Need encouragement and some help: Update

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by txtwinmom2b, Oct 18, 2006.

1. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

I had my twins October 9, they were born 6 weeks early.

I tried nursing at the breast but they were losing too much weight. So the pedi suggesting supplementing and limiting 20 min at the breast since it takes more energy to BF.

Uggh, the pedi was horrible. I told her that I'd like to BF, because I felt it was better for them, but would supplement if I needed to. She went on this tirade that her daughter was ff'ed and was so smart, etc etc. She didn't hear the part that I didn't mind supplementing..

Still lost weight. So the o/c dr (who was MUCH more supportive of bf'ing) suggested this flexible 3 hour schedule (meaning the MOST they can go without a feeding is 3 hours, but to feed them when they're hungry). She suggested one BF session a day, and pump after every feeding. She had us add this BM fortifier.

I'm now pumping enough for both where we don't have to supplement.

Ryker is a GREAT nurser. He has no problems going from breast to bottle.

Ronin (he's the smallest of them) is having trouble nursing at the breast. He won't even open his mouth. When I finally get him latched on, he won't nurse..

Is there ANY way I can get him to nurse? Any suggestions?

I successfully nursed my daughter, but this has just been so different since they were 6 weeks premature.

2. txtwinmom2b

I had my twins October 9, they were born 6 weeks early.

I tried nursing at the breast but they were losing too much weight. So the pedi suggesting supplementing and limiting 20 min at the breast since it takes more energy to BF.

Uggh, the pedi was horrible. I told her that I'd like to BF, because I felt it was better for them, but would supplement if I needed to. She went on this tirade that her daughter was ff'ed and was so smart, etc etc. She didn't hear the part that I didn't mind supplementing..

Still lost weight. So the o/c dr (who was MUCH more supportive of bf'ing) suggested this flexible 3 hour schedule (meaning the MOST they can go without a feeding is 3 hours, but to feed them when they're hungry). She suggested one BF session a day, and pump after every feeding. She had us add this BM fortifier.

I'm now pumping enough for both where we don't have to supplement.

Ryker is a GREAT nurser. He has no problems going from breast to bottle.

Ronin (he's the smallest of them) is having trouble nursing at the breast. He won't even open his mouth. When I finally get him latched on, he won't nurse..

Is there ANY way I can get him to nurse? Any suggestions?

I successfully nursed my daughter, but this has just been so different since they were 6 weeks premature.

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Yay for pumping enough to stop using formula! [​IMG]

I'm sorry about the pedi. I'm sure her ff DD is plenty smart, but she shouldn't go off on you because you want to do something different than she did. Perhaps she feels guilty for not bfing. I know from experience that a lot of people judge moms who ff pretty harshly and ff moms can get defensive easily.

The only advice I have is to continue pumping and feeding them ebm. When they are closer to their due date then start adding in bfing sessions until they are completely bf. I'm not sure what to say about Ronin... maybe try hand expressing some milk so you have a few drops on your nipple, maybe that will encourage him to nurse.

Keep up the good work, it's harder feeding twins in the beginning, but it makes life a lot easier later on. [​IMG]

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. [​IMG] Your ped has some issues. I actually changed because of my peds. bf opinions. WTG for getting them on EBM! No matter how you get it in them, it is still giving them it's benefits.

Ok, setting a 20 minute limit is smart. They do tire. Have you tried inserting your pinky in his mouth, (top rear) to stimulate the sucking reflex? Take out finger, insert breast. Another trick is to make him mad. That will get the mouth open and him more awake.

I hope this helps. I had one who didn't want to nurse, but I'm happy to report that she is now my chunky monkey!!!

5. VA Mommy2be

VA Mommy2be Member

Hi. Congrats on your new babies! My twins were born 7 weeks early and because of that they couldn't nurse too long because they became too tired. I put them to the breast at least once a day, and as they became stronger and more alert, I breastfed them when they were willing. This took weeks...they were able to breastfeed for all feedings (8-10/day) at 6 weeks. When mine were the age of yours, I fed them EBM every three hours and did supplement with preemie formula twice daily for 4 weeks to get their weights up. I pumped before giving them formula to keep my supply going. I wish you the best and keep at it...you're doing the best for your babies.

6. chinook

chinook Member

Hi,

I had my twins 6 weeks early as well and BFing has been a real challenge. They'll be 5 weeks tomorrow.

All of the LC's I've seen, both while we were in SCN and the public health ones, recommended using nipple shields. It was the only way they would take to the breast for the first 3 weeks for my daughter and until this past Sunday for my son. The SCN LC said that preemies are often lacking someting anatomical (can't remember what exactly - fat pads?) in their jaws to be able to suckle effectively on bare breast, so the shields make it easier for them. As time has gone on they've both come far enough to nurse on the bare breast, it's like all of a sudden one day they were just able to, before that they'd just sit there and not know what to do with my boob.

Also, all of the LC's and a breastfeeding doc I've seen have said preemies almost always come off of the shields with time (whereas it can be difficult to get full-term infants off).

They've been helpful to me so I thought I'd mention it.

[​IMG]

7. txtwinmom2b

Wow, thanks guys!! This really gives me hope!!

I tried nursing Ronin this time with the nipple shield. He did much better this time! Still didn't nurse very long, but I think we're making progress!

8. txtwinmom2b

Just thought I'd update!!

We have stopped all bottles, and BOTH boys are now exclusively nursing! We went to their 2 month appt and these are their stats:

Ronin who was 4 lbs 11 oz is now 9 lbs 6 oz
    Ryker who was 5 lbs 12 oz is now 11 lbs 2 oz

I'm very proud of myself for sticking to it!

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm so proud of you too!! Great job!! [​IMG]

10. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Keep up the good work! I'm impressed and thank you for the update! [​IMG]

11. 3sweetps

3sweetps Well-Known Member

Awesome job mama!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks so much for the update. You have a lot to be proud of and your boys are very blessed. Hopefully this will encourage other moms out there to stick with it.

12. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

Your story is very inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing!