Need a little encouragement

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by rosenschaf, Jan 16, 2009.

1. rosenschaf

rosenschaf Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone -
    Two days ago I woke up to the worst cold I have had in years. My throat is so sore that I can't eat anything and have trouble drinking. Yesterday I barely drank a liter. Anything I do manage to eat comes up again during my coughing spells. Last night I could barely sleep because anytime I lie down I get the worst acid reflux. My doc recommended cough sirup and an antacid, but neither one is helping much.
    I'm worried about my two boys - I have BH contraction so much with all the coughing and not being able to drink or eat doesn't seem like the best thing for them either. My husband called the doctor again and she said she'd give me IV fluids if I can't keep anything down over the weekend.
    I'm just really tired and exhausted and needed to vent a little. If you have anymore suggestions on how to make it better quickly, I'd be really grateful!
    Thanks for reading...
    Rachel

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Bless your heart!!

The IV fluids may not be a bad idea. I would probably go in for those and see if there is anything else your OB can do for you. I hope you feel better very soon!!

:hug:
    Heather

3. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

If the reflux continues, try Nexium or Protonix...those saved me during the last 3 months of my pregnancy!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Jan 16 2009, 08:02 AM) [snapback]1149470[/snapback]
    The IV fluids may not be a bad idea. I would probably go in for those and see if there is anything else your OB can do for you.

I agree with Heather. Feel better soon. :hug:

5. zanybebe

zanybebe Well-Known Member

When I got really sick my Primary doctor gave me some of the cough syrup with codeine which he said is perfectly safe to use temporarily while pregnant. It helped my cough tremendously and helped me sleep (which I hadn't done in 4 days). I also had bad heartburn/reflux and took Zantac which was approved by my OB. It worked really well also. I actually only had to take it once and haven't had to take it since.

I hope you feel better soon. I've been there this pregnancy with the strep throat, cough, heartburn etc. Maybe some antibiotics would help. Thinking of you.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definetly ask for something for the cough AND the reflux. I've been on nexium this whole pregnancy but I have reflux even when I'm not pregnant :hug:

I agree the IV fluids may help, especially with the contractions because dehydration can cause contractions!

7. expecting2more

expecting2more Active Member

I agree with getting something serious for the reflux. I started out taking Zantac and it didn't do much. I switched over to Prilosec and my life is so much better. Sorry about the cold...they should be able to give you fluids to at least keep you hydrated.
    Hand in there!

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Zantac and Gaviscon were lifesavers for me when I was pg and had horrid reflux - hope you feel better soon!