nasal congestion

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by flopsy, Jun 13, 2007.

1. flopsy

flopsy Member

My girls have had nasal congestion for about a month or more now. We went to the doctor last week for their 4 month check up and shots. The doctor did not seem to think it was from a cold or reflux. He thinks they may have allergies. He said there really wasn't much to do for them. He said we could give them half of a triaminic thin strip decongestant. It really doesn't seem to give them any relief. It is worse at night. I guess because they are lying on their back. Any suggestions. I hate seeing my babies suffer every night.

2. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

Have you tries putting a couple drops of saline into their noses and then using an aspirator to suck the boogies out? The saline drops are just salt water so they are completely safe for the babies. This worked wonders for relieving DS's congestion when he had a cold at like 3 months or so. You may have to do it a couple times a day but it should give them atleast a little relief.

3. TwinNirvana

TwinNirvana Active Member

My son had a chronic stuffy nose for months. My ped said that it was probably due to a food allergy - they were too young for it to be hayfever - something that I was eating (they are breastfed). She had me first cut out dairy for a week - and that did the trick - his congestion cleared up. I have slowly been able to add dairy back into my diet - I had to hold off on drinking milk altogether - but can now drink 1 glass a day. The other common allergen is wheat. If yours are formula fed - you may have to switch formulas - otherwise experiment with your diet - that might do the trick! (Most babies grow out of that by 6 months or so )

4. schlengermom

schlengermom Well-Known Member

Try using a humidifier in their room at night, and also tilting the mattress on crib would be helpful. My girls slept in the bouncy seats for a couple of nights until this cleared up.

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to suggest the humidifier also.

If you put a pillow under one end of their mattress to elevate it that might help.

Not sure if these would help, but we have used the sudafed plug ins also.

6. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

Right now my girls are congested (as is everyone in the house!). I use saline nose drops and the nasal aspirator. You could try to put a regular pillow UNDER their mattress to elevate their heads. That worked with my son. And the humidifier. Just keep it clean, because the mold and mildew grows quick, and could make them worse.

7. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

Our pedi also suggested saline drops and using the aspirator. We also bought a cool air humidifier and I think it's really helped!
    I hope your little ones find some relief!