Napping schedules

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Alaskangirls, May 11, 2009.

1. Alaskangirls

Alaskangirls Well-Known Member

Ok so this isn't my first ride around the mary go round BUT what is your schedule like....................I know children need sleep yes, and healthy sleeping habits make healthy babies.

So.....how many naps do your kiddos take and when through out the day.

I have read alot of posts that state kiddos bed times to be 5:30-6 Really? If this is you, how and why so early? That just seems like that is not our house.:) Anywho just wondering and trying to get more info to help create a schedule our family can live with as the summer approaches and school is soon to be out. 6 days and counting. Thanks for any and all insight.

Best wishes

2. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Elliot sleeps from 7pm- 7 am and naps from 12.30 for 1 half to 2 half hours. Very consistent.
    Max sleeps from 7 pm - 5.15 am(!) and has to have a morning nap at around 8.30 for 30 mins. Then he naps from 12.30/1 for around 1 half hours. Can't seem to get him out of this habbit and transition to one nap. Still working on it!

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

How old are your LOs?

My girls go to bed at 715 and sleep until 630-730am. They go down for their nap at 1230 and sleep anywhere from 1.5-3hrs depending on how tired they are and what we did all morning. :D

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

How old are you toddlers?

When mine were taking 2 naps they napped at about 9:30 and 1 for at least an hour and a half and went to bed at 7. They transitioned to one nap at 14 months and slept from 1-3 and still went to bed at 7.

5. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Mine love to sleep! They get put down for the night at 7pm, wake around 7am, & take 2 naps from 10am-Noon 2-4pm. I don't see us needing to transition to 1 nap anytime soon.

6. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

We are still taking 2 naps so DD sleeps 730pm to 6am and first nap 830 to 1000 and 2nd nap 130 to 300 very consistent.
    DS sleeps 730 to between 5 and 530:( Naps from 830 to 930:( and 130 to 230:(
    We are working on this, he used to be as consistent as his sister about naps but never about the wake up time:(

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are still on two naps, mine have not made the transition yet. Right now they sleep from 7:30 to 7:30. There is no way mine would go to bed any earlier then that, we've tried and they just don't go for it (I wish they would though!). They nap in the AM from 10-11:30 and 2-4 in the afternoon.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How old are your twins?

Mine are 18 months old and I put them down for the night between 6:30 and 7:30, depending on how well they napped that day. They wake up between 6:30 and 7:30. They take 1 nap which is a mess right now and I'm still trying to figure out so I won't answer that part!

9. Alaskangirls

Sorry my ticker didn't work? But the girls are about 11 months and have been odd nappers, more like cat nappers with our goofy schedule of school drop off and pick up. Thanks for all the insight.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At 11-12 months mine were still taking three naps a day, morning (9ish), afternoon (1ish), and late afternoon cat-nap (4ish), and went to bed between 7 and 8pm. Mine have never gone to bed earlier than 7am... that just makes them wake up WAAAAAY too early. Now at over 2, they go to bed between 8 and 8:30 and sleep until between 7 and 8 am.

11. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

At 11 months they were still taking 3-4 naps a day. It was about every 2-2.5 hours after the previous nap they would begin getting tired again. Bedtime at that age was around 9 PM for us.

Katie was only getting in about 2-3 naps at that age because the boys kept her up and busy all the time, LOL

12. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

At 11 months they slept from 7pm-6am. 1st nap at 9:30 for about 1.5hrs. 2nd nap at 2:00 for 1.5hrs.

At 18 months we are still doing 2 naps but I think we are transitioning soon. They sleep 8-7am. Nap at 10am and then again at 2:30.

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

Since at least 11 months and still now at over 12 months:

Bedtime is close to 7:30p and they usually sleep until 7a or 7:30a.
    Usually 2 2hour naps. In crib for a good 30 min. before they start sleeping.
    Morning nap - in crib at 9:30a wake up around 11:45 or noon.
    Afternoon nap - in crib by 2:30p and wake around or after 5pm.

If one doesn't start their nap... like if they drop their paci... and I finally go in 45 min. later to give it back they will tend to sleep an extra 30 min... so it seems they need their 2 hours of naps... and aren't disturbed by other noises...

Since we're getting good naps and night time sleep I don't think we'll try to transition to one nap yet.

14. Alaskangirls

So yah well I just smile and shake my head after this day. The girls.... and I are crummy nappers

up at 4:30am - and in bed with mom
    7 - up
    brkft and little bro off to school
    back home at
    9:30 - BF and sleeping, ok Until I move -
    attempted to lay them down, failed, let them CIO 1/2 hour FAIL
    11:00-entertain and play rock cranky tired babies
    12 - lunch - BF - Tired babies
    1:00 - off to get brother grr girls stayed awake not cat nap in car
    2:00- home BF girls sleeping, lay down and crying kiddos again

OMG shoot me now, Rox would of slept iF Z would of given it up
    horrible afternoon - gave into the drama and went to the grandparents - Girls slept in car 45 min

home at 7 and Rox in out and in bed by 8 Z little stinker couldn't get her down until 8:30

and here we are. I think Maybe I am forcing it too much I don't know. A little back ground to all my grief with naps comes to the fact that I am a single mom with three kiddos for three weeks out of a month. And all my control ove everything has no bearing on getting this girls to take naps at a consistent ration through out the week. I no no...............................................Thanks for reading

15. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are having a rough time! Single mom, 3 kids, Good for you for making it through the day!!

At 11months old my babies were up around 6-7am, then they napped at 930am and 130pm, (each nap was anywhere form 1-2hrs) and then they went to bed at 530pm everynight (only just in the last month or so have I let them start staying up to 6pm!).
    But, I do have to say that I did CIO when they were much younger for naps and bedtime. Now, just because I say they went down for a nap at 930am and 130pm don't assume that they always slept!! Sometimes they would fuss/talk and even cry a little, but I always left them to try and sleep for 1 hr, if they were still awake at that time then I let them get up.

I do a routine everynight, supper, baths, pjs and lotion, book, milk, brush teeth, sleep sack on and to bed with their blankies. And, then I leave the room (most nights they do to sleep without much noise but occasionally they protest abit, but usually it doesn't last more then a few minutes).

I believe I only have this routine because I did CIO (I know this isn't for everyone, but it is what worked for us) and let the kids know that regardless of whether they slept, they were going to have quiet time in their room. I think it was around 11-12 months that I started putting a few safe toys in their crib, that way if they didn't sleep then they had something to play with.

Good luck - I hope things turned around soon!