Need a little advice

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by goofyjilly, Sep 4, 2009.

1. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

I have 3 month old twins. I have been trying to get them to nap in their crib and well it has been going really well so far. However my girl, who has reflux and it on meds which are going well doesn't like to sleep very long at all. I also have a problem getting her to eat enough to sleep for at least an hour at a time. I know it could be the reflux but she wakes up a little hungry and very tired. She will only then eat an ounce then go back to sleep. Is there anything I can do to get her to sleep longer and wait for the food or is this just the reflux and we have to go through this until she gets older and eats more? What do you think? Just curious. She doesn't eat much as it is and doesn't weigh too much.

2. raysNkids

raysNkids Active Member

Wish I could help you, but I don't have any experience in this department. Have you talked to the doctor about her eating and sleeping issue?

3. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

do you have her sleeping on an incline to keep the acid from rolling up when she is in her crib? my DD had reflux too and it was always a struggle to get the food into her. what level nipple are you using? if you went to a faster nipple she may take in more, but at the same time, it could aggravate her reflux... but it might be worth a try. [​IMG]

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

What are you doing to manage the reflux? What med is she on? Is it possible that she needs a different med or maybe a formula change. Both of mine had terrible reflux. We slept them on an incline, held them upright for 45 minutes after every feed even at night, they were on Prevacid, I had one on Alimentum for a possible milk allergy with added cereal to help keep the contents in the stomach and the other on Enfamil A/R.

5. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

She is on ailmentum and sleeps at an incline. She is on zantac 1.2 ML twice a day. She was on prevacid but it doesn't seem to do much and it is so hard to administer, didn't like that med at all. I just wish she would sleep longer. I do keep her up for 1/2 hour after she eats and burp her for awhile, I pretty much do all the things they want you to do for reflux. I just not sure how to get her to sleep longer or take more food in. I will contact my doctor and see what they say.

6. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

how long was she on the prevacid for? it took a full 2 weeks for the prevacid to start working for my DD, but after it started working it was MUCH more effective than zantac. it seems like she is already on a pretty good dose of zantac, but it is very weight sensitive so she may need it adjusted for maximum efficacy. i hope your doc can give you some good suggestions, it sounds like you are already doing everything right...

7. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

i agree with pp. the zantac did not work for my girls, but after two weeks of the prevacid it was like magic. they take it in liquid form and get it bubblegum flavored. also, changing their formula helped a lot as well.