably overstimulated (it's happening right now) [​IMG] . If this continues, I'm going to separate them into two different bedrooms to see if this helps, but I'd like to give it at least a week. We do remind them several times that it's time for sleep and play lullabye music. We also put a gate up, so they cannot leave the room. Any suggestions would really be appreciated :).

2. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

What I did after we switched to toddler beds was to sit in the room with them. That stopped them from talking or playing and they would fall asleep in a normal amount of time. Over about a week I moved the place where I was sitting closer to the door until I was sitting in the doorway. Then I spent another week or two standing just outside the door (and if I heard any noise going in and shushing them). After that I could just leave them and they would go to sleep with no trouble. There were still occasional times they'd mess around, but I would only have to remind them once to go to sleep.

Good Luck!

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

wow, that's a great tactical plan! what age were your twins when you did this process?

I have nothing to add... am hoping for years of crib sleeping! ha ha!

4. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I dont think I have any good advice as I have not BTDT, but what if you put one to bed and then the other? Will they go to sleep alone? Do you think the 2nd one would wake the first if you did it that way?
    Also, what made you guys to decide to switch to toddler beds? We've been discussing the move a lot in our house. Our DD is definitely ready but we aren't sure about DS and are afraid we may have exactly the situation you are describing with all the playing!

5. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ours can climb out of their cribs..so we are working on curbing the craziness. At night turning off the lights seem to help, with nap, i'm happy to let them play, but J doesn't really go down and he keeps B up! He probably doesn't need a nap, but she does.

It's just another transition...

One thing you can do, since they don't leave their room, is if they miss nap, put them down early at night until the novelty wears off and they start napping again.

6. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Miriam, they definitely go down an hour early if they miss their naps. Nights seem to go well here too. Yep, it's just another transition. Thanks everyone!

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Alyssa and Bryony were just over two, Naomi and Luke were 2 1/2. It worked really well for me. The key thing is not to talk to/engage with them. I started off sitting between the beds where they could both clearly see me, if they started talking or went to get up I'd tell them "No talking/Lie down. It's bedtime." in a firm tone but say nothing else. Some people have said to me that it seems like a lot of hassle but I always felt it was worth spending the 10-15 minutes (of waiting while they fell asleep) to get the 1 1/2-2 hour nap.