Natural Breech Delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Rose Wright, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Rose Wright

Rose Wright Well-Known Member

I had my three other kids naturally and they were all head down when the time came. Right now, my twins are Baby A head down, Baby B breech. Baby B does move a lot, so I'm hoping she will be head down by delivery day, but just in case, I want to be informed. For those that have had it done or know someone that has, if Baby B if breech on delivery day, how is that handled to vacillitate a natural delivery? I mean, do they have to manually turn the baby, if so, how?
    Thanks!

2. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

It depends on your Doc. With me, if Baby A is breech than it's a c/s which is what I am looking at now. If he turns then I can go for a vaginal delivery.

If Baby B were breech then my Dr explained that she would have a u/s machine there to monitor him and see if he turned after A was delivered. If he didn't she would reach up inside (ouch) and guide him out breech rather than try to turn him because with the delivery of Baby A paving the way, and with her experience, it it usually faster.

I would ask you provider what their technique is. There is also the possibility of delivering A vaginally and B via c/s depending on how well the babies are tolerating labor.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

if you can find a doctor trained to do it, and assuming all things being equal, there's no reason baby b can't be delivered vaginally in the breech position.

it sounds like the most common thing to do though is a breech extraction of baby b (this is where they would reach up inside you & pull baby b out - i've heard this is next to impossible to do without an epidural though as it can be very painful).

they can also attempt to turn baby b although i don't know much about this.

and it's also very possible that baby b will flip vertex on his/her own after baby a is born. this is exactly what happened to a friend of mine - her twins were both breech & after delivering baby a vaginally breech, her baby b flipped vertex & was born vaginally head down. doctors are always so quick to point out that if both babies are head down, baby b can flip breech after baby a is born but they often forget to mention that the opposite scenario is just as likely. :rolleyes:

i would definitely get some more info from your doc though - there are as many ways to approach this situation as there are doctors so it's good to know what your own doctor's policy is (and more importantly, why it's that way). knowing the why will help you make an informed decision. :good:

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There is definitely the possibility that Baby B could turn after Baby A is delivered. But in my case he didn't. The doctor, guided by another doctor with an ultrasound machine, reached in, grabbed both of his feet & pulled him out. His head got a bit stuck & they had to use forceps to ease him on out (but he was a big baby at 7 lbs 13 oz). I imagine it would be very painful without an epidural as it was pretty uncomfortable with the epidural. But at least it was quick, Luke was born 6 minutes after Lila. So, it can be done if your doctor is comfortable with the procedure! Good luck!

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant with my twins baby A was vertex for awhile while baby B was breech. They told me pretty much what the previous posters have said... if the baby didn't turn on his own they would reach up and pull him down. Ideally, though, with breech births it's best for the butt to present first, not the legs...but perhaps pulling the baby out with both legs is okay... I do know that when one leg is up by the head and the other is down it's very dangerous. But out of 4 doctors only 2 were comfortable with this baby b breech birth scenario. Two of the doctors said that if baby B didn't flip on his own I'd wind up with a c/s for him. So make sure that if you go to a large practice you know how ALL of your doctors feel about breech birth. As it stood my baby A went transverse, very snuggly cradled in my pelvis around 35 weeks...so vaginal delivery was no longer an option for me...little stinker.