Need advice on where to put my computer

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We're moving in two weeks and I am undecided on where to put my computer... with them in the living room or in the dining room (out of sight)? The computer is my main source of entertainment so I have to keep that in mind... I ordered a desk with a lockable door and holes to put cables so it will be safe... The kids play on their own pretty well as long as they don't see me, if I'm in the room with them but doing something else they usually start whining after 10 minutes. The living room will be totally baby proof, larger than what they have now, with only a couch and their play stuff (lucky kids).

Pretty much... if I put it in the living room, I can keep an eye on them more easily, but they will complain most of the time and I'm afraid our dog will bark because he will be behind the gate... and if I put it in the living room, the dog will be happy, the kids will whine less, but I won't be able to check on them as much.

Sigh... what would you do? The other option is to put it just outside the gate but it will be even worse whining-wise.

2. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Is your dining room in view at all of the living room/play area? I have my laptop set up in the dining room. They can't get to me, because other areas are gated off before they can get here. They can easily go up to the gates and see me, so sometimes they will do that and whine. Sometimes they stop quickly and go back to play. I think they just need the reassurance that I'm still here. I can hear them, and see them a little bit, but not all the time - I have a partial view of them. I think it works out well because if I/they were completely in view they'd probably whine the whole time. I always have a sense of where they are and what they are doing, but I'm not right on top of them. It's been working well. But who knows. Maybe once they start climbing more and getting into things I hadn't even thought of yet, I'll have to be watching them more. I don't get long long stretches anyway, but maybe 15-20 minutes at a time before I have to go back in and play with them. But it's a happy medium and I'll take what I can get. I do like that I can leave my computer and work spread out on the table without worrying about them getting into it.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

It's not in view, well, a part of the room is, but probably not where my computer would be.

4. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

if they whine when youre in sight i would definitely put it in the dining room lol.

5. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:57 PM) [snapback]1343814[/snapback]
    It's not in view, well, a part of the room is, but probably not where my computer would be.

If you can at least hear them from the dining room, I would still put my computer in there.

6. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

my computer is in a different room from my kids so i basically only use it when they are alseep. that kind of sucks but i will not go on it when they are awake for more than a minute or so at a time because i just don't feel it's safe to be out of the room from them for longer than a couple minutes (and i'm always w/in earshot). because of that, i don't get to use the computer very much:(.

however, i know if it were close to them they would also want to be around me. or touch the computer or the cords, or whatever.... so for me, the best decision is to have it in another room and stay off it most of the day.....

i think you really just have to figure out what will work best for the kids, you, the safety of the kids, your sanity, etc.

gl, jl

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Sadly there will be *nothing* in the living room, so I'll lose my mind if I just have to sit with them all day - I really admire moms who can, but I can't. I can't even read if they are around because they just whine and whine to get on my lap then play with the book...

And yeah the dining room won't be farther than where the office is now so I'll definitely be in ear shot, and can just go in the doorway to see them... I just can't help thinking that even if the room is safe, eventually they'll manage to climb the gate or something...

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's a tough question. Personally, I'd rather be where I could see the kids so I would put the computer in the living room. But I would have to agree you have to consider their safety and your sanity. Good luck on your decision!

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Good luck - what a tough decision. Let us know what you decide!

10. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Our computer is in the kitchen. The playroom is adjacent to it. They can't see me so I can catch a quick 5-10 mins sometimes. Also during feeding time I can play baby einstein and it's great! This is the only time they watch tv. I can run two windows and so can keep TS going and an online newspaper for sneaky peaks! Good luck with whatever you decide.