natural home remedies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by doublefun4me!, Sep 11, 2007.

1. doublefun4me!

doublefun4me! Member

I am new here and am desperate for any natural home remedies for colds. It started last week and I have been unable to get an appt with my OB, so for now I have been bounced between 2 family practice doctors and they have no clue what I am or am not allowed to do...nothing against military hospitals, but for now I have just seen two interns who tell me it's alright to take anything I would normally take! I know that is FAR from true and so all I have tried humidifiers and vicks....The soonest appt with my OB is not until the 19th!!! I HOPE by then I'll be doing better! Any advice???

2. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

i have a few remedies, as i am fighting a cold now, too, and don't want to take anything. i'm pretty sure you can take benadryl, but i'm trying to hold out.

i sip plain hot water (or add a slice of lemon to it), as it soothes my throat and somehow the steam relieves my congestion. a warm shower also helps with the congestion.

i gargle with salt water, as saline has healing qualities. (my mom always told me that, but i never believed her until my doc told me!)

i use saline nose drops. learned that from when dd was sick as a baby. it relieves congestion, and apparently also has healing qualities (see above)....

and lots and lots of sleep, if possible.

3. doublefun4me!

doublefun4me! Member

Thank you sooo much... I hope you feel better too!

4. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

no problem. also, tylenol is generally safe to take while pregnant, so when my throat is really awful, i take that.

5. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I saw an Oprah episode where they extolled the virtues of the neti pot. It's basically a saltwater rinse for your sinuses. A couple weeks later, I was starting to get a sinus infection and I went ahead and did my own "neti pot" using a baby medicine syringe and it stung like a bugger (I later learned I'd used way too much salt) but it worked. The next day I had no signs of infection. I decided I'd do it again the next time I get a cold but use the correct amount of salt ;)

Hope you feel better soon.

6. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

So agree with pp. Gargling with warm salt water and using the nose netti. I too have a cold and this is what I am using. My doc said i could use any throat lozenges if needed though, and for a cough plain robitussen, but I too am trying to hold off on the OTC meds! Hope you feel better soon...all of you!

7. doublefun4me!

doublefun4me! Member

Thanks for all the help! I went back to the doctor today and found out that I have an bronchial infection and now I'm on antibiotics for this nast thing...ugh! I did try the salt water nasal solution and it seemed to help until I accidentaly started gagging which didn't lead to anything pretty! Thanks again & I hope everyone stays healthy!