Nasal obstruction?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Dr. Menna, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Dr. Menna

Dr. Menna Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I started suffering with the nasal obstruction problem, I do have allergy and I used to take decongestant (although it's not recommended in preg), now, unfortunetly, I take more and more of any thing that let me breath, I'm really afraid of the side effects but I feel i'm choking and wake tens of times at night to put spray or gel into my nose so I can sleep for 30 mins then I wake up once again.

Am I the only one suffering? What do you do if you're experiencing the same problem?!

~Menna~
    20th week [​IMG]

2. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

My dd was stopped up the entire pregnancy! She sounded like she had a cold for 8 months. I've heard this is one of the "perks" of pregnancy!
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie and Nana to
    Cameron and Corey

3. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I experience(d) much of that. I know you're a doctor--do you not concur with other docs that Benadryl is safe in pregnancy? I took it over the summer and it helped a great deal. But also saline sprays.

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I had always been told that regular sudafed was ok to take. I had a lot of nasal congestion too when I was pregnant, but didn't really want to take the sudafed often. One thing I just read about in the PC was about "neti pots". I had never heard of it before and googled it. It sounds kinda weird, but people are swearing by it. It's basically just a saline mix/water that you have in a "pot" that you pour inside one of your nostils and let it run out the other. I think it would feel really weird, but like I said...people are swearing by it. Just a thought.

5. Dr. Menna

Benadryl! Would you please tell me the scientific name of it, as the name can differ from place to place but the scientific components is always the same.

It's very progressed to use saline sprays, as I'm allergic and saline would never help [​IMG]

Steph & Irish, thanks for replying.

~Menna~

6. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Have you tried doing a humidifier at night or doing breathe right strips? I have no idea if they would help, but those things are safe enough to try with kids who have breathing problems, so definitely wouldn't hurt to try (and you'd have a humidifier for when the babies arrive which is a must anyway).

Have you ever tried unisom sleeptab? The generic name is doxylamine succinate, which is a class A drug for pregnancy. It is sold as a sleep aid, but it is supposed to be like Benadryl (but that is a class B and my doctor will not allow it). If it didn't help with the nose, it might help with getting some rest at least. I love that stuff. I don't take it all the time, but if I notice several days of poor sleep or that "racing brain" near bedtime, it helps me sleep.

7. Marbear

benadryl- I think the generic is diphenhydramine. It is a class B drug. My peri says it is ok but the OB is more cautious. It was linked in one study to cleft palate, but then those results were not duplicated in other studies. I still stay away from it still because I try to stick with class A if I take anything.

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My allergies were so bad I was prescribe zyrtec during pregnancy(class b drug). I took it before the pregnancy and still take it now.

9. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

quote:
    I still stay away from it still because I try to stick with class A if I take

Sheesh, now I feel like a terrible mom. I have taken B and C drugs throughout pregnancy for bladder & sinus infections, pinched nerve in my back and other unexpected maladies that have occurred. My OB prescribed them so I felt safe. Even tylenol is class B and I never heard a single doc say anything but 'perfectly safe' about it. Oh well, one more thing to worry about. [​IMG]

10. Marbear

There is no reason to feel bad!!! Infections need to be treated! They can't just be ignored. That would be so bad for your baby just to ignore something like that. You are doing right! I am too lazy to get my pregnant butt to the medicine cabinet for anything but my prenatals...that doesn't make me pregnant mother of the year [​IMG] My husband has gone to get tums because he's sick of me writing in pain, but the tums are downstairs so I would rather suffer than waddle down there to get some.

11. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

quote:
    Sheesh, now I feel like a terrible mom. I have taken B and C drugs throughout pregnancy for bladder & sinus infections, pinched nerve in my back and other unexpected maladies that have occurred. My OB prescribed them so I felt safe. Even tylenol is class B and I never heard a single doc say anything but 'perfectly safe' about it. Oh well, one more thing to worry about

If you go to safefetus.com, most of the lower classes of drugs are rated that way for the first and second trimester of pregnancy. And you're always supposed to weigh the benefit to you versus any plausible effect on the fetus. That's why when I checked hydroxyzine and saw it was a class C drug, and it wasn't doing anything for me, I stopped taking it. But if it would have done wonders for my itching and to help me sleep, I think I would have kept taking it, because a full night's sleep and not in PUPPPS itch pain would have been worth it.

I'm sure you're fine!!!!!!! You have to take each case individually, which I'm sure your doc and you do. Don't worry about it. [​IMG]

Dr. Menna, I've taken Afrin for being all stuffed up ... I, too, have heard that it's really common in pregnancy. I'm not sure how safe Afrin (spray) is, but I've taken it because it was the only thing that cleared me up. If I remember right, you're in Egypt ... here in the US, we have Afrin (spray) that lasts for around 12 hours ... do you have anything like that where you are, so you aren't waking up every 30 minutes??? When I needed it, I wouldn't touch the Afrin during the day, and just kind of suffer, but would take it at night so I could sleep. The active ingredient is oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%.

12. Dr. Menna

Dear all,

thank you so much for sharing your experiences, they r really helpful.

Kindraplus, we do have afrin here, but guess what! it works with me just for 30 mins IF it does. I really consumed everything, whether it's class A or B, now what helps but for max an hour is vibrocil gel (Dimentadine Maleate & phenylafrin), it's class B though, but I really can't stop it, I would poor soup in my nose if it works.

My max sleep hour is for 1 hour, and i wake up with frontal headache and black eyes.

Marbear, I guess I'm gonna look for that sleeptab, I do need such things, THANKS.

It's not easy to be called "MOM"

[​IMG] for all of you.

~Menna~

13. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Maybe someone already said this, but are you sure you don' thave a sinus infection? I suffered for about 3 weeks, like you, before finally going to my regular doctor and getting antibiotics for it. It was gone within 4 days - such relief!
    I hope you feel better soon!