napping questions

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Feb 19, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LO's pretty much follow the 2-3-4 schedule.
    one of my LO's isn't interested in taking his morning nap so much. is it possible they are ready for just 1 nap?
    when do they drop to just one?

2. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

It seems really early to drop to one nap. The average age to drop to one nap is 15-18 months. Mine are 13 months and still taking 2 naps. How long has the nap boycott been going on? Sometimes they do have periods where they don't want to nap and then it will go back to normal. You could also try increasing or decreasing wake time. Mine were on the 2-3-4 schedule for quite awhile, but now they need about 3 hours of wake time before the first nap. They just won't go down before then, or if they do go down, they will only nap for 45 minutes. Mine are older than yours though, so this may not apply to you.

3. cec02c

cec02c Well-Known Member

Is it your sick one? I went through the same problem about three weeks ago. My DS had had a cold. He was fight sleep. I thought he must be transitioning to one nap a day. Turns out he had a NASTY ear infection. The DR. said his bronchiolitis and congestion had created the ear infection. He had not been pulling at his ear or running a fever so we had no idea. He just wasn't sleeping. Might be something to rule out.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

All of mine went through several boughts of boycotting naps. I always just continued to put them down at the same times and get them up at the same times. If they slept great, if not, oh well. They always went back to napping like normal. The earliest any of mine dropped to one nap was 13 mos, the oldest was 18 mos.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine just now at nearly a year will sometimes only take one nap, and that's usually only if we are out and about and they miss their normal first nap time, they'll fall asleep halfway to the next nap and end up with just one nap that day.

I think it's much much too early for one nap, and they are probably just boycotting/sick/teething etc. Keep putting them down and they'll go back to sleeping for you eventually I'm sure.